Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jclepine

putrifaction becomes normal looking flower bed in late winter

jclepine
14 years ago

Bleh! The yuckiness that was revealed when the snow melted back from the flower beds was too much to bear.

I went out there today and chopped off old, musty, rotting foliage and inflorescence stalks and threw it into a big pile.

Man, a few minutes hard work really pays off. What looked like zombies this morning now looks like something that will green out soon. Yay!

Of course, I have no idea how much more snow we're gonna get and the rest of the yard is still a couple feet under, but so what?!

I'll prepare the second flower bed in the same way in a little bit.

Man, feels great to get my gardening bug going again! Why, just breathing in the dusty dirt from the old foliage was exhilarating!

Unfortunately, there is going to be lots of dog poop to deal with when the rest of the snow melts...sigh.

Jennifer

Comments (7)

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    14 years ago

I was expecting pictures--hopefully without smellavision--when I saw the title of your post! Where's the pics, girl? Glad to hear you're at least verging on having things starting to grow again.

Good luck with the poop!
    Skybird

• jclepine
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ya know, I should have taken pics because it was so hideous and then, oddly enough, there was stuff already growing under all that muck! I'll take some later today because it really still looks pretty mucky...

Thanks! I'll need lots of luck!

J.

• jclepine
    Original Author
    14 years ago

okay, I have no idea how to shrink these photos so...sorry for the gigantic pictures!

The first pic is of the end result, unfortunately covered with fresh gropple.

The second pic is of the aftermath when I go out in a huff, rip stuff from the ground and then throw it around the yard. I tend to come in with dirt all over me and, with a big grin, exclaim that I'll do something with the mess "later".

The last pic is of Pablo Honey romping around in the snow. I think this was our second to last snowfall and he wasn't very happy about it. But, as it is with everyone, he really had to "go".

I'm not done with this bed yet as I can't decide if I want to pick out the slimy leaves or if I want to remove all the old stuff, including the old mulch. Eh, knowing me, I'll probably just put some compost on top and cover it with new mulch. Lazy bones!

J.

• digit
    14 years ago

Hi, J!

() (remove parenthesis before submitting)

Pablo Bunny
    height="400" width="600"

Pablo Bunny
    height="200" width="300"

Pablo Bunny
    height="20" width="30"

& Steve's digits

• jclepine
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Awesome, Steve!! Thank you for this. For once I'll actually save this info so I can use it again...for the sanity of all who get stuck waiting while my photos load.

:) J

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    14 years ago

Awww! Poor little Pablo Bunny is disappearing!

Is that a real bunny dog, Digit?

But, Jennifer, it's so easy with Picasa! You just pick the size you want and copy the link!

Your real little Pablo Dog looks more like he's disappearing in the snow than romping in it! I've had a couple little dogs who would ocassionally get into snow so deep their feet wouldn't touch the "bottom," and they wind up mostly spinning their wheels! Funny to watch! Don't know what the dogs thought about it, but they usually seemed to be having fun! And they both had long hair, so then they'd come in with a tummy full of snowballs!

That's looks like it must have been a cold job when you did it---even if it was one of the really nice days we had. I bet you got into some really icy stuff underneath the "stuff" on top!

If your slimy leave are matted down on top of good plants, you really should clean them off. If they're just around the plants, it's probably ok to just leave them if you decide to. I was out cleaning all the cold, wet, nasty cottonwood leaves off of my escape-proof garden yesterday. They had been out there all winter, getting more and more matted down--like nothing but cottonwood leaves can do--and the sweet violets were starting to, and trying to, grow up thru them. Now that the mess is cleaned up, the soil will be warming up more and they'll be getting some light, so in a week or so it should be looking pretty good.

Glad to see you've got some pretty green things out there, Jennifer.

Skybird

• jclepine
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, Skybird! I had to chuckle when I read about the little dogs spinning their wheels! Someone I worked with told me about their three boston terriers who, at first sight of deep snow, would run into it, sink down and start burrowing through it, coming up for air here and there. Man, such a funny image.

Pablo would never, ever venture too deep; he was traveling along his normal path to his potty area but I wasn't paying attention and the snow came down so fast that I didn't have a chance to shovel it for him. He couldn't wait.

I may end up cleaning that bed out. The other bed doesn't have anything covered since it is mostly roses and mulch. I know the irises won't have any trouble but there are lots of things still pretty small in there.

Cottonwood leaves!! That is the stuff that drives me crazy. We have lots of aspens and they get everywhere. Leaves, giant catkins, endless fluff floating around and landing on/in everything. I especially enjoy picking "cotton" off of delicate lettuce or roses. Alas, I do love the sound of the leaves in the wind and the privacy they provide. And, honestly, I like watching the fluff float around--just wish it wouldn't land in my yard.

Yep, I'll probably clean it up.

Hmm, now I'll have to go read your post again 'cause I'm not sure if you said Picasa or Photobucket.

:)