Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
skybirdforever

Spring Swap - 2010!

Hi all,

Im going to leave CharleneÂs thread on top so people can read what she posted, and start another thread here to see if thereÂs any interest in having a Spring Swap or not.

There are a lot of newbies around here, so IÂm gonna start with a little history for those who werenÂt around here when weÂve had past swaps!

After having been to a swap in Denver (Â05) hosted by someone who no longer posts here, in spring of Â07 I started a thread asking if anyone on RMG would be interested in having one. I suggested having it in June sometime, and that IÂd have it at my house at that time. Others wanted to have it earlier in spring so they could bring extra seedlings they had, but I couldnÂt have it here that early so I suggested having it in a public park somewhereÂand at that point Charlene jumped in and said she was willing to have a spring swap at her house.

Since then Charlene has hosted the Spring Swap at her house in Castle Rock each of the past three springs, I had the Fall Swap here at my house in Â07 and Â08, and the Fall Swap last year was at catladysgardenÂan RMG member who rarely posts.

If thereÂs enough interest and no one else is willing to host a Spring Swap this year, IÂd be willing to have another one at my houseÂBUT.........

If IÂm working, I donÂt find out until late in the month what my schedule for the following month will be, so the actual date couldnÂt be announced until probably a couple weeks before the actual swap, making planning pretty hard for everyone! Having said that, IÂve been off work (again) for the last few months and donÂt know at this point when (or if) IÂll be able to go back again, but I hope to as soon as possible, and if I do itÂll probably be pretty abruptly, so even tho IÂm off now, I still wouldnÂt be able to make any definite plans until much closer to the end of April or beginning of MayÂwhich is when it usually is! But if enough people want to have one, and no one else wants to host it, we could go back to the plan to have it in a park somewhere, and if I happened to still be off at the time, it could be moved here! (IÂm in Thornton, north end of Denver, for those who havenÂt been here before!)

For up-to-now-non-attendees of a swap, hereÂs the basic info on how we do it!

The Spring Swap is usually on a Saturday in early May and usually starts around 11:00 a.m. and ends sometime mid afternoonish. Plantwise, the Spring Swap usually includes both divisions and starts of perennials along with extra seedlings people have of both veggies and annuals. (The Fall Swap is usually more just perennials!) So everybody brings whatever they have that theyÂre not gonna use, AND nobody needs to bring any plants if theyÂre new to gardening or for some other reason donÂt have any they can bring. There has always been way plenty at each of our previous swaps for everybody to get a bunch of stuff! Yes! You get to take plants home even if you didnÂt bring any! And we get together as much to meet each other and discuss gardening and what-not-all as we do to swap plants!

We also bring something for a potluck and have an eclectic lunch together before we do the actual plant swapping. If we wind up doing it at a park, I think weÂll just forgo the potluck part!

After hanging out eating for a while, we go around and each person who brought plants briefly describes what they brought, then we pick numbers and for the first "two rounds" we go by the numbers and everybody gets to pick the two things they want the most. Then we open it up free-for-all style, and everybody just grabs whatever they want from whatÂs left!

So thatÂs what our plant swaps are all about!

WhoÂs interested in having one this spring? And is there anybody around here (somewhere in the greater Metro Denver area) whoÂd be willing to consider hosting it at their house?

Skybird

Spring Swap - 2009

Yeah! It's mostly girls! But boys are welcome too!

:-)

Fall Swap - 2007 - Free-for-all part!

Comments (78)

• mooseling
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

This sounds awesome! I'd love to come, but I highly doubt I'd be able too. I'll be going to Oregon on "business" trips (more like drooling over all the irises trips) or playing hockey. I think I might have one weekend in May that's not otherwise occupied, so if it so happens that this goes down on that weekend, I'd like to go. Otherwise, I guess there's next year. And fall. I'd have more for those times anyway.

• provogirl
    13 years ago

I would love to come and so far my schedule is open for now.

ProvoGirl

• serpent_moon
    13 years ago

what time might it be at? (and also what day)

• kareng_grow
    13 years ago

I live in Black Forest (just north of Colorado Springs) and could be available the early part of May (May 2) or the weekend after Mother's Day. I have house guests coming for Mother's Day weekend and then the week before and through Memorial Day. I would be willing to drive anyone else from this area who might want to go...I would love to come and meet everyone...

• serpent_moon
    13 years ago

is there a date and time planned yet?(i'm sorry, i'm impatient because i like knowing how soon till something a day is ;^D

• angelinagardens
    13 years ago

Ok, let's do May 23, 10 a.m. Does that work for everyone? If anyone feels strongly about another option, please speak up! Otherwise, I will see everyone at my house. Please send me an email so that I can send my address to everyone, as the date approaches - I wouldn't want anyone to miss the swap!

• serpent_moon
    13 years ago

that is fine by me :)

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ok, we have a date!

The Spring Swap will be SUNDAY, MAY 23rd at 10:00 a.m. IN LONGMONT.

Angel will email her address and directions to her house about a week before the actual swap, so EVERYBODY, be sure you send her your email address by either emailing or PMing her thru GardenWeb. You can get her email address or PM her by going to her bio page and then click on "send me an email." Whichever way you do it, be sure you INCLUDE YOUR GW SCREEN NAME so she knows who you are.

Angel, if you have any questions or concerns, email me!

~~~ SO HERES ALL THE BASIC INFORMATION! ~~~ ~~ We start the swap with the pot luck. Your dish can be absolutely anything! Hot dishes, cold dishes, appetizers/finger foods, salads, sweetsanything you think others would enjoy! Homemade dishes, if you have time, are always good! I havent verified this with Angel, but Im guessing we can use the microwave if something needs to be heated when you get there. Please bring a serving spoon if it will be needed for your dish, and also please make some provision for it to be covereda lid if its that type of dish, or plastic wrap, or whatever. One other request! I love sweets, so I definitely dont want to put too much of a damper on the dessert type things, but at a couple of the swaps we seemed to wind up with mostly sweets, so if youre trying to decide between that or something else, lean toward the something else! ~~ After eating and talking while we eat we do the actual swapping. Before we start picking plants, well once again have everybody who brought plants briefly tell what they brought so everyone knows whats available to help them decide what theyd like to have. Then everyone draws a number for the first and second rounds of picking plantsthat way everyone has a pretty good chance to get the one or two things they want the most. Then we open it up to just walking around and picking out whatever anyone wantsthe free\-for\-all part! ~~ Please be sure the plants you bring are labeled one way or another. Either stick a tag in the pot, or staple a piece of paper with the name onto the pot, or just write the name of the plant on the pot with a marker or crayonat past swaps some people have made up adhesive labels with the plant name and basic information and stuck them on the potsI make up little strips of paper on the computer with the info and include one with each plant. Anything to ensure the person getting the plant will know what they have when they get home. Its easy to think youre gonna remember the names of the things you take homeand even easier to forget them by the time you do get home!!! ~~ ANDour primary RMG plant swap rule! Nobody needs to have any plants to be welcome at the swap! There are always plenty of plants to go around, and we get together as much to swap gardening talk and friendship as to swap plantsso come regardless of how much you do or don't have to bring!

Ill be starting a separate thread soon where we can list the things we know well be bringingor hope to be bringing, and we DO allow "earmarking" of plants before the swap, so when people start listing what they might have, just post to let them know if they have something you want. If you dont request it "ahead" on the forum, you need to wait for the "picking of the plants" on the day of the swap and keep your fingers crossed that somebody else doesnt pick it first! Theres no "early picking" on the actual day of the swap. Everything that isnt earmarked for somebody before the swap goes into the pool and gets picked starting with the first two rounds. If somebody says they want something youre bringing, you mark it with their name and make sure it gets to them the day of the swap.

A couple other things!

Angel, do you have a couple fairly large tables to put the food on, or would you like people to bring some extra tables? And how about chairs? Should some of us bring some extra chairs?

Heres a list of things well need for the potluck. We need to be sure somebody will be bringing this stuff.

Beverage water, iced tea, something else?
    Styrofoam cups
    Paper plates
    Napkins I have gobs of these and Ill bring a bunch!
    Plastic silverware
    Will we need ice?

Ill be bringing the sign in sheet, name tags, and numbers for us to use!

Did I forget anything?

Heres the list of people I have down so far that have said they plan to come. One comment! Everyone is welcome to bring other people with them, so if youre having company or have a friend youd like to bring along, just let us know so we have an idea of how many people to expect. AngelinaGarden \- Angel AutoDidact BindweedBenders GreenBean08 JCLepine \- Jennifer KarengGrow Black Forest, willing to bring others from the Colorado Springs areaif the date works for her! LuckyBottom MstyWoods PolygonumTinctorium ProvoGirl SerpentMoon Sherri09 Skybird TreeBarb And heres the list of "not sures" so far: SingCharlene ? I couldnt tell if you were gonna be able to make it or not, Charlene, but I hope you can! HighAltTransplant ? Mooseling ? Remember to send Angel your email address! Thank you for being willing to host it, Angel! Skybird
  • mayberrygardener
    13 years ago

I'm in! I don't know how I didn't make your list, Skybird, but I had already contacted Angel previously.

I should have some veggies to swap--peppers and tomatoes--so I'll keep an eye out for the updated thread and wait until a little closer to see exactly what I'll have.

Angel, do I need to contact you again?

• jclepine
    13 years ago

So excited!!

Only one thing I think you left out and that is to make sure your plants are well watered before arriving at the swap as they can get wilted sitting outside while waiting in tiny pots to be brought home.

I'll bring utensils including knives, forks and spoons.

Jennifer

Original Author
    13 years ago

Im just keeping my own list taken directly from this thread, Mayberrybut youre on it now! Glad to be able to add you!

Jennifers right! The plants everyone brings need to be watered the day before the swap (if you wait till the morning of the swap, theyll be all drippy in your car), but we had some things wilting pretty badly at the first swapespecially small seedlings in plugs or tiny pots, so everybody needs to be sure their plants are wet enough to make it till at least the evening on the day of the swap! And a suggestion for anybody whos planning to bring divisions of established perennials or other dug-up plants. Try to get them put into pots fairly soon so they have some time to recover from the transplant shock and to root out a little bit before somebody else gets them. Also, if youre bringing things like raspberries or iris, they dont even need to be in pots. You can just dig them a day or two before the swap, wrap the roots in wet newspaper and stick them in a plastic bag. Theyll transplant just fine that way.

Ill try to get the whos-bringing-what thread started in the next couple days.

Anybody else planning/hoping to come?

Skybird

• highalttransplant
    13 years ago

Hmmm ... well, the date works for me, but I doubt seriously that I can make it there by 10:00 am from this side of the state.

• tobaira
    13 years ago

It sounds like fun but we have a big celebration for my parents 40th planned for that weekend and will have relatives from out of town with us. Take pictures and post them, would love to see them and hopefully I can come next year. It sounds like a good time =)

-T

Original Author
    13 years ago

Angel, would you have a problem with changing the start time to 11:00? Since its gonna be on a day when Bonnie/HighAlt can come, and since it takes her almost four hours to drive in from Silt (and I dont do home delivery to Silt in spring, LOL), I think we can oblige her in this case! Eleven would work for you, wouldnt it, Bonnie? Im not sure, but I think it might be a little bit quicker to get to Longmont than it has been going to Castle Rock.

Sorry you cant make it to this one, Tobaira, but be sure to keep an eye on RMG in August. The Fall Swap is usually early in September, and the only way we "advertise" it is here on RMG! (And we do post a picture thread after the swap, so watch for it in the week after the swap.)

I just started the thread where everybody can list what theyre planning/hoping to bring, and can get dibs on things others are bringing that theyd like to have. Check it out, and if Ive posted something you want, let me knowand if you know any or all of the things youll be bringing, post a list for us. Ive linked it below.

And just to keep the information separate, please post that youre coming and all other "general" swap info here, and post "what youre bringing and what you want" info on the other thread. Mixing up info between the two threads gets very confusing!

Six weeks till the swap,
    Skybird

• greenbean08_gw
    13 years ago

I would like to second the 11 am request. I don't have to travel as far as Bonnie but it's still a solid 2 hours from here to Longmont. Chances of me being out of the house by 8 are slim :-)

• mayberrygardener
    13 years ago

Bonnie, I smell a sleepover coming on... You're welcome at our house! I'm only 20 minutes from Broomfield, so we could even sleep in!

• mayberrygardener
    13 years ago

Uh... Edit that. 20 minutes from LONGMONT! How can one be 20 minutes from where one IS? DOH!

• kareng_grow
    13 years ago

May 23 will work for me! Thanks for moving to 11 am. I would love to carpool with anyone coming from Black Forest or Colorado Springs. I can't wait to meet everyone!

Karen

• cyndigo
    13 years ago

This sounds like fun! I don't have any plants to share, but will bring some Thai food!

• bekajoi
    13 years ago

OOh fun! It's almost 2 hours to drive for me but I may be able to wake up in time to drive it! :) I'm in CoSpgs and have a van if we need to carpool. # of seats open depends on how much we'll need to fit in the back, and # of kids I have to bring (If ok). I can fold the seat down to open up the back almost as big as a truck bed.

I planted a lot of stuff thinking some of it wouldn't come up, and well, it turns out I have great seed this year. I have a TON of (heirloom!) peppers and eggplant, and likely will have plenty of toms and other stuff too. Though, some of it will need to be in the ground by then (the kales, and broccolis)~

I'm SURE I'll have plenty of stuff to bring to share.

Random note, for those that might not have lots of little pots to plant them into and don't want to go get plastic cups to do so... You can make pretty simple 4" pots out of newspaper! :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VW4t_6dTAvA (general idea, play with it and see what works for you. I improvised a bit for mine)

Quick question though, since this will affect things for me. Are kids cool to bring? Any age range preferred? I may be able to leave one of mine with the hubby (who won't want to go, he enjoys his boring days inside on his days off LOL)~ but I'll likely need to bring at least one of them. Mine are 5 and 7, if that helps, and are generally not terribly insane. :)

• polygonum_tinctorium
    13 years ago

I plan to bring at least one child (serpent moon, who has been to the swaps with me) and might bring a second one. As long as they're fairly well-behaved, children seem to be well-tolerated at the swaps.

• laura_42
    13 years ago

Yay, the swap is being held closer to where I live this year! Sign me up!

I hope to bring some houseplant babies (varigated spider plants, heart philodendrons, and maybe some extra winter sowed plants, if all goes well...

• serpent_moon
    13 years ago

yep i'm coming ! and i can't wait!!!!! ;^) the swaps i've been to (last year spring and fall) were both REALLY REALLY REALLY awesome and fun!!!!!! so i'm really looking forward to this one!

• polygonum_tinctorium
    13 years ago

Heart philodendron? I could use a start of that, please. (Should I move this message to the want/bring list?)

Original Author
    13 years ago

Yeah, Polygonum! Post your philodendron request over on the other thread so we can keep it from becoming too confusing!

Thanks,
    Skybird

• Azura
    13 years ago

Thank you Angel for hosting and Skybird for organizing. I sent you a PM, Angel, with my email address. I will be bringing my son and possibly my sister as well.

Original Author
    13 years ago

Heres an update on the list I have as of now. (Angel, if you have something different, please let me know!) If Ive left somebody off, let me know so I can correct it. Ive put locations down for people who arent in the immediate Metro area, so if anybody is thinking of trying to carpool, theyll know what the possibilities are.

AngelinaGarden
    AutoDidact
    Azura
    Bekajoi (COS)
    BindweedBenders
    Cyndigo (Boulder)
    GreenBean08 (Falcon, NE of COS)
    HighAltTransplant (Sorry, Bonnie! Nobody in Silt to carpool with!)
    JCLepine
    KarengGrow (Black Forest, willing to bring others from the COS area!)
    Laura42 (Ft, Collins)
    LuckyBottom (Kersey, east of Greeley)
    MayberryGardener
    MstyWoods
    PolygonumTinctorium (near Monument Hill)
    ProvoGirl
    SerpentMoon
    Sherri09 (Boulder)
    Skybird
    TreeBarb (near Ft. Lupton)

Still not sure about these two!
    SingCharlene - Charlene ?
    Mooseling ?

Since its still 5 weeks till the swap, I suspect a few more people that have been to past swaps might be checking in here yet!

If you havent already, be sure you PM or email Angel with your email address so you can receive her address and directions shortly before the swap. And, again, be sure you INCLUDE YOUR SCREEN NAME in your email so she knows who you are!

Here, again is the list of things well need for the potluck.

~ Beverage Iced tea, something else? Maybe a few different people can bring something!
    ~ Styrofoam cups
    ~ Paper plates
    ~ Napkins Skybird
    ~ Plastic silverware Jennifer/jclepine

The things that dont have a name after them need a name after them!

Im also bringing the name tags, the sign in sheet, and numbers for the first two rounds of picking! (And can bring some tables if Angel posts that she needs some.)

Five weeks and counting,
    Skybird

• mstywoods
    13 years ago

I'll be happy to bring paper plates and something to drink!

Thanks to you both for organizing this. Looking forward to it :^)

Marj

• powermuffin
    13 years ago

I'm coming, either with my husband Charlie, or my friend. I will try to fix my preferences so that Angel can pm about directions. We live in old town Longmont.
    Diane

• tequilagirl
    13 years ago

Angel, it is really great of you to host this year.
    I am not sure if I will make it, I am scheduled to work that day, but shoud know in the next week if I can get it switched.
    I'll post again if I am a for sure.
    Lara

• lindseyinevergreen
    13 years ago

I'm very new to gardening (and to RMG), and have nothing to offer plant-wise YET... but I would like to come and learn some things, and I'll bring Thai iced tea to go with the thai food that someone else mentioned. I will try to contact Angel directly to RSVP.

• h_geist
    13 years ago

Add me to the list Skybird. Thanks, Holly

• greenshark
    13 years ago

I'm a TOTAL newbie, but really thrilled and excited about all of this. I live in Colorado Springs, and I plan to come on May 23rd, too. Thank you! (oh, and I won't have anything to bring but am excited to check it out!)
    -Shari

• buttercup_2010
    13 years ago

Skybird, thanks for letting us newbies with no garden or starts that it's ok to attend empty handed. I'll be there!

• bexay6211
    13 years ago

Hey all i haven't posted in forever mostly just been a lurker, but I would love to come to the swap, but I have to be a maybe at this point. I am waiting to have an MRI on my knee to see if i need surgery, so once i know the verdict there I'll be able to give my answer.

• gjmancini
    13 years ago

My sister and I will be attending.

• angelinagardens
    13 years ago

Swap is still on at my house - sorry for the delayed replies. If you haven't emailed me already, please do so if you're planning to attend so I can send out my address. If you don't get a "here's my address" email by tomorrow night, please contact me again. Thanks everyone!

Angel

Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi all,

Wow! I think this may be the biggest Spring Swap weve had yet! Im delighted to see so many new people signing up to come this year! Lets all keep our fingers crossed for good weather!

Angel has the "official" list, but heres the list as I have it, so if there are any additions or corrections, please let me know! Im again including locations for those not in the immediate Metro area, so if anyone wants to try to carpool, youll be able to contact others near you. If you havent already, I encourage all of you to go to your profile and enable private messaging so others can contact you about the swap if they want to. If you just enable private messaging, your email address will not be visible, and no-one will get it unless you PM them. If THEY PM you, they wont get your address unless you reply! You can also make your actual email address visible if you decide to, but you dont need to!

AngelinaGarden - Angel
    AutoDidact
    Azura (with son and possibly guest)
    Bekajoi (has a van for possible carpooling from COS)
    Bexay6211
    BindweedBenders
    ButterCup 2010
    Cyndigo (Boulder)
    GinnyTrcka
    GJMancini (and sister)
    GreenBean08 (Falcon, NE of COS)
    GreenShark (COS)
    H Geist
    HighAltTransplant - Bonnie
    JCLepine - Jennifer (Nederland)
    KarengGrow Black Forest, willing to bring others from the Colorado Springs area!
    Laura42 (Ft, Collins)
    LindsyinEvergreen (Evergreen)
    LuckyBottom (Kersey, east of Greeley)
    MayberryGardener
    MstyWoods
    PowerMuffin (+ 1 or maybe 2)
    ProvoGirl
    SerpentMoon
    Sherri09 (Boulder)
    Skybird
    TequilaGirl (Castle Rock)

So far I have 29 people on the listnot including significant others and guests! Im assuming there will be a few more before the actual swap! I repeat! WOW!

Here, again, is the list of things well need for the pot luck. We still need somebody to volunteer to bring some styrofoam cups, and I think we probably need at least a couple more people bringing something to drink with as many people as are coming. Some version of iced tea? Some kind of punch? Any other ideas?

~ Beverage
    MstyWoods
    LindseyinEvergreen - Thai iced tea
    ~ Styrofoam cups
    ~ Paper plates MstyWoods
    ~ Napkins Skybird

AND EVERYONE! THIS IS IMPORTANT! There are always a few people who miss this part!
    If you havent already done so, PM or email YOUR email address to Angel. She will NOT be going to each individuals bio page to private message anything to you! That just takes too long! So if you dont send her your email address, you will NOT get her address and directions to her house! And BE SURE you include your SCREEN NAME in your email so she knows who you are!

Less than four weeks now!
    Skybird

• kvenkat
    13 years ago

Okay, I think you can count me in. I am moving to Denver within the next 2 weeks. I think we will temporarily park ourselves in an apt in the south Denver metro. That means I won't have a yard. But I would love to get 2-3 tomato plants that I can grow in containers. My husband may come too but he might get bored and wander off, lol!

Because of moving prior to the swap I won't have much to offer except some seed packets. I am willing to bring other things, like picnic supplies and/or food/drinks. Just let me know. Can't wait to meet you all!

• eastautumn
    13 years ago

I can make it on the 23rd and Longmont works great for me! I'm really excited! I don't log on as often as I would like, and it seems like whenever I do I have just missed a swap. I will take a look at the other thread soon and post some things I can bring. As for the pot luck, I will bring freshly baked bread of some sort. Looking forward to it!

• angelinagardens
    13 years ago

Sounds like a great group - I'm amazed at how many of us there will be! If you haven't emailed me and gotten my address, please do so. My email is angel@smeat.net Please let me know if you have any questions. I can't wait to meet you all!

Angel

• treebarb Z5 Denver
    13 years ago

I will bring 4 folding chairs, styrofoam cups and a shrimp platter.
    Barb

Original Author
    13 years ago

Thirteen days till the swap!

We still need a couple more people to volunteer to bring some kind of a beverage, and with this many people we need two or three people to bring tables for the food. Also, if you dont want to sit on the ground, we need more people to bring some chairs. With 31 people planning to come, and a bunch of guests, surely there must be some people who can help with these things!

Heres the current list of whos bringing what. Please post if you can bring any of the things we still need.

~ Beverage lemonade, iced tea, something else? [Need some more names here!]
    MstyWoods
    LindseyinEvergreen - Thai iced tea
    ~ Styrofoam cups TreeBarb

~ Paper plates MstyWoods

~ Napkins Skybird

~ Ice Angel

~ Chairs: 4 treebarb
    [30 - 40 people and four chairs! We need more folks!]

~ Tables: [Need 2 or 3 people bringing tables to be sure we have enough for the food!]

If you still havent gotten the email from Angel with her address, shes posted HER address just above, so email YOUR email address to her. BE SURE to include your screen name so she knows who you are! If you dont send your email address to her, you WILL NOT get her address for the swap! (And if you sent your address already but didnt get the email from her, send it again!)

Heres the list of people who are, or hope to be coming as I have it right now! Im once again posting locations for the people whos locations I know that are out of the immediate Metro Denver area so if anyone wants to arrange to carpool, theyll know whos near them. [And I once again encourage all those who havent yet done it to ENABLE PERSONAL MESSAGING on your GW account! Aside from posting a message on the swap thread and hoping the person sees it, PMing is the only way to contact somebody should the need come up! Enabling personal messaging DOES NOT make your email address public! There are a LOT of you who still dont have PMing enabled, and there is absolutely no way to contact you should something come up!]

If youre not on the list but should be, post or post again that youre comingbut even more importantly, send Angel your email address! Im keeping an unofficial list of attendees, but I am not keeping a list of email addresses this time, so Angel is the one you need to get your email address to!

AlmondStriations - Erie
    AngelinaGarden - Angel
    AutoDidact
    Azura - (with son and possibly guest)
    Bekajoi (has a van for possible car pooling from COS)
    Bexay6211 [may not be able to come Bexay, hows your knee?]
    BindweedBenders
    ButterCup 2010
    Cyndigo (Boulder)
    GinnyTrcka (and friend)
    GJMancini (and sister)
    GreenBean08 - Amy (Falcon, NE of COS)
    GreenShark (COS)
    H Geist
    HighAltTransplant - Bonnie (Silt!)
    JCLepine - Jennifer (and significant other?) (Nederland)
    KarengGrow - (Black Forest, willing to bring others from the Colorado Springs area)
    KvenKat (and maybe husband)
    Laura42 (Ft, Collins)
    LindsyinEvergreen (Evergreen)
    LuckyBottom - (Kersey, east of Greeley)
    MayberryGardener
    MstyWoods
    PowerMuffin (+ 1 or maybe 2) (Longmont guess you dont need to carpool! ;-) )
    ProvoGirl
    SerpentMoon
    Sherri09 (Boulder)
    Skybird
    TequilaGirl (Castle Rock)

If somebody is finding this for the first time, its not too late to decide to come! As long at theres still time to send your email address to Angel and get a reply from her, its not too late! So even the day before the swap should work, but by the actual day of the swap everybody is going to be too busy to be responding to anybody!

In the past we havent done this, but Angel has said that she has a grill (two actually, one gas, one charcoal) that we can use, so if anybody wants to bring something to be grilled, that works too this time. Just be sure its something that wouldnt take too long to heat since eating is the first thing we do!

~~~ HERE, AGAIN, IS ALL THE BASIC INFORMATION! ~~~ The swap is on Sunday, May 23rd at 11:00, at Angels in Longmont! ~~ When you arrive there will be an area designated to put the plants youve brought, with a separate place to put the plants you have earmarked for someoneand, of course, there will be somewhere to put the food! \[Just a hint for those of you who have earmarked plants! Ive found it works well to write the screen name of the person on a paper bag and put the plants in the bag. If theres more than one bag for someone I just write "1 of 2" on it to be sure nothing gets missed! It makes it easy for everyone to find the ones that are for them, and its easier to carry the bags than to carry a bunch of separate pots. Small boxes would work too!\] ~~ There will be a table with a sign in sheet, and its fun to keep track of who actually showed up, so please be sure you sign in! There will also be name tags on the sign in table, so please make a name tag for yourself (and your guests) which includes your RMG screen nameso we know who you are! \[Put YOUR screen name on your guests tags tooso we know who they belong to!!!\] ~~ We start the swap with the pot luck! Your dish can be absolutely anything! Hot dishes, cold dishes, appetizers/finger foods, salads, sweetsanything you think others would enjoy! Homemade dishes, if you have time, are always good! Please bring a serving spoon if it will be needed for your dish, and also please make some provision for it to be covereda lid if its that type of dish, or plastic wrap, or whatever. One other request! I love sweets, so I definitely dont want to put too much of a damper on the dessert type things, but at a couple of the swaps we seemed to wind up with mostly sweets, so if youre trying to decide between that or something else, lean toward the something else! ~~ After eating and talking while we eatand perusing the plants that are availablewe have everybody who has plants earmarked for others make sure the plants get to the right people. This also happens to some extent during the arriving/eating/talking/perusing part! ~~~ Then we do the actual swapping! Before we start picking plants, well once again have everybody who brought plants briefly tell what they brought so everyone knows whats available to help them decide what theyd like to have. Then everyone draws a number for the first and second rounds of picking plantsthat way everyone has a pretty good chance to get the one or two things they want the most. Then we open it up to just walking around and picking out whatever anyone wantsthe free\-for\-all part! ~~ Please be sure the plants you bring are labeled one way or another! Either stick a tag in the pot, or staple a piece of paper with the name onto the pot, or just write the name of the plant on the pot with a marker or crayonat past swaps some people have made up adhesive labels with the plant name and basic information and stuck them on the potsI make up little strips of paper on the computer with the info and include one with each plant. Anything to ensure the person getting the plant will know what they have when they get home. Its easy to think youre gonna remember the names of the things you take homeand even easier to forget them by the time you do get home!!! ~~ ANDour primary RMG plant swap rule! Nobody needs to have any plants to be welcome at the swap! There are always plenty of plants to go around (I have just over 200 myself!), and we get together as much to swap gardening talk and friendship as to swap plantsso come regardless of how much you do or don't have to bring! ~~~ Please plan to thoroughly water the plants youre bringing the DAY BEFORE the swap so theyll have time to drain well enough to be easy to transport, yet be wet enough to not be wilting at the swap or while people are taking them home! One more thing! Its a really good idea to bring a box/tray or two to carry your booty back home in! If the plants youre bringing are in something, dont let anybody else snag it, and you can use that to refill with the new goodies! If there are any questions, NOW is the time to be asking them! Pray for good weatherand NO wind! See you all soon, Skybird
  • greenbean08_gw
    13 years ago

Put me down on the beverage list - I'm thinking lemonade.

• singcharlene
    13 years ago

Hi there,

I will definitely be there! Thanks for hosting, Angel. I will PM you with my email address.

We get to adopt the girls!!! All of my legal stuff is done except for the actual adoption process which is now in the works. Thanks for all the well wishes :)

Can't wait for Sunday and I will bring some type of salad to share.

Charlene

• bexay6211
    13 years ago

Looks like I will be able to make it, I got my MRI results today and I'm not happy about it but at least no surgery! I'll be coming from the springs with my husband still not allowed to drive poor boy isn't into the gardening much but he is figuring out that curb appeal matters so he doesn't mind as much!

Original Author
    13 years ago

So glad youre going to be able to make it again, Charlene! And reallyreallyreally glad you finally know for sure you get to keep your little girls! I cant imagine living with all that uncertainty for as long as you did!

And glad youll be able to make it too, Bexayeven if it is in a wheelchair or on crutches! And Im sure there will be a couple other significant others there that are "less than enthusiastic" about gardening, so your husband should be able to find somebody to hang with!

I have 31 people down on the list that plan to come, though a few of those havent posted here for a LONG time, so some plans may have changed. In addition to RMG members Im counting about a dozen "guests," but I havent been keeping very close track of that, so there easily could be more!

Ill post the updated list of whos bringing what over on the FOOD thread, since its shorter, so if you havent checked out that thread, please do!

If you dont have Angels address yet, youre running out of time! Email YOUR email address to her so she can send her street address to you!

Skybird

• Amy Larson
    13 years ago

I'm coming & bringing 2 friends (I hope)! So glad it's closer to home for me.
    Looking for succulents & cacti!

• angelinagardens
    13 years ago

I will be so glad to see everyone! Just as a reminder, the swap will be held this Sunday, May 23, at 11 a.m.

When I started plans to host the swap, I was anticipating a significantly smaller group than has now RSVP'd. I can't wait to meet everyone, but I don't think I can accomodate this many people in my little yard, so I am going to change the venue to a local park. I've made the reservation for us to have the tables at Blue Skies Park in Longmont (http://www.ci.longmont.co.us/parks/park_list/overview/blueskies.htm) We have this space for the entire day. It would still be great if people could bring folding tables/chairs to be sure that we have more than enough space to put plants, lunch, etc. Since the new venue has a $35 charge associated, I'll put out a change cup. I know many of us are driving a ways to join the group, but I think with all the many people who are attending, if we all throw in a dollar or so, we should be able to cover the costs. (I will take the cup away once we hit $35 - I'm certainly not trying to make any money!)

I hope this won't change anyone's plans to attend, but I think the extra space will be much easier for everyone. Several people have also mentioned that they will be bringing children (as will I), and now we have two playgrounds available to help entertain the little ones. Also, I have a dog and a cat, and this will allow those who have allergies to come too. (I have had a few emails about this.)

I hope that this is ok, and I look forward to seeing everyone there. I will contact all the people who have sent me email to make sure they all know. I'll post a sign on my front door, with directions, in case anyone slips through the cracks. And I am going to post this message as a new thread, just to be sure that everyone sees it.

Thanks again,
    Angel

Original Author
    13 years ago

~~~ EVERYBODY READ THIS! ~~~

Im posting this at the bottom of each thread to try to be sure as many people as possible see it!

Angel has changed the location of the swap. If you dont already know about it, go to her "IMPORTANT - location change for Sundays Spring Swap" thread and post or email if you have any questions, and Ive posted possible directions on my "Final Spring Swap 2010 Information Thread," which Ill be trying to follow today to help if anybody has questions!

Skybird

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner