Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laura_42

Storm Warning for N/W Colorado

laura_42
15 years ago

I just saw this on NOAA. Eeep! Should I cover up my budding aliums, or even take in my winter-sown milk jugs? It's like 77 degrees out at the moment. Gotta love our Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde spring weather...

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DENVER CO

401 PM MDT SUN MAR 22 2009

...WINTER STORM TAKING AIM ON NORTHERN AND WESTERN COLORADO...

.A WINTER STORM SYSTEM CURRENTLY OVER THE GREAT BASIN WILL MOVE

ACROSS COLORADO LATE TONIGHT AND MONDAY MORNING. AS A RESULT...

SNOW WILL DEVELOP IN THE MOUNTAINS LATER THIS EVENING AND THEN

ACROSS PORTIONS OF THE NORTHEAST PLAINS EARLY MONDAY MORNING. AT

THIS TIME...THE BULK OF THE ACCUMULATING SNOWFALL ON THE PLAINS IS

EXPECTED TO OCCUR ALONG AND NORTH OF A LINE FROM FORT COLLINS TO

WIGGINS AND LAST CHANCE. THE SNOW MAY BE HEAVY AT TIMES. IN

ADDITION...SURFACE LOW PRESSURE WILL QUICKLY DEEPEN OVER EXTREME

NORTHEAST COLORADO AND NEBRASKA...BRINGING STRONG NORTHWEST WINDS

ACROSS THE AREA AS WELL. BLIZZARD CONDITIONS WILL BE POSSIBLE IN

AREAS THAT RECEIVE JUST A COUPLE INCHES OF SNOWFALL. IN AREAS THAT

DONT RECEIVE SIGNIFICANT SNOWFALL...BLOWING DUST WILL REDUCE

VISIBILITIES.

PEOPLE PLANNING TRAVEL ACROSS NORTHEAST AND NORTH CENTRAL COLORADO

SHOULD BE PREPARED FOR HAZARDOUS DRIVING CONDITIONS FROM LATE

TONIGHT THROUGH MONDAY NIGHT. VISIBILITIES WILL BE REDUCED TO NEAR

ZERO AT TIMES DUE TO FALLING AND BLOWING SNOW. CHAIN LAWS WILL

LIKELY BE REQUIRED OVER THE HIGHER MOUNTAIN PASSES INCLUDING I-70

AND THE APPROACHES TO THE EISENHOWER TUNNEL AND VAIL PASS LATER

TONIGHT THROUGH MONDAY NIGHT.

Comments (7)

• sister_k
    15 years ago

I'm sure someone who knows more will chime in, I'm really new to gardening and WSing, but I'm pretty sure if it's going to freeze that any tender annual sprouts will need to come inside, or get covered with blankets, but any non-germinated containers can just stay outside (I think?) I am planning on bringing my sprouted containers inside and leaving the rest where they are. In the last cold snap, my night-scented stock and some lettuce had sprouted and most of those sprouts died in that cold. I have a bunch of bulbs that are up and in containers, so those will go in the garage and I'll cover the ones upstairs on the balcony. Good luck!

• highalttransplant
    15 years ago

Laura, are the containers already sprouted? If yes, what are they? If anything tender has sprouted, such as marigolds, cosmos, zinnias, basil, or tomatoes, provide frost protection, an old blanket or row cover, or move them to an UNHEATED garage. For jugs that haven't sprouted yet, just make sure they are secure. That is why I put my 2L bottles in crates, so the winds don't blow them around the yard. Never had a problem with the milk jugs though.

The wind is gusting to around 35 mph right now, and we are supposed to get rain changing over to snow tonight, though we aren't supposed to have much, if any, accumulation. All of my containers are staying right where they are, even though 42 out of 82 have already sprouted.

Bonnie

• highalttransplant
    15 years ago

Whoops, Sister K, we were posting at the same time. I'm surprised to hear that you lost lettuce sprouts. Mine sprouted a month ago, and we've had quite a few nights since then that were in the 20's, and they are all doing just fine. It's usually one of the first things to germinate each year, and I never give it any extra protection.

The good news is that the chances are not every seed has sprouted yet, so if you lose a couple in a cold spell, you may still see more germination in that container later on.

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    15 years ago

The cold air coming down from Canada will not be ultra-cold. Not this year. We should see maybe a week-ish of relatively cooler weather and two, maybe three noticeably cold nights, and not all in a row, but a killing deep freeze? Depends where you are and how you pushed it, but one night of well below freezing shouldn't be wrecking your plans.

The 'cold' will start this evening, but 'cold' is relative. I went out last evening and put the ornamental grass clippings over about 6-8 of the less tender plants and held it down with heavier branches from pruning.

That's all this old weatherman is doing SE of Denver. I expect that next week I'll be planting cool season seeds in the garden - I have a new variety of lettuce mix - Red Wings - in anticipation of their long playoff run and I'm ready to go. The wall-o-waters are coming out sometime in early April, when I find time in between traveling.

:o)

Dan

• david52 Zone 6
    15 years ago

We whiffed on the moisture here, but had a heckofa dust storm yesterday, everything is a lovely shade of tan.

It's supposed to be in the low 20's at night, all next week.

Dan, I grew that Red Wing mix a couple years ago - makes a beautiful salad.

• irisgirl
    15 years ago

Can't believe "they" are still saying snow is coming most every day later in the week; oh if it were only true! But the winds are gonna be fierce again, so batten down the hatches boys and girls. Tie down those WS milk jugs and bring yer small pets and children indoors to the warm! The sprouts will be happy in the garage. lol...

• laura_42
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for your thoughts, everyone!

Looks like we "missed the bullet" on that storm, as some would say.

Since none of my seeds have sprouted yet, I just made sure the jugs were secure and left them out. The wind was sooo horrible last night, I was sure they must've been blown all the way to Nebraska! However all were safe and accounted for when I looked out this morning. *whew!*