Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Aspen planting

Posted by Grim42 none (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 30, 13 at 21:41

I'm thinking about planting some Aspens out front. We're at about 8,500 alt. in Woodland Park. We don't have a lawn but do have some large ponderosa pines. I saw some Aspens at HD for sale at a reasonable price. They had three trunks in each container. It did look as though the tops might have been trimmed which made me wonder if that would impact their growth? Also if I were to purchase several of these, what sort of spacing do I need to use?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Aspen planting

Aspen can turn into a weed, sending up shoots and runners everywhere after a few years, and you can end up with a thicket of small, stunted trees. I hear far more complaints than good things. Some people are able to control that with weekly mowing and pruning, but generally speaking, aspen really don't do well in a standard front or back yard. An entire hillside, ok.

I'd look more at birch trees - you get the same look, and they're far easier to control.

But if you want to go ahead and try, three stems in a bundle sounds about right. I don't know about spacing.

o
RE: Aspen planting

HD would be the last place I would go for plants. Nevertheless, that high they should be OK. I agree with David that they'll sucker and you'll have to keep the antlered friends off of them, but as long as you don't mind the fact they are short-lived, why not? They are my favorite tree in the wild, but can be a disappointment in the garden.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here