Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Eradicating Scrub Oak

Posted by maryhm z5b-Colorado (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 29, 08 at 18:40

I have a hillside that is just covered in scrub oak. That stuff is just a pest! It pops up everywhere. I want to remove it, or at least slow it down- any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Eradicating Scrub Oak

There are far, far, worse things that can happen on a hillside than a native plant like scrub oak.

Honestly, if you're on a place where you have a lot of it, you might look into how these bushes protect the next stage of reforestation, ie protecting the junipers / pine trees from elk and deer, and maybe help that process along with a prudent planting here and there.

Other than that, I would guess that cutting it down would just allow the introduction of all kinds of wind-blown seeds and weeds.

The acorns are edible.

o
RE: Eradicating Scrub Oak

Everyone has their own tastes, I know but I think it would be SO sad to get rid of such a beautiful shrub. If they're getting lanky and unattractive they may need a good, hard pruning to revitalize them to their glossy green potential. I put a link below to a page demonstrating how to prune scrub oak to reduce fire danger and maintain their value for wildlife. You will need to scroll down the page to get to the section specific to gambel (scrub) oak.

Here is a link that might be useful: scrub oak management

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here