Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
krisco013_gw

Planting Berries in CO Front Range

krisco013
10 years ago

I found some berry plants over the weekend along with grapes. I have never tried berries or grapes in my garden/yard before, but have had decent luck with most of the veggies I have tried. I saw the tips and suggestions for the recent post on grapes, but do you all have any suggestions on planting berries in CO? I have seen lots of information and just want to make sure that I plant them correctly so that I can get a good harvest. From what I am seeing, I will not get berries off of the plants this year but will start seeing fruit next year, correct?

I currently have the plants indoors in 5 gallon buckets, staying moist, under my grow lights (I haven't planted them in soil in the buckets yet though). My plan is to plant them in the buckets and keep them inside for now and then transplant them once it is warm enough. I have 1 heritage raspberry plant, 1 triple crown blackberry plant, and 1 (unsure of variety - I can check when I get home) blueberry plant. Any suggestions for soil additives is much appreciated as well. My yard has areas that are more shaded or straight sunlight along the fences where I was planning on planting them. Also, do I need more than 1 plant of any of these in order to cross-pollinate or such?

Other than the fence that will be behind the plant, any suggestions for trellises would be helpful as well.

I love to make berry jams and thought these plants would be a great addition to my garden, but unfortunately I am new to non-veggie gardening. I really do appreciate any suggestions! Thanks!

Comments (3)