Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anemone coronaria - de Caen

Posted by skybird z5, Denver, CO (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 25, 09 at 19:24

Hi all,

Well I wound up in the Jumping Plant department at the food store today, and since the plants (roots/bulbs) were only $2.99 a box, I let them jump!

Ive never grown anemones before, but at 15 for $2.99, I decided to give it a try. And the picture on the box is sure pretty! ;-) The problem is, I dont know ANYTHING at all about them! So I came home and started to research online! Absolutely NO help! Im finding unbelievable contradictions! Im gonna plant them anyway, of course, but Im wondering if anybody else around here has ever grown them, and what your experiences were.

Online Im finding places that say theyre hardy from z5 to z8, and places that say theyre only hardy in z8 and z9! Hows that for decisive information! Im also finding places that say they need to be in full sunand places that say they need to be in full shade! Alright!!! Ill plant them in ????? Since the other "bulb type" anemones Im familiar with need shade, Im inclined to go with shade! Wherever I plant them, I think Ill probably put them in mostly compost to ensure a good, rich, and well-drained soil. I found a couple places online that say to soak them for a while before planting, and I found one place that said they wouldnt come up for TWO YEARS! Dont believe that one at all! The box they come in, of course, has no useful information whatsoever! Well! It DOES say to water them after I plant them!!! :-)

Soany experience around here?

Skybird

P.S. A Blue Angel Hosta jumped into my cart too! Now doesnt Blue Angel just sound like the cutest LITTLE Hosta you ever heard of? The box, needless to say, has NO info about the height! Got home and looked it upand its HUGE, with leaves 18" long by 12" wide!" Well, thatll fill up my whole backyard nicely! Decided Im gonna plant is at the top (far end) of my escape proof garden where itll make a nice backdrop for the sweet violets, lily-of-the-valley, and sweet woodruff. (Got a box with 5 more lily-of-the-valley pips toosince the couple I brought over here from the last house just havent spread that much yet in their wonderful clay home!)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anemone coronaria - de Caen

They are one of my favorites, Skybird! They are so pretty. They look gorgeous paired with Black Eyed Susan (common Rudbeckia Hirta), both have the same bloom time.
But... they are not perennial for me in any of my beds. I've never soaked them but I do know that moldy bulbs never amount to much. They will come up and bloom this year if you plant them in May. Mine have been happy in partial shade.
For frame of reference, I believe your yard is 10-14 days ahead of mine in bloom time so you must be a bit warmer. When you post photos I get excited because I know the same plants will be blooming in my yard soon. I'm at about 5800 elevation up on a ridge in Douglas County and I always have more snow than the Park Meadows area even though I'm only 1.5 miles away. If the hardiness is z5-z8 maybe you can mulch and they will survive. I have used two inches of leaf mulch and it wasnt enough in my microclimate but Im hoping it will be enough for you. Either way, they are gorgeous and carefree enough that I buy them every year.
I hope that helps!

o
RE: Anemone coronaria - de Caen

Thank you, thank you for the great information, Azura. That really helps! When I decided to get them I was kind of assuming they wouldnt be hardy, so I was surprised when I found online that some people consider them z5. Ill be surprised if they do come back, but maybe Ill throw a few extra inches of bark mulch on top of them next fall and see what happens. Everything I read said theyre great cutflowers, and I keep thinking, oh, how nice, Ill cut some and bring them insidebut I know when they bloom Im gonna want to leave them out making the yard pretty! I always wanted a cutting gardenbut its not gonna happen with this little lot!

Im not sure yet where Im gonna plant them. When I can get out into the backyard againwithout wadingIll have to go out there and contemplate for a while! Thats the design method of my garden! Ohmmmmmm!

Thats interesting about my stuff being a little bit earlier than yoursand about your altitude. I wouldnt have even known this, but on one of the weather reports today I noticed they had the altitude of Thornton at just over 8400'. So you really are a little bit higher than me. I guess I already knew that Thornton was higher than Denver, because from "up here" we look "down" onto downtown Denver, but I never really thought about it before. If youre 400' higher than me, that very likely does explain the difference in bloom times.

Thanks again for the great help,
Skybird

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here