Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blackberries and raspberry varieties in UTAH

Posted by babdav 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 17, 11 at 16:52

New gardenweb member here. looking to plant some blackberry and raspberries, hoping for YOUR input on successful and tasty varieties in utah.

*****RASPBERRIES:

SAANITCH
WILLAMETT
CASCADE BOUNTY
TULAMEEN (excited for this one)
CUMBERLAND
HERITAGE
LATHAM

***BLACKBERRIES!
Arapaho
LOGAN
BLACK DIAMOND
TRIPLE CROWN

I know a little bit about each of these but its difficult to find much PRACTICAL info. Sellers usually all say the same thing "DELICIOUS high yield wonderful" blah blah. :)

using process of elimination, i think i will ditch the arapaho, willamette and latham. They seem to be the least desirable so far. Thanks for your input everyone!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blackberries and raspberry varieties in UTAH

I don't live in Utah and don't grow berries but found some info for you with a quick google search: Blackberries in Utah

Growing Raspberries and Blackberries in the Inland Northwest and the Intermountain West See page 20 for a table of recommended varieities.

You should probably check with your cooperative extension office to see what they recommend for your county: Utah University Cooperative Extension Offices You certainly don't want to get a variety that becomes an invasive weed - ask the folks in Oregon about blackberries!

I hope these links will be useful.

Here is a link that might be useful: Utah Berry Grows Association Newsletter

o

shucks. that link didnt work (growing raspberries and blackberries in the inland.....)

I have been asking around a bit and have discovered the following varieties to be good for utah. These are also available at nurseries and hardware stores like the borg.

heritage (small, long season, hardy)
canby (similar red rasp)
cascade rasp
caroline (large, excellent flavor, shorter season)
polka (great flavor, med large)

black diamond blackberry?
Triple crown (vigorous, large berries, thornless)

still learning. will post more later.

any other experience in the mountain west about brambles and cane berries?

o

Hey babday, I live in central Utah at 6,000 ft. (sanpete co) and the triple crown won't make it here as the flower buds winter kill. Chester grows and bears pretty good here.
By far the best rasp. for me has been Caroline and I also do well with a yellow rasp. called Anne.
By far the most important factors are good culture(moisture, mulch, pruning). I have had real problems with raspberry crown borer; it is more common than you might think.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here