Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dug up bulbs in the garden today...

Posted by mayberrygardener z5b, Arvada, CO (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 29, 14 at 16:15

what are your thoughts on cutting down the tops of these? Some of them (I think they're daffodils) are trying to bloom, and have pretty good bulbs and roots on them, but some of them are just leggy, partly because they were SO DEEP in the dirt and had to climb 6 or 8 inches to get some sunlight. I'm thinking about leaving them because they have at least SOME green on them, to feed the bulb, which has just had a rude spring awakening...
I think I'll give the leggy, thready ones a haircut, and leave the ones that have a pretty good leaf as-is?

Well, now I'm having technical difficulties posting a pic of my artwork as the phone won't talk to the computer right now. Anyone else HATE Windows 8?

Anyone else out there making mud pies today?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dug up bulbs in the garden today...

I wouldn't give them a hair-cut, what ever green surfaces are there to build the bulb up for next years' blooms.

Theoretically, one is supposed to remember where they are and dig them up after the foliage dies down - then replant them in the fall. Thats certainly the easiest way to do it, the bulbs are all nicely formed.

However, I've dug them up in May and pulled them apart and planted them everywhere, big mess, and they made it just fine - lost a year flowering, but two years later, they were back in stride.

o

One of my old garden mentors used to just bend them over and rubber band them leaving the greenery intact, but more compact.

o

Until the foliage turns brown, the more expose to sunlight the stronger the bulb. The bulb needs about six weeks after blooming and foliage turning brown to set the new flower for next year.
Smdmt

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here