Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laura_42

Local Nuseries in Fort Collins/Northern Colorado?

laura_42
15 years ago

Does anyone have a recommendation? So far I mostly visit Fort Collins Nursery, because they've been around for awhile and still cater to the vegetable garden crowd. There was a small, friendly operation in west Windsor where I got my strawberries from last year, but I think they went out of business. :(

There's also Bath and Gully's, and I'm going to check out Creekside and Harmony Gardens, as well.

Anywhere else I should visit?

Comments (14)

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    15 years ago

Hi Laura,

Here's a link to a list of garden centers that sell the PlantSelect selections. That doesn't necessarily mean they're good, but any place that's involved with PlantSelect is at least a "real" garden center! There are 4 in Ft. Collins, and one in Loveland. I don't know anything about them, but they'd be worth checking out.

And then there's Harlequin Gardens in Boulder, which I've never been to myself, but I've heard good things about it. It's on the list too.

Maybe some of your compadres up in that area will be along with an evaluation of the ones up there.

Happy shopping,
    Skybird

Here is a link that might be useful: List of Colorado garden centers

• austinnhanasmom
    15 years ago

Although I live 50 miles away, the ONLY place I would buy trees and bushes for my current and past yards is Harmony Gardens.

I selected them for my old house because their normal prices were the same as the Denver metro areas "clearance" prices. Then, seeing the quality sold me. While neighbors' trees died, all of mine lived:))

When I moved to Broomfield, I had NO question of where to go for trees and bushes. I paid a bit extra to have everything delivered here, but it was worth it. My neighbors will ask why my trees look so much better then theirs, although we planted at the same time. I do feed and water my trees religiously, but starting with great quality was the key.

For my Longmont yard, I did also shop at Fort Collins Nursery and they also have nice quality bushes. Now, HGs has expanded and they have much more selection so I didn't have to go anywhere else for my Broomfield yard. I drove by there last weekend and they have expanded even more since I was there 6 years ago.

I think the CSU agriculture program generates knowledgable staff for both HGs and Fort Collins Nursery; probably other garden centers in the area too. Not sure of the current ownership of HG, but when I shopped there, it was owned by a young family of CSU graduates - brothers.

• laura_42
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks so much Skybird and Austinhanasmom! Now I'll be sure to check those out.

• irisgirl
    15 years ago

I also highly recommend Harmony Gardens.

We also have great success w/ the Gulley Greenhouse Garden Center just south of town on the west side of Shields. See link below. They also participate in the Plants Select program and have a very knowledgeable staff, even the young people!

If you feel like driving south a bit, try the Garden Bin in Longmont. If you google their name you can get to their site as well.

Kind regards,
    Irisgirl

Here is a link that might be useful: Gulley Greenhouse

• laura_42
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Irisgirl; I hadn't heard of the Garden Bin. Might be worth a little trip south.

• austinnhanasmom
    15 years ago

I can't believe I forgot about the Garden Bin!! When I lived in Longmont, it was my favorite place to go. It was always my dream place to work, even if only to volunteer - DH never went for it. I haven't been there in years but they had a fantastic rose selection. Their rose guru, a cute little old lady, would NOT sell any before it was time - funny. She tended to the plants like they were the last roses on earth - very good quality. I was sad to leave those roses in my old yard. In Broomfield, we have Garden Country and it's similar to GB, but not the same...

• ion_source_guy
    15 years ago

Laura,

I'm afraid I won't be much help to you, since I've always mostly been to the same places you have been. I like Fort Collins Nursery, because most of their trees and shrubs are grown locally, you can see part of their stock if you drive just north of town on Shields between vine and 287. Most but not all of their help is pretty knowledgeable, but they seem to be a bit closed minded about roses. I go to them for a fruit tree or grape vine or something that it's critical to get something chosen to be optimized for our particular local climate.

I've bought most of my roses from Bath. They have a big sale just before mothers day, so I usually get a new one each year for me, and also one for mom and one for my mother-in-law. The roses are brought in from wherever by the truckload, but they're in good shape, and nearly all varieties chosen well for local climate. Hardly a hybrid tea among them most years. (which is good) LOTS of floribundas and grandifloras.

If I need something unusual I may go to Gulley's. I often buy some perennial flower starts there. They have a lot of stuff out front under that awning that I can't seem to find anywhere else. They had some herbs that I couldn't find elsewhere also.

All three of these places have helpful knowledgeable staff, quality plants and nursery stock. I like going to all three. But the pricesÂÂÂ I know it's costly to run a locally owned business, and I doubt they overpay their staff, so I'm not blaming them. I just can't afford these kind of places except when I need something special. I just can't justify spending that kind of money when I can often buy the exact same tomato plant, blue spruce or oak tree, or flat of petunias and geraniums etc at Wal-Mart or Home Depot for 1/4 or 1/3 the price.

If you know what you want, and don't need a lot of expert advice, and are able to stop by on more than one occasion (since on any particular visit you can count on half the things you want not being in stock), then you can really clean up by going to these discount places. I even buy a lot of stuff at K-mart garden shop since it's right on my way home from work. Even though most years the kids running the K-mart garden shop wouldn't know the business end of garden rake if it bit them in the behind, if I watch for when stuff first arrives, I can buy some great stuff there cheap. Before it dies from the abuse! They usually have some stuff from "Proven Winners" and a couple of those other brands you see advertised in garden magazines at great prices. You just have to make sure to buy it before they kill it, that's all.

Well, thatÂs my 2 cents worth.
    Bruce

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    15 years ago

Hi Mom,

If youÂve been going to that Garden Country place, you REALLY should go a little bit further and try Timberline some day! I had a coupon for Garden Country a couple years ago that gave me something free if I bought a couple perennials. I needed a new Dramm water breaker, and figured there would have to be a couple perennials I could find that I wanted, so I drove over there. I looked and looked and looked! The people were "nice," but there was no rhyme or reason to what was where! Sun, shade, xeric, ground covers! All mixed up! They didnÂt even have all of one kind of plant in the same place! That told me right away that they didnÂt really know anything about the perennials they had for sale! I just kept looking around and finally found a couple things to get that looked goodÂand got my new breaker, but I havenÂt been back since. Oh, I almost forgot! They were having an open house sort of a thing, and I got a free hot dog! That was nice!

I think youÂd really enjoy a walk around Timberline! KellyÂs not into roses big time, so there are better places to go for roses, but if youÂre at all into perennials, the place is to die for! To get there youÂd just go straight down Wadsworth to 58th/Ralston Road, then turn west and Timberline is a couple blocks before Ward Road (next major street after Kipling) on the left. DonÂt take too much money with youÂÂcause you probably wonÂt have however much you took when you get back home!

;-)
    Skybird

• austinnhanasmom
    15 years ago

AHHH Skybird!!

I agree with the chaos at Garden Country!! And they are expensive, except if you catch them during a sale.

I found great clearance selection and prices last fall at O' Tooles off of Wadsworth, but I'll definitely check out Timberline. My DH will file for divorce if I claim I need anything else to plant, after discovering WSing this year, but perhaps they have the particular lawn fertilizer he demands??? LOL.

Thanks for the advice -

P.S. I agree that the best deals are had when the delivery trucks arrive at the discount shops - pre-abuse and good prices.

Deb

• jah742foco_co
    15 years ago

laura, i live and garden in fort collins. there are lots of choices, depends on what you are looking for. fort collins nursery is great, lots of knowledge, lots of selection. creekside is excellent, great fall sales (bogo on starter perennials), and great native shrubs and trees. bath is fine, although a little pricey. plantorium has usda organic veggie starts and heirlooms. (i also have 16 varieties of non-certified organicly grown starts). fossil creek is south west, as well as gulley. i usually stick northside, so i can't really speak to their knowledge or selection, but i hear good things. what specifically were you looking for, perhaps i can steer you in the right direction. i have spent alot of time at local nurseries. jared

• laura_42
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, Jared! I *knew* I must be overlooking a place or two! This looks right up my alley, as I'm on the lookout for a place that sells organic/heirloom vegetable garden plants, amongst other things.

• jah742foco_co
    15 years ago

laura, hope you find what your looking for. i also start tons of extra tomatoes, peppers, tomatillos, squash, cukes, etc. i have made it my little spring project, i usually get a few bucks each at my place of employment.
    tomaotoes are my main spread, this year's list includes...bloody butcher, cherokee purple, black krim, black from tula, oregon spring, sugar sweetie cherry, chocolate cherry, japanese black trifele, mortgage lifter (hope it really works!), some oxheart from my MIL, and the arkansas travelers are awaiting germination. might reseed these. or hedge my losses, and deal with my list as is. i am always up for a trade, i usually get $2-3 each, for nice, healthy, organically grown starts. jared

• laura_42
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow, that's a lot of tomatoes! :) They're definitely on my list, as this is only my second season veggie gardening and I haven't gotten up the nerve to start warm season plants from seed just yet.

I'm especially on the lookout for a super-short season determinate tomato, as I nearly ran out of sun in my north facing garden plot last autumn. I'm also searching for a good container tomato for the front porch, which faces south.

• greenhouse7lady
    8 years ago

Have you tried Jordan's on north Taft hill. Good quality, Pleasant staff.