Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Accidental harvest

Posted by highalttransplant z 5 Western CO (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 9, 12 at 19:25

Okay, so I didn't harvest all of my carrots in time last fall, and the ground was already frozen when I tried to get the last Juane de Doubs out of the ground. So I finally get outside today, for the first time to look around and check things out. The fall planted garlic is already starting to sprout. As I was giving it a drink, I saw a little bit of green, started digging around and look what I found!!!

Photobucket

There were a couple of ginormous mutant carrots, probably close to 5" across.

Photobucket

There were also a couple of normal sized carrots, and a few babies.

Photobucket

I threw out the mutants, and the fat, woody ones, but I may see if some of the smaller ones are actually edible. What's amazing to me, is that usually whatever gets missed in the fall is rotten, or has worm holes of some sort. Maybe it's because this winter was so mild and dry on this side of the state, that they are still viable.

Bonnie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Accidental harvest

Very nice, Bonnie! Isn't it fun to get a surprise like that! Unless that variety gets woody, I think you may find they're sweeter and better after being out in the cold--like parsnips--than they would have been if you had dug them in fall.

You reminded me that I need to get the rest of my carrots, beets, and parsnips dug up SOON! With the warm temps we're gonna have around here for the next week, they're gonna start growing and not be good anymore if I don't do it now!

Skybird

o

I used to leave my carrots in the ground till around now. But the last few years they have been located where I needed to work the ground in the fall so haven't over wintered any. I've found them to be as good if not better in the later winter. Jay

o

I bet those big ones would be pretty good roasted in butter.

/I missed lunch.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here