Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lean / well draining soil

Posted by idahoan_2010 Idaho 6a (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 8, 10 at 21:50

Hello, significant other wants a humming bird garden,I am new to all this and looking on web found these two recipe's for lean /well draining soil.
1. three parts coarse grit or stone chips,one part garden soil,one part peat or compost.
2. 9 parts coarse sand ,5 parts peat ,4 part pumice. Plants will be in 10' x 6'raised beds 16" - 18" deep starting from scratch ( no topsoil and hard as heck ). Salvia dorii,Salvia pachpylla,Salvia nemorasa,Stachy's coccinea,Achillea kellereri,Kniphofia hirsuta,Penstemon eatoni,Penstemon pinifolius,Penstemon virens, Agastache acapulco. I have a tree farm close by to purchase topsoil. Either plain screened ( tan dirt very little in the way of humus or compost)or mixed with sand and bark mulch.
Thinking of using the latter and mixing in concrete sand ( coarsest I can find ) and some decomposed granite or expanded shale if i can find any in bulk. Am I on the right track ANY and all help appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lean / well draining soil

Wow, Idahoan, you are more than a mile or 2 from my gardens. But, I've got some gravel I can sell you.

I think you are on the right track but what do I know? I once "killed" plants in Moscow, there in the the Palouse Hills. Just couldn't make the adjustment from glacial till to wind-blown loess. And now, after 4 decades here . . .

I posted the link below on the soil thread. Maybe it will be of help to you. Some of the ingredients you mention are included in those mixes.

Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: Attra - Potting Mixes

o

When you make your mound, incorporate your mix into the native to get drainage. Two different layers won't drain until saturated (perched water table) and this will kill roots. I had an area in the yard in Sacramento that I dedicated to hummers & that's where I ended up all the time. You won't regret the extra work and care.

Dan

o

For the granite, I use chicken grit. You can find it at feed stores in fairly large (and heavy) bags.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here