Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lilacs_of_may

Michelle Obama is planting a Victory Garden!

lilacs_of_may
15 years ago

I saw this on the news this evening. It may be a first for the White House. Michelle Obama is planting a vegetable garden. Some of the produce is going to food banks, and some of it is going into the White House kitchen.

The news also had a segment about Irish Eyes. From 30,000 pounds of seed potatoes, to meet demand they're now up to 160,000 pounds of seed potatoes. (Which reminds me, I have to get some.)

We are part of a major trend. Next thing you know, Angelina Jolie will be photographed planting onion sets. ;-)

Gosh, I've never been trendy before.

Comments (10)

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    15 years ago

Careful: the organic forum thinks this is a conspiracy to distract away from Monsanto sponsoring HR 875...

Nonetheless, this was the main discussion this morning over breakfast. Good news.

Dan

• eatsivy
    15 years ago

We were stoked to hear this news too!

• billie_ladybug
    15 years ago

The only thing it tells me is that they are worried about their approvial rating and trying to find inventive ways to help it.

As far as gardens, gardeners, and the White House, anyone ever hear of Thomas Jefferson?

Billie

• lilacs_of_may
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Huh???

I really don't know where some of you people are getting this stuff. And I'm American. Yes, of course, I know who Thomas Jefferson is. We study American history in school. What would make you think that I didn't?

I was just pleased that gardening had made it to the highest level in the land. Amid all the bad news, I was happy to see something positive on the network news for a change. I've never seen anything underhanded or sneaky about planting vegetables. It surprises me that it's seen as a bad thing.

I thought it was a neat thing to hear about, but now I'm really sorry that I started this thread. It never occurred to me that it would make people angry.

15 years ago

I thought it was a neat thing to hear about, but now I'm really sorry that I started this thread. It never occurred to me that it would make people angry.

Feh.

Whenever BHO comes on the teevee, the MIL walks out of the room. There are some people who just can't let it go and will find any excuse. Don't worry about it. The good news also is that the statement by Michelle also was explicit about diet and nutrition and obesity, which is what more people need to hear.

Dan

• organicallygrown
    15 years ago

Lilacs, I was thrilled to see this too! I wish EVERYONE would take a page out of her book and plant SOMETHING, anything. A tomato in a pot on a balcony. A small kitchen garden. We, as Americans, have got to take back responsibility for our health and quit feeding the Agro-Industrial machine (sorry, can't think of the real term for the beasts) which is so horribly undermining our health with their overly processed foods.

'The Omnivore's Delimma' should be required reading for anyone interested in learning where their food comes from.

And, Lilacs, ignore the naysayers. Obama will never be able to do anything right in their eyes. But, most of the country support him and what he is trying to do.

And, this response is not intended to start a political discussion here on the President. It was meant to keep Lilacs from feeling like she was getting jumped on.

Peace?

• jnfr
    15 years ago

This made me really happy too! Everything that brings gardening, and especially veggie gardening, to people's attention is good, in my opinion.

15 years ago

IMHO my plan is to semiretire in 10-ish years and have a consultancy teaching people how to garden in their subdivision plot. Why? Peak Oil will be past and people will be looking for ways to save money and have something to do - a hobby that doesn't require driving from their single-use McSuburb area to a different area that has amenities and things to do.

So, Victory Gardens in the White House grounds - and tying them to good nutrition and childhood obesity - is the best outcome that can happen. And the Better Half is going to ensure that everybody will participate - what better role model than that?!?

Dan

• jclepine
    15 years ago

I read that Michelle was the first First to plant a veggie garden at the WH since Eleanor Roosevelt.

I'm ecstatic!

We went to a symposium Wed and Thurs about bringing "environmentally sustainable, socially responsible and spiritually fulfilling" action to the forefront of our lives, individually and globally.

At one point, we were supposed to imagine with eyes closed what we see for the future.

I gotta say, I imagined a whole dang lot! Some of that was a veggie garden in almost every home with people feeding others and sharing with others.

I know our new persons in office are politicians, but I have absolute faith that we are going to progress in a positive way.

I'm excited and happy to know that she is setting such a simple and grand example of what we can each do.

Victory to all!

Victory to life, love and peace!

J.

• foxes_garden
    15 years ago

I read recently that the occupants of the White House actually pay for any family (non-state) meals cooked by the kitchen staff. And since they have really good chefs in the kitchen staff, this winds up being a bit of a shock to the budget for each new first family.

Maybe that gave her the idea to start growing veggies... I'm happy to see it in any case!