Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lesismore1

Big Fire(s) in Colorado..

LesIsMore1
12 years ago

I posted this to the 'dry March' thread, but it didn't show up...been listening to this develop over Jefferson Co. dispatch, and its a bad one. If you are in Denver, look west...you should be able to see it from there by now. Fire is west of Evergreen, moving north fast...evacuations in progress in the Pleasant Park area.

They are saying over the police scanner that containment isn't an option until this wind stops. Stay safe if you are in that area. If they knock on your door, wanting you to evacuate? Do it. This is a dangerous fire...

Going back to the scanner now...

Leslie in Woodland Park

Comments (3)

• colokid
    12 years ago

Yesterday 50 MPH winds and humidity from zero to 9 percent. No moisture in sight. Denver March moisture was lowest on record-supposed to be biggest snow fall but zero snow in March. It's going to be a long, hot summer.

• david52 Zone 6
    12 years ago

I was thinking grass fires on the plains, not forest fires - in March.

Our fire season here is - usually - late July, before the Monsoon's start up - dry June and July = everything is crispy, then we get the lightening strikes as the storms start to move in from the south. But we had a red flag warning yesterday.

• LesIsMore1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Good morning. 4500 acres (mostly forest) burned up so far, and the sheriffs office just issued 6500 additional pre-evacuation notices. :(

On this google map, you can see where the fire is (red outline) and the area that is currently under evacuation orders. (blue outline) As of 5 minutes ago, the pre-evacuation notices that just went out are not on this map... those areas will be added later if/when more evacuations begin.

These forest fires are so scary. I live about 40 miles south of where the big fire started yesterday...on this map, you would go south on highway 67 to get to my house, and no fire here. But I feel so bad for the ones who have had to leave. Some have animals trapped in the fire zone, they are still trying to get them out. And the firefighters are working so hard, but when its this dry... the best they can do is get people out of its path, and try to minimize property damage as much as possible. The smoke is creating an air quality hazard north of here. This is a gorgeous forest too... runs all the way from here to Denver with very few roads. Its a shame to see so much of it on fire...:(

If only there was some way to make it rain like crazy... that would really help at this point.

Les

Here is a link that might be useful: Map of fire zone & current evacuation area

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths