Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
robin44444

Landscape rock can't be changed. How can I cope?

robin44444
11 years ago

Our yard has several evergreen and deciduous trees, plus many shrubs and perennials. They are all planted in landscape rock, which I intensely dislike because I feel it's so unwelcoming to look at and to walk on. It is, however, appropriate in our semi-arid area. We can't change the rock because some trees and plants are on berms which we couldn't get a lawnmower on if we planted grass. Mulch or bark is out of the question because this is a high-wind area. Can any of you give me ideas for softening the look of (or softening my feelings about) all this rock? We have it front, back, and sides. Thanks very much.

Comments (6)

• WxDano
    11 years ago

Creeping shrubs like juniper, 'Grow Low' sumac etc might be an option. Heat-tolerant perennials. Grasses. Expect to baby these plants until they establish, as the heat is much more intense 2" above the rock than most plants care for.

• mstywoods
    11 years ago

Maybe you could add a few other plants around on the berm to break up the look of all the rock and add some other color. Some sedums or other type of rock garden type of ground cover might be nice as well - but, of course, nothing that will be too invasive.

You could also add some larger stones, bird bath, garden statuary, solar up-lighting, etc. to add some decoration.

Marj

• robin44444
    Original Author
    11 years ago

WxDan and mstywoods, thank you so much. Actually a misty woods is the look we were hoping for after a trip to the midwest. But foxes dug up our irrigation lines over and over again and we had to cover it all with rock to keep the irrigation protected.

I like the "Grow Low" sumac, although I wasn't thinking of anything that would get two feet tall. In certain areas of the rock I think that would work. I also looked up sedums and junipers (Wiltoni), thanks to your suggestions, and think that might well be the answer also. There is some ground ivy growing nearby and I thought I might even import some of that, since it wouldn't cost anything, but it's pretty darn invasive. I like the look of it though. mstywoods, we have large boulders and a winding path (made of Breeze) going through the front yard, so that breaks it up a little, but still the impression is of rock, rock, rock! A dozen trees, a bird bath, and probably 50 plants in beds still don't do it for me. I'm going to talk to DH this morning about all of this. One problem I see is that I need a ground cover I can walk on or I won't be able to get to the perennials to prune, etc. We'll also have to add to the irrigation system.

• mrsgalihad
    11 years ago

You might look at creeping phlox and Snow in Summer (Cerastium tomentosum). I see both of those grown on rock mulch in my neighborhood. Maybe Basket of Gold Alyssum would work for you too. The phlox and alyssum bloom at roughly the same time in spring followed by the Cerastium.

• robin44444
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you so much, mrsgalihad. I love snow in summer. All of you have given me such good ideas. Maybe I can get this yard to a place where I love looking at it. Thanks again, everyone.

• mstywoods
    11 years ago

Post some pictures once your "done" (LOL - gardening is like a lot of things. Don't think anyone can ever say there a done!!).

Marj