Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
matoad_gw

which groundcovers love sun?

matoad_gw
17 years ago

I have battled an area of grass in front yard close to the side walk and I won't take it anymore!! By July it is dying and looks terrible. Right now it hasn't filled in yet and I am thinking of putting a goundcover here and there that will fill in. BUT, the area gets sun from sunrise until midafternoon. And of course I try to conserve water by only watering twice a week. Any ideas?

Comments (6)

• cnetter
    17 years ago

Dragon's Blood sedum is the first thing that comes to mind.

• plantladyco
    17 years ago

creeping phlox
    wooly thyme
    ice plant

• david52 Zone 6
    17 years ago

If its in full sun, ice plant is wonderful and blooms most the summer. I did a quick google but it wasn't helpful. I have a variety of ice plant with the magenta bloom that was a Plant Select several years ago, and I have forgotten the specific variety. The plant select folks have since introduced other varieties and thats all that I can find.

Dragons blood sedum is very hard to kill.

• matoad_gw
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you all so much. I am heading to Paulino's to check these out. Mary Ann

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    17 years ago

Hi Mary Ann,

Just in case you happen to see this before you go! Unless they started putting perennials out yesterday or today, PaulinoÂs doesnÂt have anything out yet. In a "normal" year they usually start getting out the perennials in early to mid April, but with as warm as itÂs been, people are chomping at the bit, so theyÂll be getting them out as soon as theyÂre organized enough to get it done.

If youÂd like to take a drive up to Thornton, IÂd be glad to give you (unrooted) cuttings of 5 or 6 different ground cover sedumÂs and a couple different ice plants. I have Delosperma ÂKelaidisÂ, Mesa Verde iceplant, which is one of the newest PlantSelect ones, and I have Delosperma basuticum ÂWhite NuggetÂ, which is just like ÂGold Nugget except it has sparkling white flowers. ItÂs a sport of ÂGold Nugget that was discovered by Kelly Grummons, now part-owner of Timberline, when he was working at PaulinoÂs, so PaulinoÂs have the patent on it. And I could throw in a couple different (unrooted) hen & chicksÂ1 or 2 of eachÂI gave a bunch away last fall, so I donÂt have a real oversurplus right now!

IÂm at 128th and Colorado Blvd. PM me to let me know it youÂre interested. (If you PM me, post here that you did so I can watch for it. Something happened here at GW when iV took over, and I donÂt get replies to posts anymore, so I donÂt know if IÂd get a PM or not!)

All of these are succulents and will LOVE the sun and take very little water, but will spread more quickly if theyÂre watered every week or two. And, once you have a small plant started or each, they will soon become BIG plants and youÂll have as many of your own cuttings as you want to plant other places! (This is some of the stuff IÂll have at a plant swap if we have one later in the year.)

Happy free plants,
    Skybird

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Gold Nugget' - 'White Nugget' is the same but white!

• matoad_gw
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Skybird- just read your very kind offer!! I should have kept checking this post about groundcovers. Now I am not sure what I am going to do- my husband had some other ideas for this area near the sidewalk. I will contact you if I decide to take your offer. Thank you much!!