Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
skybirdforever

?? Perennial Swap - Denver Area ??

Hi all,

Ive been thinking a lot about a possible perennial swap sometime this summer, and IÂm wondering how much interest there is around here to do this. So far on the WhoÂs Here thread there are 8 people in the immediate metro area, and at least 7 or 8 more within easy driving distance. And so far IÂm showing 7 COS peopleÂwho could possibly decide to make a trip up to the BIG city for a day!

If thereÂs enough interest, IÂd be willing to have it at my houseÂIÂm in Thornton at 128th and Colorado Blvd.

IÂm thinking of a primarily perennial plant and seed swap, but we could also include houseplants if thereÂs interest, and miscellaneous garden accouterments! Pots, tools, garden art, or anything else you may have. IÂm thinking if we do this, people will need time to dig up and pot, or plant, or start cuttings of what theyÂre going to bring, so weÂd need time to be ready for it. I was thinking about possibly late in June, however, if I have it here, I wouldnÂt be able to come up with the exact date until late May since IÂm a flight attendant and donÂt get my schedule for each month until late in the month before. If someone else would like to have it at their house, IÂm sure open to possibilities!

I was thinking of afternoon, and thought if everyone brings some kind of finger food we could make a mini-party out of it. I could make iced tea and provide cups and snack plates.

The other one I went to, everybody just kind of grabbed the plants they wanted, but IÂm kind of wondering if maybe it would be better to draw numbers for at least the first roundÂand maybe the second, and let people pick their first choice, and then open it up to free-for-all style. Any thoughts?

At the last one, I and Cheryl (in charge of perennials at PaulinoÂsÂleft there last yearÂand now back there again!) did a demo on how to propagate from cuttings. If thereÂs enough interest, we could probably do that againÂthough I donÂt have anything at all like the setup olegraymare had to do that. It would wind up with just a big table and everybody standing around!

And if itÂs at my house, it would be open to anybody I know from here at GW (or "that other" gardening site I post onÂthough thereÂs not very many people over there yet), or any of your good gardening friends, but NO strangers. I feel totally comfortable with the people I know hereÂafter all, how many ax murderers are going to be spending their time on a gardening forum???Âbut I donÂt want to give my address to any total strangers! I really enjoy the people around here, and wish out friends from the Western slope, WY, UT, and ID could come too!

IÂm kind of assuming it would need to be on a Saturday for people with "normal" jobs, but thatÂs often the hardest day for me to get off, so IÂd need to see what I could work out.

On a scale of 1 to 10, how likely would you be to come if it were held on a day when you could make it? (1 = Not in a million years! & 10 = If IÂm not in a hospital, IÂll be there!)

If youÂre interested in coming, what other ideas and suggestions do you have?

If youÂre not interested in coming, IÂm not interested in your ideas and suggestions!!! ;-)

HereÂs hoping for a "perfect" summer,

Skybird

Comments (30)

• cnetter
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

It seems that I always had a schedule conflict in the past, or I would have come. I'm more interested in giving away plants than getting them - I hate to throw out healthy plants. Depending on when it is, I could have lots of annuals to get rid of as well as other stuff.

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I have the same problem, cnetter! I was just out cleaning up plants, and wound up sticking all the cuttings I got. I HATE to throw things away! I wound up with a couple dozen Sheffield Hillside Pink and a dozen Hopleys Purple ornamental oregano. I dont know what Im gonna do with them when they root! Wish I still had a couple acres to plantbut then Id just have more cuttings! LOL And my many varieties of ground cover sedums are going crazy all ready. Not sure what Im going to do when I cut them back. I can give a little bit away to neighbors, but theres not really any gardeners around here. I wonder if theres a 12-step program somewhere for people who cant throw plants away!

• singcharlene
    17 years ago

I'd love to do a swap and even more meet you all! I'll be gone for two weeks in the middle of June.
    Also, my problem is that I don't have anything to swap. I probably have plants on my property that would be worthy but I have no idea how to do that. There are lots of iris that I'd be willing to share but don't think I'll have the time to dig them all up this year. I'm trying to get the school garden up and running by August when the kids come back from summer break.

• greenj1
    17 years ago

i would be very interested. I usually have several hundred cuttings & seedlings going under lights at any point between APR and OCT, so I would have lots to trade. I think I would want to know also what are people interested in. Rock garden plants? Rose cuttings? Perennial salvias? i could fill the car with selections from any of the above, but it would be a drag to bring them to the swap if no one is interested.

• plantladyco
    17 years ago

Sounds wonderful, but it would be very unlikely that I would drive to Denver for it.
    What do I do with extra plants I can't bear to throw away?...plant my alley!!

• peace_rose
    17 years ago

Just an idea for folks with too many perennials: the First Denver Friends Church at 46th and Federal has a plant sale every June as a fundraiser (connected to their chuch yard sale). They might love to have people donate plants that they could sell.

I wouldn't have many plants to share (except Jupiter's beard, which is seeding itself like crazy!), but I would love to take some plants off your hands!

Original Author
    17 years ago

PUBLIC NOTICE! :-)

I just want to stick a note in here to say, dont be afraid to say youd like to come if you dont have much or dont have anything to trade! As you can see from the posts, at least some people will be mostly trying to get rid of stuff! At the last one I went too I did wind up taking a couple things home with me, but I brought way, way more than I took home. So there will be plenty of stuff! And part of the fun will be to meet each other and "trade" friendship!

And, greenj1, if there turns out to be enough interest, we could start another thread to post what we would or could bring to get some feedback on whos interested in what. It works for me! Im open to any and all ideas!

Charlene, most likely later in the monthwhatever monthwill work out for me best, but, if we get that far, Ill keep your disappearance in mind, and might ask you exactly when youll be gone if it gets to that.

And, Peace, thanks for the heads up about the Friends Church. Many, many years ago I went to a Quaker silent meeting church for a while more down in the main Denver area, and I enjoyed it very much. If I can do something to help them, Im glad to. And I bet somebody would be interested in your Jupiters Beard, but youd be welcome to come "take some plants off our hands" in any event!

Skybird

• hummingbird
    17 years ago

I would absolutely love to get in on this and meet you all. Since I'm new to Colorado, heck the USA for that matter... be nice to make some new friends. I only have hostas to swap at the moment, not sure just yet what is planted in the gardens from the previous owner yet, but will find out soon . I'm in Arvada so wouldn't be too out of the way. I'll be visiting in Canada May 27th until June 10th, but after that ill be around, that may interfere with your date though. A saturday or sunday afternoon works well on this end.
    Rachel

• conace55
    17 years ago

I am from southeast Aurora area and would certainly be intersted in coming. I don't have tons to share (mostly groundcovers and bearded iris), but I would enjoy the chance for a new plant and the talk of plants.

Skybird, I went to last year's swap and I agree with the drawing numbers idea. Since I didn't have much to share, I held back until others chose. I would have loved to have a chance at some of the "choice" plants.

Connie

• nancy_in_co
    17 years ago

Hi, I haven't been on gardenweb since last fall so I don't know if I qualify as one of the people you feel comfortable giving your address to or not. But I would love to join a plant swap. I have a large garden and generally have lots of stuff that just hits the composter every year. I doubt that my excess would be considered prime - with a large garden, lots of dogs and not much water, I mostly grow the old tough favorites but I would love to come and get some new ideas.

Nancy

Original Author
    17 years ago

Connie, was there a perennial swap from GW last year? I sure never heard about it if there was. There was a post looking for olegraymare who used to host them, but she never replied. Or was it the last one at her house in fall of 05 that you were at? Just wondering! I bet somebody would love to have some of your iris and groundcovers! And, with the iris, you wouldnt even have to put them in pots! You could just knock the soil off of the roots, cut the fans part way off on the top, and bring them that way. Do you have any good pinks or deep purplesshe said, salivating! I dont have room for many, but I sure could manage to find a spot for one more! (There goes another chunk of sod!)

And I sure wouldnt mind a little start of another yellow or green/yellow variegated hosta either, hummer. But it would have to be something a teeny little bit smaller than Sum and Substance, unfortunately!

And, Nancy, old, tough favorites are always good to have around. Its funny, but when I was selling perennials, thats the sort of thing most people were looking for. A lot of what I have will be 6 or 7 different groundcover sedums. I like to grow a bunch of different ones, but I dont really want to be "covering the ground," so Im always cutting them backand cant stand to throw out the cuttings.

Andyou definitely "qualify," Nancy! Basically what I mean is I dont want somebody who doesnt post on RMG/GW, or who isnt a personal friend of somebody who posts. Anybody who posts here has to be a decent person! Well----hmmmmmmm! Do you think I can trust a Canadian who grows a kazillion varieties of hosta??? LOL! See what I mean! Some of us might be kinda nuts with our (good) addictiona lot of people would certainly think Im kinda nutsbut anybody whos interested in plants enough to be posting here, I believe, is a good person! And I havent run into even one rude or irritating or obnoxious person here on RMG! I have on some of the other forums, but not here! And while I wouldnt want those folks at a swap, I still think even they are most likely good people-----just not my type! So even newbies are definitely all invited! If youre a gardener enough to find your way here, youre invited!

And-----if youre serious about coming up from the Springs, Nancy, possibly plantladyco would be interested in coming up with you. And, so far 8 people have checked in on the Whos Here thread from COS, so maybe theres more. Well see!

With 7-8 "would like to comes" already, it looks like this might be a possibility. It definitely wont be before the middle of June, and when we get to that point, well have to find the date that works out for the most people. I dont really care what month it is, so delaying it till even August if too many people are on vacation would be fine with me. Lets see how many more are interested.

Skybird

• cnetter
    17 years ago

I'd like to have some sort of get together much earlier to give away all the extra things I always grow from seed. For instance, this year I bought 4 different bread seed poppy seeds and just sewed them in flats on the back porch. And I kept alot of seeds from the double black variety I grew last year. If these grow like they did last year, I'll have too many.
    These are great reseeding annuals.
    I know I'll have too many salvia patens - a tender perrenial that makes a great annual here. Very very blue.
    And I've got Texas Hummingbird sage. And Orach is already going nuts in the garden. Probably will have too many crook neck and straight neck squash and Ildi tomatoes.
    And other stuff I'm forgetting.

• nancy_in_co
    17 years ago

Hi Cnetter,

I would love to have your extra salvia patens, texas hummingbird sage and Orach. I grew the saliva patens last year and didn't buy any seeds this year for some unknown reason. And I am definitely open to a swap earlier than the end of June. By the end of June, it is getting a little hot and dry around here for easy transplanting.

If the swap can't be arranged earlier, are you anywhere close to Colorado Springs? Thanks, Nancy

Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi cnetter,

Id be interested in a couple of the Savlias too, but I wouldnt really be ready for a swap here before June, and wouldnt have a whole lot ready before then. And Id be happy to have a couple of your opium poppies, too! (My supply of opium is getting low! LOL) Maybe we could have a short spring swap somewhere for people who have extra bedding plants and veggie seedlings to share, and then do another swap latereven late August if everybody would rather wait till its cooling a littleto swap things people have been digging up and dividing during the summer.

If nobody wants to have it at their home, a Spring Swap could be held at a small local park somewhere for a couple hours. I checked a map, and theres one out near you called Pioneer Park at 82nd just west of Simms. Id sure be interestedand would bring the few things I have that would be readyand I have seed for some perennials I could bring. And greenj1 mentioned having lots of cuttings and seedlings. Should we start a separate Spring Swap thread to see how much interest there is?

Skybird

• conace55
    17 years ago

Skybird -- Yes, you are right. The Fall of 05 was the one. My, how time flies. I got a number of daylilies there that should be "growing up" this year.

Connie

• singcharlene
    17 years ago

I would be willing to have the Spring Swap at my house in Castle Rock. Since I don't have plants to swap it could be my small contribution!

If there are any people coming from Colorado Springs it would be closer than Denver. I have a lot of space to spread out tables as we're on 2+ acres.

Or the park would work out too. I'm open :)

Charlene

Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Charlene,

That would be GREAT! Why don't you start a separate thread for a "Spring Swap" for people who might not be looking at this thread anymore. I can always resurrect this thread later.

I hope it happens. I'd LOVE to come, and I'll find SOMETHING to bring.

Skybird

• greenj1
    17 years ago

Any weekend except the weekend of the DBG plant sale (5/12 http://www.botanicgardens.org/pageinpage/plantsale.cfm) is fine with me. Just give me a few weeks advance notice to get everything ready. I can have rooted rose cuttings any time after 6/10 ish.

• Amy Larson
    17 years ago

Any plant swap, anywhere. Just say where and when and I'll be there!

Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Amy,

I havent seen you around here before. Welcome! Do you really live on or near that beautiful ranch? Wow! (I had to find you on a map to figure out where Livermore was!)

Are you serious about driving all the way down here for a swap? I dont know if anything will come of the spring one, but Im going to try my best to have one later on in the summer or early fall. Ill be sure you know about it when a date is set, and keep an eye out here to see if theres going to be a spring one.

Glad to have you here at RMG,
    Skybird

• singcharlene
    17 years ago

Hi all,

Yeah I got the flu from my son. I guess when you clean up someone's vomit (sorry that's gross I know but not as gross as it was for me!) for a few days in a row, it's hard not to be exposed. I am taking Tamiflu and it seems to be working as I'm already feeling better on the fourth day compared to my son who was out of school for a week.

I'm still willing to have the spring swap. What month do you all think would be good for a spring swap? May would be better for me than April. Weekend or weekday? I'm open to both.

Charlene

Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Charlene,

Why don't you start a separate Spring Perennial Swap thread so it's new and people will look at it again. I'm afraid people who checked this one out before might not come back to look anymore. And in a separate thread you'd be better able to get an idea of who-all is interested in a spring one.

I expect to be back to work by mid-April, so the date doesn't make too much difference to me. Once I'm working, there's about a 50/50 chance that I'll have the right day off. I hope I do!

Skybird

P.S. I'm sick too, and I wasn't even around your son! LOL Or anybody else who's sick for that matter. I just have a cold, and it hasn't been too bad, but it's been since Friday---and I'm getting tired of it! Enough already! Glad to hear you're starting to feel better.

• jlynn
    17 years ago

I wish I could come. I'm up by Casper. And Thornton is the only area of Denver I'm even vaguely familiar with! (My grandparents used to live in Thornton).

My hubby and I have our own business and are open m-sat. so that nixes being able to come on weekend.

Skybird- would you be willing for those of us who could come early (I'm in Cheyenne monthly on weekdays) and leave plants for others?

J'Lynn

Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi JLynn,

If you mean would I be willing to hang onto some plants you could bring early until the swap, yes, Id be glad to do that, but am I missing something in the translation? You say youre in Cheyenne monthly, but Im in Denver. What am I missing? Do you get down to Denver? And are you thinking of the Spring Swapif it happensor the summer/fall swapwhich Im going to do my best to make happen? If youre able to get something down here, Id be glad to give you some of my unrooted groundcover sedums if youd like. That way youd at least get something back for whatever you bring. And if its more than a month from now, I may have some Dendranthema/Chrysanthemum (whatever genus theyre using these days) Sheffield Hillside Pink, or some Hopleys Purple ornamental oregano, rooted that I just stuck when I was cleaning up my plants. Or I could give you some of my seeds, but I could find something.

Just let me know if youre thinking of some way to get things down to Denverand about when.

Wish you lived closer,
    Skybird

P.S. Do you know windwhipped is up there in Casper with you!

• ginnytrcka
    16 years ago

Would probably say about an 8 for coming. Would love to come and hear about what is successful and easily propagated, but my rental garden is relatively sparse except for some great trees. I'm going to try rooting some cuttings this week, though. I'm definitely not an expert gardener, so I don't even know the names of things. The gardens here were originally done by a master gardener and I can see 'good bones'; it's just a shame it is in disrepair from years of careless renters. This is probably the first time the grass has seen ANY green in several years. I just know what I like and I like to experiment and see what works without too much work :) If I get some successful rootings, I can take pictures and get id's before then.

Ginny--COS

Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Ginny,

You may have seen the thread(s) already, but you just missed the Spring Swap which was at Singcharlenes in Castle Rock (if you know where that is yet). Im planning to have another one in late summer/fall at my house, so in a couple months keep an eye out for a Fall Swap thread for information.

Hope youll be able to make it,
    Skybird

• emagineer
    16 years ago

Ginny,

There are a number of us in COS. I too am not up on the names of plants either, just love what works and work at what's loved. Everyone has been great here about sharing the plant info.

My place sounds like yours, not taken care of for years. But at one time someone really cared and it is starting to come back to life.

I also got to go to the swap. Sorry you missed it in such a short time of hearing about it. The plants brought home and planted are so very happy, they look great even through all the rain the last couple of days. Hope you can make the fall swap.

Sandy

• ginnytrcka
    16 years ago

Yes, I saw the posts on the Spring swap and it sounded like a lot of fun so I made sure to post to this thread! Well, I went to the Cheyenne Mtn Zoo on Saturday and they were having a plant sale and I couldn't resist getting some perennials. I'm sure I will be able to either dig them up or divide them when we move since everything except the hardiest evergreens was dead when we moved in. They were also selling a lot of a plant that is coming back in my garden that I could pot up for a swap. It may be quite common, but I've noticed you can't buy a lot of plants at the big box stores that do well here; most of the plants I got at the zoo I've never seen on the shelves.

• tim_sickels_yahoo_com
    15 years ago

Have Iris, day lilies, trumpet vine, stag-horn sumac, and 3 dwarf burning bushes......need black-eyed susan, coneflowers, and climbing roses that bloom all season. Located just south of 140th between Holly and Colorado Blvd.

• everbloom
    9 years ago

Hi everyone,
    We moved to a new place on about half acre in southeast Denver about 2 years ago. I've been working on the gardens from scratch. I have put in a fair amount of plant material but still am looking for more. I don't have much to divide yet but could bring a few things if anyone else is interested in a fall plant swap. I came to a few of Skybird's swaps years ago and enjoyed them (brought tons of plants then to swap). I would even entertain hosting at my home ( a log cabin). Thoughts! Thanks, Donna