Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jamie_mt

'08 Garden Evolution & '09 Plans (Photo intensive)

jamie_mt
15 years ago

I thought I'd post a quick recap of our gardening project(s) last year, which didn't seem like much when we were planning it, but looks like a lot now that I look back on it! Last year was our first using a greenhouse, and the culmination of a couple year's prep work in setting up our garden space.

In March last year, we were putting up a fence (to keep my dogs out of the garden), and I was planting bare root roses, which weren't much to look at. Here's what we started with:

{{gwi:254529}}

We moved the raised bed from the year before, and built a second one for a little extra room:

All the mulch is covering an insane amount of weed-mat. That whole garden area was covered with bindweed, and I spent most of last summer weeding religiously to pull up anything that dared pop through the mulch. I think we are definitely making progress!

Then we covered the area in front of the greenhouse with stone, and built two planters outside the door. It's too hot there for the roses I planted, but I'll find something else for this year. That area was all bindweed and grass.

Our veggies just sort of took off, and the extra fence I put at the back of the bed really worked well to tie them up:

The second veggie bed:

The fence-line in July...and *more* mulch:

The "River of Thyme" didn't really start filling in until September, at which time my attention was turning heavily towards our annual Halloween Bash. You can kind of see it in this picture of our zinnias though, which sprang up *everywhere* after I just sort of tossed seed out in the spring:

The mini-roses did well too - I put them all in this little curve of the "river" with our resident gnome:

And of course our little fountain at the end of the "river":

So this year's plans include:

- A "waterfall" fountain feature at the beginning of our river

- We need to figure out how to prune our purple leaf sand cherries, as this is their third year, and time for pruning.

- A two-tiered raised bed in that wide open space on the "other side" of the river that is currently just mulch

- Clematis vines on the fence across from the greenhouse (with the roses & dahlias)

- Better control of the zinnias so they don't shade out my roses. :-)

- A couple rhubarb plants to the south of my original raised beds.

- Another layer of posts on the original raised beds, to increase the soil space. To stop the bindweed, we had to lay weed mat under the beds too, so we need more soil depth in the beds.

- Shade plants for a prepped-but-not-planted garden off the patio

We're also going to start landscaping a couple other areas of the yard...no plantings in those areas this year, just clean up and infrastructure (stone retaining walls to create raised gardens, I think). We're building a shed and want two shade gardens on either side, and thinking about landscaping the back fence line (outside the pictured garden area) as well.

Lots of work...but just looking at these pictures motivates *me* to keep on working! Maybe it will inspire/motivate someone else too?

Thanks for looking... :-)

Jamie (Billings, MT)

Comments (13)

• jclepine
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous!!!

I just love seeing photos of in-progress work. They make it so much more fun and I can be a part of the process, well, virtually!

One day, I might actually rip everything out, remove the weeds, put in a weed barrier and put it all back in.

Bindweed, ack!

Thanks for sharing!

Jennifer

• jamie_mt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Jennifer - glad you enjoyed it! :-)

I cleaned out the greenhouse this past Saturday...and Sunday, it started snowing (and hasn't really quit yet). *eyeroll*

• highalttransplant
    15 years ago

Great job, Jamie! I can't wait to see how everything progresses this year. I feel your pain on the bindweed issue. I think I spend half of my summer pulling it out. It's not too bad in the perennial beds, but it's all through the yard, and there is a patch that I'm trying to contain in the vegetable bed. I'd like to add rhubard somewhere too, but it may require ripping out a couple of mums to do it.

My new projects for this year include, making a small corner bed next to the pergola, planting grapevines for the pergola, and adding a peach tree. This is also the year I'm going to come up with the PERFECT container combo of annual flowers from all of my wintersown seedlings, LOL.

I've also got another corner in the backyard, that I can't seem to decide what to do with. The phone and utility boxes are located there, and so is the irrigation pump, so I have to be careful about planting that area, but I sure would like to hide all of that stuff. Open for suggestions on that one.

Thanks for sharing your pictures!

Bonnie

• digit
    15 years ago

Well, I looked carefully for the "Halloween Bash" in that photo wondering what the heck it might be. Bush? Annual? Fiiinaaaally, I realized that it was the "River of Thyme" you were directing our attention to. Does spending 5 minutes trying to see around the zinnias count? And, are you saying that you spend nearly 2 months planning a "Bash" for Halloween? You got room for one more at this year's bash?

There's a lot of work showing in those photo's. Very, very well done!

digitSteve

I don't pull bindweed in the ornamentals, spend enuf time pulling it out of the veggies. No, in the ornamentals I want lots of leaf growth to catch the Round-up! Ha, ha! . . . and then I come back - and spray it again!

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    15 years ago

Hi Jamie,

Thats quite a project you have going on there! What a lot of work! IÂm anxious to see the thyme blooming when it starts to fill in more. If the plants I see in the River behind the zinnias are the thyme, theyÂre big enough that you could start taking "plugs" out of the center of the plants to start new plants in other places. That would help them fill in faster, and if you dig out part of the center of the plant, it should fill back in very quickly, yet still allow the existing plants to keep spreading from the outer edges. What kind of thyme did you decide to put in?

One other thing! Is the spot where youÂre going to plant the clematis in the picture, or is it a ways away from the rock mulched area in front of the greenhouse? Clematis like cool roots, and if theyÂre planted right next to all the rock, I think youÂre gonna have trouble with them. With our hot sun, it really helps if you can mulch a fairly big area around the roots with a THICK layer of a natural wood mulch, or, even better, plant some short plants around the roots that will get big enough to shade the entire root area of the clematis.

And I second what Digit said about the bindweed! I was lucky with my veggie garden because the soil in that area was all in a big heap when I bought the house, and as I spread it out I spent several hours sifting, by hand, thru it to remove as many of the roots as I possibly could. Then, the first year of the garden, I carefully dug up the plants that came up from the few remaining bits of root that was left in the soil. The second year I had to dig out just a few more that still came up, and since then my veggie garden has been bindweed free! And I make darn sure to watch for seedlings that come up and pull them before they grow enough roots to become established. But in the perennial beds, and in the grass, I spray them! Hand pulling will slow them down, and if you keep it up long enough, it will eventually kill themÂbut "long enough" is going to be years and yearsÂand YEARS! There are a few places in my main perennial bed where it was coming up from, and well established, below the landscape fabric that was in there when I bought the house, and IÂve been spraying them for 5 years now, and theyÂre still coming up! Much weaker than they were in the beginning, but still coming up! When they do, I let them grow enough foliage to be worth spraying, pull all the foliage away from the perennials, and get Âem! Around the perennials I use Roundup, and when I find some coming up in the grass I use Weed-B-Gon. ItÂs taken a while, but IÂm winning the battleÂand I WILL win the war!

Keep reviving this thread over the summer to show us more "progression" pictures.

I just checked NOAA, and it looks like no gardening right now! More snow heading your way tomorrowÂand COLD!!!

Stay warm,
    Skybird

• jamie_mt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks all. :-)

Bonnie, I look forward to seeing your pictures of all that. A peach tree - wow! And I'm still trying to figure out how to get my annual containers looking good too...I have petunia seeds coming to start, and will get geraniums from our annual "Geranium Fest" in May. Maybe this year we'll both get good pots...

Steve - I'm not sure how to say this without sounding completely insane, but my husband and I spend far more than 2 months on our annual Halloween party. We...uh...start planning/working on it the day after the previous one, truth be told (it's always the weekend before Halloween). We just start the actual *decorating* 2 months before - it takes that long to do the whole house, and finish with the yard. Of course, there's always room for 1 (or several) more people at the party! :-) I just got our first order of props for this year's theme yesterday, along with another order of seeds for the greenhouse.

Those zinnias just went *crazy* last summer - I just tossed the seeds out in the spring, and they took over *everything*! I'm going to start seeds in the greenhouse this year, so I can put them where I want them - they tried to smother out my roses last year, and that just won't do...

Skybird, those plants in the river are indeed, thyme - I think it's "Mother of Thyme", but have forgotten how to spell the Latin name at the moment. Thanks for the tip about pulling plugs from the middle! I think I'll do that when it warms up a bit, and see if we can't get it spreading better. We want that whole river bottom covered with thyme eventually. I forgot to add that my hubby will be building a bridge over the river this year too.

Like I said, with the bindweed, we just went into pure smothering/pulling mode. And between the weed mat and several inches of thick mulch, it's not anywhere *near* as bad as it was. I'll continue to hand-pull it though...I'm not a fan of chemicals in the garden (even on ornamentals), and it's not too big of a chore to go out and weed every other week or so. It really is a million times better than it was though - that whole mulch-covered area was just wall to wall (so to speak) bindweed...that's a big part of why we decided to landscape that whole section of the yard.

As for the Clematis, they'll be planted along the "dividing fence" line, not out by the greenhouse. Their roots will be underneath roses, dahlias, and mulch, and with any luck, they'll grow all over that green garden fence. So I think they'll do okay - they'll get southern sun for most of the day, but lots of shade for their roots at the same time.

Here's my freshly cleaned out greenhouse from Saturday (when it was around 90 in there with the door and windows open):

And a partial view from my back door yesterday. It's still snowing today, of course...Brrrr!

I am glad I didn't start seeds as early this year. Last year, I had them in the greenhouse already by now, and it was a pain to keep the heat up when a similar cold snap hit the first part of March. I decided to wait a couple weeks this year, and I'm glad I did!

• digit
    15 years ago

Jamie, that looks a little like my backyard.

Four inches of snow . . .

We are starting to get record low, HIGH temperatures.

I'm not happy about trying to keep the little plants that will soon need to go out in the greenhouse - warm! Well, I'm happy now because they are inside with me. But, soon . . .

DD is several miles away with a car door frozen open. I'm not sure if it wouldn't be better if it was frozen shut. Time to warm up the truck.

d'Steve

• davies-cc
    15 years ago

Back around 1980 there was a pop song, I think it was by the Alan Parsons Project, with the lyrics: "Thyme, keeps flowing like a river... to the sea."

Silly me, I thought he meant "time".

• jillybillyg
    15 years ago

Jamie mt,
    Bubble wrap on the inside of the greenhouse in winter? I love this idea. Thank you for posting the pics. How long do you keep the bubblewrap up? Are you growing all winter?
    I see you do use a supplement heater. I use one in my greenhouse but I don't have any type of film or plastic on the inside. I bet that makes a HUGE difference.
    XOXO,
    Jilly Billy.

• jamie_mt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Jilly Billy, the bubble wrap stayed up year round last year, because I only use my greenhouse in the spring, and I'm lazy. :-) It would be far too costly (and frustrating) to try to keep the heat high enough in there during our coldest months to grow things, not to mention I don't want to be wading through snow to get water out there in sub-zero temps any more than absolutely necessary. The bubble wrap helps the heater keep the temps around 50-60 degrees overnight, without it, I was having a hard time early last spring during a few cold snaps (well, it was hard to keep the heat up even with the wrap in late Feb).

I may go ahead and take the bubble wrap down in May this year, when the heater isn't working as hard at night, to help acclimate the plants to full sunlight. I need to clean underneath it anyways, but then I'll put it back up so it's ready to go for next spring again. :-)

• laura_42
    15 years ago

Ooo, how I would love to have a greenhouse! Fabulous pics, Jamie.

Here's a few photos of my garden last year.

Nothing but dirt at first:

{{gwi:1193481}}

Then, after what felt like forever, things began to grow:

{{gwi:1193483}}

The sun got to be a bit intense at times, so I improvised with an old sheet:

{{gwi:1193486}}

By July, things were picking up quite a bit:

{{gwi:1193488}}

First pepper:

{{gwi:1193490}}

Then a nasty hailstorm came, right as the garden was looking its best. *sigh*

{{gwi:1193492}}

Hail damage:

{{gwi:1193494}}

{{gwi:1193495}}

{{gwi:1193496}}

{{gwi:1193497}}

The mutant cucumbers that followed:

{{gwi:1193498}}

{{gwi:1193499}}

{{gwi:1193500}}

An autumn pic:

{{gwi:1193501}}

Cleaned up for winter:

{{gwi:1193502}}

Strawberries in November. Who knew?

{{gwi:1193503}}

Miraculous mums:

{{gwi:1193505}}

(and finally) The Kale That Would Not Die:

{{gwi:1193506}}

• jamie_mt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow, Laura - thanks so much for sharing! Talk about garden ups and downs, eh? Bummer about the hail storm...

Your garden space is so neat and tidy, and even cleaned up for winter. My neighbor and I are of the exceedingly lazy persuasion - neither of us clean up in the fall, so we're both out there in late March/April cleaning up and getting things ready to plant. :-)

I can't wait to see your garden as it grows this year, hopefully without the mid-season hail storm!

• laura_42
    15 years ago

And thank YOU for starting this thread -- it's so neat to have found a place to share my newbie gardening adventures.

It's fairly easy to have a tidy garden when it's so small. *grin*

I really hope the hail doesn't hit so hard this year, but I've lived here long enough to know that there are no guarantees...

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida