Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I plant veggies outside already?

Posted by poppyhead Z5 Longmont (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 20, 08 at 16:08

I was on a mission to find vermiculite today(couldn't find any of course) and found that they were already selling vegetables at the nursery. Brocolli, cauliflower, lettuce greens...

This is my first time ever veggie gardening so I have no clue.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I plant veggies outside already?

I'm not sure where Longmont is, so I can't say for sure, but around here, the nurseries start selling plants long before it's safe to plant them. The year I bought my house, I got to plant the garden three times. The first two times, it warmed up and stayed that way for a while, there were plants for sale everywhere, so I figured it must be ok. But we get a lot of late freezes and snows. It seems like every time I try to plant early, I plant more than once and every time I'm patient I could have gotten away with planting early.

o

Usually they start hawking plants at Easter, but this year it is early. I don't start planting until 4/15, and I am in Zone 7, and since you are between Denver & Ft. Collins I would wait until 4/30. The soil needs warmth.

Here is a link that might be useful: Propagating Perennials

o

• Posted by skybird z5, Denver, CO (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 20, 08 at 19:14

Here's something that might help you get started, Poppy. Not sure where I found this, but it might have been from somebody else here on RMG last year!

If you scroll down to page 4, there's a chart to help with "when to plant for what."

And here's a link to another site somebody posted here last year. It shows how many days it takes for different veggies to germinate at different soil temperatures. You can easily measure your soil temp if you have an instant-read meat thermometer in the kitchen. Just stick it in the soil a few inches (in several different places) to see how much your soil has warmed up already.
Soil Temperature Germination Guide

I think you should be pretty close to being able to put out any of the cole crops (broccoli, etc.) or lettuce, but if you're buying them at a garden center and they were inside when you bought them, be sure you harden them off gradually before you actually plant them in the ground, and then watch the temps carefully for the first several days in case it gets COLD out, in which case you might need to cover them overnite.

Have fun with your veggie learnin' this year,
Skybird

Here is a link that might be useful: Vegetable Planting Guide

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here