Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
skybirdforever

Spring Swap - 2011

Hi all,

It's that time! Here's the Spring Swap 2011 thread where all the information about the swap will be posted! I'm going to start with the basic information that's the same for all of the swaps so it can be easily found by anyone with questions, and then post information specific to this swap, like deciding the date, below that!

~~~~~ THE BASIC SWAP FAQ'S! ~~~~~

WHAT TO BRING!

Anything that has anything to do with gardening is welcome at the swap!

Plants, of course, are our primary "commodity," but people also sometimes bring fresh produce, like cut herbs, rhubarb, or other fresh spring veggies to include in the trading. The Spring Swap plants are usually mostly starts and seedlings of annual bedding plants and veggies, with some perennial divisions and seedlings. (The Fall Swap is usually mostly perennial divisions!)

In addition to plants, we also welcome seeds, pots, books/magazines, tools, rocks, garden art.......... Anything garden related that you don't want or need anymore! The non-plant items are not officially "traded!" There will be a place to put these things and they will be available for anyone who sees them on a first come, first served basis! A few years ago someone had some concrete "tree ring" blocks to give away, and they were spoken for and picked up even before the swap. If you have something heavy or large and bulky that you'd like to go to a new and appreciative home, I recommend posting it here and possibly someone who would like to have it could pick it up before the swap so you wouldn't need to bring it all the way to the swap!

WHAT HAPPENS AT THE SWAP!

The Arriving Part!

When you arrive, there will be a table with a sign in sheet and name badges. Everybody needs to sign in and make a name badge for themselves and any significant others or guests.

The Eating Part!

We start out with the pot luck! Your dish can be absolutely anything! Hot dishes, cold dishes, appetizers/finger foods, salads, sweets--anything you think others would enjoy! Homemade dishes, if you have time, are always good and very much appreciated! The oven and microwave will be available if someone needs to reheat something! Please plan to bring a serving spoon if it will be needed for your dish, and also please make some provision for it to be covered--a lid if it's that type of dish, or plastic wrap, or whatever. And a request I've made at the last couple swaps that has worked out pretty well! I love sweets, so I definitely don't want to put too much of a damper on the dessert type things, but at a couple of the early swaps we seemed to wind up with mostly sweets, so if you're trying to decide between that or something else, lean toward the something else!

The Demonstration Part!

After we eat we'll have the demonstration on basic propagation, and I'm planning to include some info about different store bought potting soils and a few other things. If anyone has some basic issue they'd like discussed or answered, please PM me or post it here, and if it's something I can help with I'll add it to my list.

The Swapping Part!

During the arriving/eating/demonstration parts you will have had time to check out the plants people have brought, and now it's time for the swapping! First we make sure anybody who has plants earmarked for others, gets or has already gotten them to the right people. Then we draw numbers for the first TWO rounds of picking what we want. With number in hand, we go around and have everyone briefly describe what they brought so people know for sure what's there and so everyone can decide what they want the most! Then we go around twice in "number order" and each person picks the one thing they want the most in each round. This gives everyone a pretty good chance of getting the two things they really want! After the two "civilized" rounds of picking we open it up to a free-for-all! Everyone just goes around and grabs whatever they want of what's left! (Bring your Body Armor!)

About the Earmarking!

On the day of the swap we don't allow any "early picking," meaning, while you can look and touch all you want, nobody can take any of the plants till we start our first two rounds of picking! BUT we do allow earmarking of plants BEFORE the swap when people post what they plan to bring. I'll get the "What are you bringing? - What do you want?" thread started in the next week or so. Save specific information about what you plan to bring for that thread please, to try to keep this thread a little bit shorter since this thread will get so long all by itself that it will be hard to use by the time of the swap! I'll post a link to the What do you Want thread when I start it!

OUR PRIMARY SWAP RULE!

And then there's that one Swap Law that everybody needs to know about! Nobody needs to have any plants to be welcome at the swap! If you're new to gardening and don't have anything yet, if you just moved to a new house and don't have anything to give away yet, or if you just don't have anything for any reason at all, that's ok! There are always way, way plenty of plants to go around, and we get together as much to swap gardening talk and friendship as to swap plants--so come regardless of how much you do or don't have to bring! (And, yes, you do get to pick plants in the swap part even if you weren't able to bring any!)

HERE'S SOME BASIC INFORMATION ABOUT THE PLANTS YOU BRING!

PLANT THEM -- Whether it's divisions or seedlings or whole plants you'll be bringing, please try to get them into their pots AT LEAST a couple weeks before the swap so they have time to "settle in" and start to root out some. If plants are dug up and put into pots, and then taken back out of the pots to be planted in the ground just a couple days later, it's "double trauma" for them! Also, most plants don't do at all well in pots in "garden soil," so if at all possible, use some sort of a store bought potting mix. It doesn't need to be expensive! (But Hyponex brand would probably be worse than garden soil, so if that's the option, stick with the garden soil!)

LABEL THEM -- Please be sure the plants you bring are labeled one way or another! Here are some of the ways people have labeled their plants in the past: a regular plant tag in the pot -- plastic beverage cups cut up into narrow strips -- popsicle sticks -- old blinds cut up into label size strips -- staple or tape a piece of paper with the name onto the pot -- write the name of the plant on the pot with a marker or crayon -- make up adhesive labels with the plant name and basic information and stick them on the pots. I make up little strips of paper on the computer with the name and other info and include one with each plant. Be creative, but find some way to label them! Anything to ensure the person getting the plant will know what they have when they get home. When we're at the swap, we all think we'll be able to remember the things we're getting to take home, and then we wind up grabbing all kinds of things in the free-for-all, and........... Oops! What is this!

WATER THEM -- Please plan to thoroughly water the plants you're bringing the DAY BEFORE the swap so they'll have time to drain well enough to be easy to transport, yet be wet enough to not be wilting at the swap or while people are taking them home!

TAKE THEM HOME! -- It's a really good idea to bring a box/tray or two to carry your booty back home in! If the plants you're bringing are in something, don't let anybody else snag it, and you can use that to refill with the new goodies! We do ask that you please don't use someone else's boxes or trays without asking first if it's ok!

MARK YOUR EARMARKED PLANTS -- If you're earmarking something for someone who's requested it, please be sure to clearly mark on the pot somehow who it's for. I use small "pots" (styrofoam cups!) for my plants, and I've found it works well to write the screen name of the person on a paper bag and put the plants in the bag. If there's more than one bag for someone I just write "1 of 2" on it to be sure nothing gets missed! It makes it easy for everyone to find the ones that are for them, and it's easier to carry the bags than to carry a bunch of separate pots. Small boxes work well too! There will be an area away from the general swap plants to put things that are earmarked for specific people.

COMMUNICATION ABOUT THE SWAP!

ALL swap information is posted here on the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum! The ONLY email that will be sent directly to the people that are planning to attend the swap, will be one with the address and directions, approximately a week before the swap.

That's all of the general information! Now here's the stuff that's specific to this swap! First, for those that haven't been following the over\-winter swap thread, the swap is going to be at my house this year, in Thornton, near 120th Avenue and Colorado Blvd. It's easy access from I25 \-\- just a couple miles east on 120th. As I said above, the address and directions to my house will be emailed to everyone who signs up for the swap about a week before whatever date we decide upon for the swap. I WILL NEED to have your email address in order to send you that email, so if you "sign up" below to attend the swap, please PM your address to me through GardenWeb (go to "my page" and click on "send me an email"), or, if you still have my email address from a past swap, email me directly. Please don't wait till the last minute! We need to start with picking a date! I've been keeping track of the dates that people have said they couldn't come from the over\-winter thread. If possible I am trying to pick a date that will work for the people that are coming from far away! I figure that since it's much easier for those in the Metro Denver area to come to "the next" swap if they can't make it this time, we should give a little more "weight" to the Long Distance Sprinters! Three people have said they couldn't come on one or both days on the weekend of May 14/15. That seems like enough to me to rule out that weekend right off the bat! And one of those people is Bonnie who drives all the way in from Silt on the Western Slope! If anybody doesn't know where that is, it's west of Glenwood Springs, most of the way to Grand Junction! Next is Saturday the 21st. BillieLadybug, who drives up from about 60 miles east of Colorado Springs, and who hasn't been able to come to a swap for a couple years because of school, can't come that day. Billie brings the home grown deviled eggs, and the (pardon my French) BS! I'm partial to both of those things, so, taking into consideration the distance again, I going to rule out that date! Ok! Now a couple people have said that they prefer Saturday over Sunday, and I've just eliminated two of the four Saturdays in May! It doesn't make any difference at all to me which day it is! \[Just so everybody knows, there is a slight chance I would need to go (I'd be driving) to Chicago for a Workers' Comp hearing sometime in May! All I can do about that is to wait to hear from my attorney! I won't know if or when it's gonna happen until I hear from her, and I have no idea when that might be! I'm just keeping all my fingers and toes crossed really hard that it doesn't wind up interfering with our plans!\] TreeBarb has a graduation on Saturday the 28th, so it would be nice if we could work around that date, but that only leaves one Saturday, the 7th! If we eliminate the days people have already said they couldn't come, that leaves these possibilities! Saturday, 05.07.11 Sunday, 05.08.11 (this is Mother's Day if that matters to the folks who hope to come!) Sunday, 05.22.11 Sunday, 05.29.11 So at this point I'D LIKE SOME FEEDBACK as to which of those days would be best for the people that are planning/hoping to come! That's the most important thing for now, but, beyond that, here are a couple other things! After we decide on a date, I'll be posting a list of things we'll need, and people can post what they can bring to help. There's plenty of time for that yet! Spouses, significant others, friends, neighbors, and friendly guests of any ilk are always welcome, and I don't have any problem with people bringing kids, but just so everybody knows what to expect, I have a very small yard with nowhere to run, and no kid\-type things. There is a park 1 1/2 blocks east of me, down a very quiet street, where there would be lots of running room, but no playground equipment as far as I know. Just thought I should mention it since Charlene has the trampoline and lots of kid room when we have the swap there! Thats all I can think of for now! I'm not sure how readable this is going to be since GW "messes with" things that are copied from Word! I'm going to copy it and then go thru and "replace" all the apostrophes, quotes, and other things that might turn into gobbledygook, but the only way to know for sure what's gonna happen is to post it\-\-\-and then it's too late to try to fix it! Because of the copy/paste problem, I do not intend to keep repeating all the Basic Information, which is why I put it right up on top, so if you're looking for general swap answers, reread the FAQS above! Who's coming this time, and give me some opinions on the date, Skybird

Comments (44)

• dsieber
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Skybird a very complete set of instructions. I am sure the anals appeciate (like me) but I am sure you have a moderate to low tolerance for deviations.

• b2alicia
    13 years ago

YAY! I can't wait!

I also like the idea of showing yard stuff, to see if anyone wants it.

I found these two things sorta buried in the back yard perennial bed. It looks like they were purposefully made this way, and I would happily give them away if anyone wants them.

They are really not to my taste, and to me they look like they're BEGGING for a tetanus shot, but , you know, trash and treasures....

Also, if anyone has an old back yard swing, or glider , that they're not using, I'd love to see it.

Yippee!

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    Original Author
    13 years ago

LOL, Dsieber! What I have a VERY low tolerance for it the inability to copy/paste stuff onto GW anymore! I call my "zone" up above "artistic," but when that happens to the things I try to post, I don't think it's artistic at all! After I got all that put together yesterday from past swap threads, it took me most of an hour to go thru it after pasting it into the GW "box" to delete and replace all the things that would have made it unreadable otherwise! At least it worked--for now at least! In the past I've copied the basic info over and over down the swap thread since there were always people who couldn't seem to find the answers. This year I'm just gonna say to check out such-and-such a section in the original post! And in the past there were always things that got left out at the beginning of the thread, and I decided I'd take the time to get it all in the same place this time! Makes life easier--now that it's done!

But I realized that I DID leave out one thing! I didn't mention that HOUSE PLANTS are always welcome for trading too! One year somebody brought a staghorn fern that was really cool! If they root well enough by then, I'll have a few small jade starts this time! (Wait for the "What are you bringing" thread to ask for them! I don't have any way to keep track of that yet!) So if anybody is wondering about rooting some of their HOUSE PLANTS to give away, somebody's gonna be very happy to have them!

If you're planning to come, EVERYBODY, remember to SEND ME your EMAIL ADDRESS!

Skybird

P. S. I don't have anywhere to put it, B2, but I think your Garden Art is kind of interesting! The one on top looks like you could mount it on a fence post and hang a planter or bird feeder from it!

• gjmancini
    13 years ago

Any of those dates work for me. Heres my email addy.
    gjmancini@msn.com

• provogirl
    13 years ago

Any of these dates work for me!!!

• b2alicia
    13 years ago

Any date is fine with me!

Betty

• polygonum_tinctorium
    13 years ago

At the moment, all of those are open dates for me, too. But it might not last, unfortunately.

I'll be there if at all possible!

• jclepine
    13 years ago

Any date works for me as long as Fridays don't get worked into the mix. I'd prefer later in May since it gives me more of a chance to get things going up here seeing as how I get such a later start than a lot of you.

And, although I'm supposed to wait for the "what do you want" thread, oh, I'd love one of those rusty things unless they are spoken for, Betty. They look garden-y!

Jennifer

• pumpkin2010
    13 years ago

I'm hoping to come this year, and I vote for late May rather than Mother's Day weekend. I'm also inviting my mom and MIL.

• autodidact
    13 years ago

skybird:
    Thank you. I would like to come and prefer not mother's day weekend. Can't wait to see your garden!
    alicia: May I have the weird rusty things? I'm always interested in unique funky stuff to decorate my garden.

• tobaira
    13 years ago

I'm planning on coming this year would prefer later in May but right now I can make any of those dates. Don't forget the 29th is memorial day weekend in case that affects anyones availability. For me it just makes it an even better day since I won't have to work the next day!

• kareng_grow
    13 years ago

Hello Skybird!
    Am really hoping to come...Had a great time last year though I had to leave early. Will try to stay for the whole event this time :) The first Saturday works for me and the last two Sundays also work well. My email address is karen@gag.com

• singcharlene
    13 years ago

I want to come! :)

If you're taking a poll on the best days for everyone....The only days I can't do in May:

May 8th which is Mother's Day on Sunday (but that Saturday is fine-my mom will be here and she'd probably love it!) and

May 14th (it's a Saturday) we can't do because we have a house concert that afternoon.

Thanks, Skybird!

Charlene

Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi all,

The general consensus from the people I've heard from is that later in the month is better than earlier--and I agree with that for a couple different reasons! So, eliminating the 7th and 8th, and eliminating the 29th because it's Memorial Day (thanks for mentioning that, Tobaira! I hadn't thought of it!), that means........

THE SPRING SWAP WILL BE ON:

Sunday, May 22nd, starting at 11:00 a.m.

I think you've said that's late enough for you to get here, Bonnie, right? If it works for you, it should be ok for the folks coming from hither and yon down south too! Sorry to those that preferred a Saturday, but there just weren't any left later in the month! Hope this date will still work for you!

With two months to go, it looks like we're off to a good start! Here are the people I have down as planning/hoping to come so far. The ones with an asterisk are people I got off of the Over Winter thread that haven't shown up on this thread yet! If I've missed anybody, please let me know!

*amester
    autodidact
    b2alicia
    *billieladybug
    *conace
    dsieber
    gjmancini
    *highalt
    jclepine
    karengrow
    *kvenkat
    polygonum et al
    provogirl
    pumpkin2010
    singcharlene
    *sugaralice
    tobaira
    *treebarb

I NEED EMAIL ADDRESSES FROM THESE PEOPLE: (Go to my bio page--where my "bio" has disappeared!--and click on "send me an email!")

dsieber
    kvenkat
    pumpkin2010
    sugaralice

AUTODIDACT and CONACE55, I have your addresses from a past swap, but I don't know if they're current! If you've changed your email address in the last couple years, please send me the correct one!

TOBAIRA, I found your address posted publicly on your PM page! Let me know for sure if that's current.

If I didn't list your name above, I believe I have your current email address! I haven't had time to personally respond to any of you (and probably won't), but thank you to all of you that have already emailed your address to me!

That's all for now! I've been potting up things for the swap all day (just passed 200!), and I'm gonna try to get the What Are You Bringing thread started yet tonite! Just noticed it's past 9:00 and I need to find something to eat yet, so maybe tomorrow!

Two months and counting,
    Skybird

• kvenkat
    13 years ago

Skybird,
    I'll send you my email address....
    Thanks!

• mayberrygardener
    13 years ago

Wow, this is the first time I've logged in since last spring, I think! I'm looking forward to this year's swap! I'm game for the 22nd! I spent 3 1/2 hours in the garden today tilling soil and swapping around in the many containers that I keep... My body is going to tell me tomorrow how silly of a move THAT was!
    BTW, the first of those "two rusty things" looks like a pair of bird legs off of a larger "sculpture," and the second piece (don't know the scale?) may have been the body and hooked-beak head? Dunno, that's just what I saw.
    Can't wait to see everyone again!

• autodidact
    13 years ago

Hi. My email is ttosbtrr AT hotmail.com.

• redley_gardener
    13 years ago

First day for logon to this site, been so busy!!!

May 22 at 1100 works for me.
    I'm starting some winter sowing (I know, super late), we'll see what pops up that I can bring to share. I've just moved, so I have nothing but pine trees and dirt on an acre of land.
    So much possibilities!!!

I'm at dernybor@gmail.com (it's robynred backwards :)

Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for sending your address, Kat. I thought I had yours somewhere, but couldn't find it! Now it's officially in my RMG list!

Mayberry, I never would have thought about it, but I concur with what you see in the "rusty things!"

Thanks for verifying your address, AD. That IS the one I had!

I wondered if you were still around, Redley! I have you on the list, and thanks for the address. Are you still in Golden?

AS OF NOW I NEED EMAIL ADDRESSES FROM THESE PEOPLE:

dsieber
    pumpkin2010
    sugaralice

And, CONACE55, if your email address has changed in the last couple years, send me the current one.

So far I have 23 people on the list, plus a couple guests!

Skybird

• nunchucks
    13 years ago

Oh crikey! I've been summoned! not once but twice. Guess I better show up. I'll ink it into my calendar and really really hope (want)to show up since it's close to a big event and I may be panicking and buried with prep work. I'll try to figure out how to pm you my email Skybird. Not sure if I can bring anything for swapping unless some seeds sprout but I can definitely bring some good eats! maybe something cobbled from my prep work. Can't wait to see your garden Skybird.

• lealeigh
    13 years ago

Im new and don't have any plants to bring, but I would like to go...

• billie_ladybug
    13 years ago

Okay, May 22, 2011 at 11:00 works just fine for me as long as there are no more disasters at my house (well pump went out last week, at least its not boring)

We'll have to see what the cats don't eat between now and then. (kids keep leaving the door open)

Look forward to seeing you all then. I do need an address. I will relook later, I might have missed it.

B

Original Author
    13 years ago

Welcome, Lealeigh! You don't need to have any plants to bring! Check out the "Our Primary Swap Rule" section in the original post above for the details. But I do need to have your email address so I can send you my address and the directions to my house about a week before the swap, so go to "My Page," click on "send me an email," and send me your address. (Put Swap or RMG in the subject so I know what it's about, and include your screen name in the email so I know for sure who you are.) I'll put it on my swap email list so you'll get the blanket email when the time comes.

Billie, my address and directions won't be sent till just before the swap so I only have to (hopefully!) send it one time to get everybody! Hang in there girl! You haven't missed anything! Glad I don't need to worry about a pump going out anymore since I'm on city water now, but my garage door picker upper went on strike last week! I fixed the problem! The car is parked in the driveway!!! ;-)

I have 24 people on the list now!

As of right now I NEED EMAIL ADDRESSES FOR:

Dsieber
    Lealeigh
    Pumpkin2010

Thank you to everyone who has sent me their address or verified the one I have.

Skybird

• pumpkin2010
    13 years ago

Skybird -

I sent you my email earlier this morning. Haven't been checking the thread all that regularly but double check to see if it came through and I'll try to check back here later on to see if I need to resend it.

Thx!
    Pumpkin2010

Original Author
    13 years ago

It just showed up in my mailbox, Pumpkin! Must have taken a sidetrack somewhere along the way! Thanks for sending it--you're now on my Spring 2011 list!

Skybird

• laura_42
    13 years ago

(*Unlurking after nearly a year*)

Hi Skybird --

Add me to the list, as well. (Email will be forthcoming in your inbox).

Original Author
    13 years ago

Got your email, Ms. UnLurker! (Glad you came out of lurkdom!) I had the address you sent it from, from some previous swap, and have the new one you sent down to use for this swap!

Skybird

• lindy_loo
    12 years ago

Alright, I'm coming out of lurkdom after ..... 2 years....

It's been a bit crazy around my parts, but I'm out of my apartment and now on 5 acres! I have 6 flats of plants started and I have no clue what I will have to bring, but I will bring whatever I have extra of. I am also trying to get my friend to come with me, but I haven't heard back from her yet.

I'm looking forward to getting back into the gardening frame of mind.

• ragrif
    12 years ago

I plan on coming this year....my first swap.
    The 7th might be hard but other than that any Sat or Sun in May is good.
    Rosie

• highalttransplant
    12 years ago

With it being on a Sunday, instead of a Saturday this time, I probably won't be able to make it. Even if I could work it out, I definitely wouldn't be there by 11:00.

Bonnie

• sorie6 zone 6b
    12 years ago

Skybird did you get my email saying I'd like to come and maybe 3 of us? Thanks

• gardenfiend
    12 years ago

Hello Skybird, I would LOVE to come to the plant swap this year! I have never been before but have wanted to for a couple of years now. I have a purplish-brown thumb & have no plants to swap. I do have a fragrant light purple lilac bush that has a lot of (2-3 ft.)"shoots?" coming up from it. I could bring some of those. I would love to have any type of "fragrant" plants or herbs (like your pretty yellow columbine bush). I would love to find someone with a fig tree/bush that I could get a start from. I don't know if they would grow here in Colo. Springs. Maby in a planter? Please add me to your list. I will send my address to your e-mail box. Thanks, C-YA, gardenfiend %):>

Original Author
    12 years ago

Time to get caught up here! Way past time to get caught up here! With all the nice weather, I've been living out in the yard, potting up things for the swap, and TRYING to get my veggie garden ready to plant--and planted! Still have a lot to do, but the WIND is blowing like a hurricane today, and I really don't feel like putting up with that right now, so I guess it'll have to wait!

LindyLoo, WOW, five acres! How I envy you! The swap will be a good place to get some things to start filling it up--not that I really think you're gonna "fill up" all five acres!! But what great options you must have at this point! Enjoy!

Ragrif, I assume you've found the date up above by now, but, just in case, this time it's gonna be on Sunday, May 22nd, starting at 11:00.

Bonnie, sorry you may not be able to come after all. When I picked the date I was going by what you posted on the Over Winter thread where you said that the weekend of the 14th/15th was the only time you couldn't make it. When you didn't say anymore after I asked for preferred dates above, I assumed that was still true. I hope you'll still decide to come down, regardless of what time you get here!

GardenFiend, welcome to RMG! When you have time, please go to the What are you bringing? -What do you want? thread and post your request for the columbine--and anything else you'd like to have--over there. Post the stuff about "looking for fragrant things" over there too, to be sure everyone sees it. And a quick FYI! I don't know of any fig/Ficus plants that would be even close to hardy around here, and most of the Ficus plants I'm familiar with don't like major changes in temperature and light conditions, so I'm not too sure they'd do well if you tried to move them outside over summer. Its' still possible somebody might be able to help with your request, but I think you'd need to consider it strictly an inside plant year round for it to do well. With your lilacs, if they're far enough away from the main plant, try digging one up, and if it has roots, stick it/them in a pot(s) and bring them along. I don't remember if there were any specific requests this year, but lilacs have often been wished for at past swaps, and I'm sure somebody would love to get them! Just thought of one more thing! In the past we've had people carpool from COS--and other places. I haven't been keeping track of who's coming from where this time, but if you'd be interested in doing that, post here, or start a separate "Swap - Carpooling" thread, and possibly you could connect up with someone else from that direction.

As of right now, here's the list of people that have said they plan to or hope to come--with possible guests, if I noticed it when I added the name to the list. I've been trying to pick the names up off of both of the threads, but if I've missed anybody, please post here to be sure I get it.

autodidact
    b2alicia
    billie ladybug
    conace55
    dsieber
    gardenfiend
    gjmancini
    highalt ?
    jclepine
    karengrow
    kvenkat
    laura 42
    lealeigh
    lindy loo (+1)
    mayberrygardener
    mstywoods
    petuniamel
    polygonum - serpent [3 total]
    provogirl
    pumpkin2010 (with Petunia)
    ragrif
    redley_gardener
    singcharlene
    sorie6 (+ 1 or 2)
    sugaralice
    tobaira
    treebarb
    TVo

HERE ARE THE PEOPLE I STILL DON'T HAVE AN EMAIL ADDRESS FOR:

dsieber
    lindyloo (have an address from past swaps, need verification that it's still good)
    lealeigh
    ragrif

Go to my bio page and click on "send me an email" to send it to me. If you're planning to come, I need to have your address so I can send you my (real world!) address and directions to my house shortly before the swap.

Thank you to everybody who's already sent me their address, or verified it for me.

EVERYBODY, be sure to check out the What are you bringing? - What do you want? thread to see all the things people have posted already that they're planning to bring, and post over on that thread if you want to get dibs on some things. That's the only way to be sure the people you're requesting things from will see it and get your name on it--whatever IT happens to be!

Now on to an update on the Bringing/Wanting thread! I have a bunch more stuff to list, and that update is gonna take longer than this one!

Anybody else planning to come this time?

Skybird

• catnohat
    12 years ago

Hello Skybird,

I'm a newbie to the group. I just posted my have/want list on the other thread. I wanted to get you my email address. I should be able to get Sunday the 22nd off. I hope so anyway because I'm very excited about the swap! I didn't know how else to get you may email address so here it is. catnohat1@hotmail.com
    Thanx!
    I look forward to meeting everyone.
    Cat

• woliver
    12 years ago

Hi!
    I'm new to the group and area, we moved to the Monument area from Ohio last fall and I had just gotten a handle on perennial/veggie gardening in Ohio but I have a lot to learn in this new climate! The previous owners didn't pick up a stick for the 8 years that they lived here (haha!) so the yard is big overgrown mess. I have started my cold veggies and have planted a few drought tolerant hardy perennials but that is about all we have so far. I'm looking forward to learning more and being part of the spring swap! I will send my email address to Skybird.
    Thanks!
    Wendy

• lattefairy
    12 years ago

Skybird - I checked my email but I haven't received the directions to your place yet. I sent you an email via Gardenweb about 2 weeks ago, but not sure if you received it or not.

TIA! :)

Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi all,

I just sent out the email with my address and directions to everyone who's sent me their email address. If it doesn't show up in your inbox (or your spam box!) soon, let me know and I'll try again.

Here's the list of people who should be receiving it:

aloha2009
    autodidact
    b2alicia
    billie ladybug
    catnohat

chcolatecat
    gardenfiend
    gjmancini
    jclepine
    juletee

kvenkat
    lattefairy (+ gardendreamer)
    laura 42
    lindy loo (+ 1)
    mayberrygardener

milehighgirl
    mstywoods
    petuniamel
    polygonum
    provogirl

pumpkin2010
    redley_gardener
    serpentmoon
    singcharlene
    sorie6 (+ 1 or 2)

sugaralice
    tobaira
    tommysmommy
    treebarb (+ 1)
    TVo
    Woliver

***** I STILL NEED EMAIL ADDRESSES FOR THESE THREE PEOPLE. *****
    If you still want to come to the swap, Private Message your address to me by going to "my page" and click on "send me a message." We'd all love to have you come, but I need a way to contact you!

dsieber
    lealeigh
    ragrif

A couple reminders! Please be sure to bring a serving spoon if your dish will need one, and please be sure there's some way to keep your dish covered. If you'll need to reheat something when you arrive, the microwave/stove/oven will be available for your use! With any plants you bring, please be sure they're labeled some way\-\-\-more info about labeling in my very first post at the top of this thread. And please be sure your plants are watered the day before the swap\-\-so they're not too wet to transport, but so they won't be wilting during the swap. If you haven't already read all the Swap FAQ's at the top of this thread, especially if this is your first swap, I recommend you look them over so you'll have some idea of how we do it! It's fun to see several new people coming to this swap! For the demonstration, in addition to the propagation info, I'm planning to include some basic info on soil (gonna show you all why I say never, never use Hyponex soil!), on shopping for perennials, planting them, caring for them, and some other miscellaneous stuff! This is going to be an "interactive" demonstration, and I'll keep talking and answering questions as long as people are willing to listen\-\-and participate! I mentioned this on one of the other threads, but, again, if the weather is nice, as NOAA is now predicting it's gonna be, you'll be in the sun for at least part of the day\-\-\-so don't forget the sun screen if you'll need it! I still have several private emails that I was hoping to be able to respond to individually, but I may not have enough time to do it! If you emailed me and I have your name on the list above, and you got MY\-\-just sent\-\-address email, you're all set. I apologize if I don't get around to a private reply! If you have any general swap questions, please post them here, rather than emailing them to me, so possibly somebody else can help to answer them. At least a couple of you have emailed that you're not going to be able to make it by 11:00. That works just fine too, and we'll hold off on the eating until at least noon or a little bit later so most people are here before we start. And if people are spread out a little bit it'll probably work out better anyway since the walk into my backyard is only "one\-person wide!" So we'll see you all when you get here!

******* THE SWAP IS SUNDAY, MAY 22, STARTING AT 11:00 A.M. *******

If you're just seeing this for the first time, it's not too late to decide to come! As long as there's time to get your email address to me, and for me to send you the address and directions, everyone is still invited to come! The more the merrier!

See you all next Sunday, Skybird P.S. LatteFairy, it was JUST sent, and I haven't gotten anything back from MailerDaemon, so wait a couple more hours to see if it arrives (be sure to check your spam box), and let me know if you still don't get it by morning. (I got your email and it's one of the ones I haven't had time to respond to privately\-\-but I have you and GardenDreamer down\-\-don't have an address for GardenDreamer, so you're the only one getting the email.)
  • lattefairy
    12 years ago

Skybird - Thank you! I just got your email with the directions. :)

• mstywoods
    12 years ago

Thank you Skybird for all the work you put into the swaps!!! Please let me know what items you still need other then the 3 camp chairs I will bring and some smaller cups. Anything else?! I will bring a food item, too, of course :^)

Can't wait to see everyone!

Marj

• catnohat
    12 years ago

Marj- I got the smaller cups covered and someone else is bringing larger ones. Why don't you just bring the keg! : ) Or perhaps the chocolate fountain. Lol

Cat

• mstywoods
    12 years ago

Ha ha - both good suggestions ;^) I actually DO have a chocolate fountain (actually, it's my daughters that we got her for her 16th birthday 'cause she really wanted one. Think we used it once, but she doesn't want to get rid of it.)! Don't think it'd be too good for our outdoor event though - unless you're in to chocolate covered bugs :^D

Marj

• billie_ladybug
    12 years ago

I heard ants and grasshoppers are both supposed to be very good and nutritious. I think I have enough at my place that everyone could at least get samples.

Use the fountain again at her graduation party then maybe sometime in the distant future a wedding?

Billie

Original Author
    12 years ago

I was thinking the same thing, Billie! Chocolate covered grasshoppers! YUM! My ants are just starting to emerge from their humongous caverns underground, but I think they're too small for dipping! But how about chocolate covered flies???

Now, about the keg! I know I said the demo was gonna be "interactive," but, uhh, that might make it TOO interactive!!!

:-D
    Skybird

• jclepine
    12 years ago

Chocolate covered flies???

Oh, my, it takes A LOT to gross me out and chocolate covered ants couldn't do it but flies, eww!!

I'm over it.

Sponsored
Moda Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living