Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
silverfox0308

Western Slope Newbie here...

silverfox0308
14 years ago

Hi all. I am so excited to have found this place. Hubby and I moved to the Grand Junction area 1 1/2 years ago. We did a lot of planting last summer and now have the joys of changing what didn't work/survive/whatever. I have lots of questions but will try to not overwhelm everyone.

First up, is there a place here to go to get ideas on landscape design? I have pictures of our yard now and last summer in bloom. I am not looking for a professional type deal, just people familiar with the area/plants to give me ideas because, quite frankly, I'm stuck. My plant light bulb is very dim right now. I need inspiration! Thanks!

Comments (3)

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    14 years ago

Hi Fox,

Welcome to RMG! When you have time, go to the WhoÂs Here in 2010 thread and tell us a little more about yourself and/or gardening. WeÂre nosy around here, lol! (And itÂs fun to read what everybody else says!)

For your landscaping questions, post some pictures for us and tell us specifically what youÂre looking for: perennials, trees, bushes, colors, heights, etc. ThereÂs bound to be somebody around here with recommendations for whatever youÂre looking for. CanÂt guarantee you wonÂt just wind up confused about what to do since youÂll get different recommendations from different people, but youÂll definitely get some ideas! We all deal with similar growing conditions, so at least the advice you get here on RMG will make more sense than getting advice from somebody in Illinois, or SoCal, or Texas! Bring it on! ThatÂs why weÂre all here! (Start a separate thread so we can find it based on the title.)

Glad you found us,
    Skybird

P.S. WhatÂs your altitude out there?

• silverfox0308
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Skybird. We're in Fruita which is about 4500 feet. Not that high certainly but more than a lot of other places! I will have to figure out how to upload pics and do that. Hubby is outside at the moment tilling his garden. I want to get to work next weekend (when my MIL is here and can watch my kiddos, they're 1 and 3) on transplanting what needs moved.

• digit
    14 years ago

SilverFox, I'm too far from you to provide local information. But, just to get things started and, maybe, scare up a few ideas . . .

Over the years, I keep seeing this outfit suggested for gardeners in this part of the world - High Country Gardens. I've got 'em linked below. Click on "Pre-Planned Gardens" and the 3 sub-categories below that.

High Country used to send me catalogs but I come from a family that seemed to think, "if you plant enuf horseradish, you don't need to worry about not having, at least, something green in the yard!"

Yeah. I've got a picture of me on the wall. I could have been about 9 and I'm on my way out to the barn for milking chores. I'm standing right beside a hollyhock that's as tall as I am - right in the middle of our backyard. I mean, where lawn grass might have grown - in the middle. Wonder how it dodged the mower? No. Getting into our rose garden was a once or twice a year adventure. We nearly needed to use machetes to break a path.

I wish DW would go for these combo's in High Country. I try for things like this but nearly always go awry. DW goes for the eclectic approach - the more colors and shapes, the better. That works fairly well, interestingly enuf.

Best of Luck!

digitSteve

Here is a link that might be useful: High Country Gardens.