Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ryansr

Food to give..

ryansr
15 years ago

During the times we live in it is increasingly important to remember those who are in need, and to do out part to help our communities.

My family and I will be growing and extra bed of produce this year with the specific intent to donate it to a local food bank. I would like to find others who would be willing to do the same. If I find enough people, I will start some sort of group where we can exchange advice,problems and ideas. If you are not in the Denver area, thats ok, please join in!

Any takers? If you need help finding a food bank in you're area that will accept fresh produce, please let me know and I will try to help.

Comments (8)

• jclepine
    15 years ago

What an awesome idea! Yes, please do post a link or info about food banks that accept fresh produce.

I'm not enough of a food grower to have much extra but I do know that the services we donate too do not take fresh produce. Or, if they do, they do not take it from individuals. I'll bet there are those who'd like to know where they can share their home growns.

We give to EFAA in Boulder and to the food bank that stands outside the Safeway (who are they?) I'm not sure that they don't accept it, that is just what they told us.

I think it is a great idea!!!

Thank you.

J.

• margaretmontana
    15 years ago

Here in the Bitter Root Valley we take our extras to Haven House in Hamilton and those in Stevensville take theirs to Pantry Partners. We have done this for a lot of years and they are always so grateful. The LDS church used to grow a garden for donations but lost the use of the land they were using. The Community Garden takes any leftovers that people have grown there.

• lilacs_of_may
    15 years ago

I'm afraid this year I'm going to need everything that I can grow in my garden. And I'm going to dedicate as much space to the garden as I can.

Can you give over your front yard to produce in Aurora?

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    15 years ago

margaret, I have many happy memories of your valley, I hope the green is returning after your fires. One of the finest sights in my view was coming down Chief Joseph Pass to a valley seemingly completely covered in bitterroot flowers. Sigh...

Lilacs, likely in Aurora the front yard design is up to the HOA-Metro District and not the City; if you have covenants, it's the HOA. We are considering being the first on the block to rip up the treelawn and replace with a perennial bed, must submit to the HOA Design Review Board. We have the tree replacement already and the better half is toting it around to classes before it goes in the ground.

Dan

• phloxy_mary
    15 years ago

Ryansr, I'll check with Sister Carmen in Lafayette to see if they accept fresh veggies. If so, I can definitely donate once I get 'em goin'! Thanks for the string! It's so imporant to find ways to give and share in times like these. Bless you. Phloxy

• david52 Zone 6
    15 years ago

We've occasionally given extra stuff to one of the local nursing homes - it's best to call ahead a day or so to let them know what you have.

But if ever there was an appreciative audience for home-grown vegetables, it's a nursing home full of elderly farm folks.

• billie_ladybug
    15 years ago

Local churches are always good. They usually have a few needy families they will give it to after Sunday Mass. I know all three of our neighborhood churches do that. They like to help the community.

Billie

• irisgirl
    15 years ago

Hi Ryansr, Like lilacs I will need every square inch I have of garden space to feed us (4). However, I do know some folks who will have excess again; so please keep me in your loop for donating! And bless you for your generous spirit!