Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Calculated gamble

Posted by jaliranchr z5 EC CO (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 27, 14 at 23:21

Quinoa. I've been researching this for months and it is a gamble I'm willing to take. If it doesn't work, that's another experience for willingly taking the risk at all.

High altitude -- they say 7000 ft. and I'm at 5500. Dry (check). Intense sun (check). Cool nights (check). No heat over 90 --- ouch, there's our potential killer. Yet, I'm willing to try and hope the other criteria will counter that one. If I fail, it isn't the first time and it won't be the last.

This is the black seed from the San Luis Valley, where they've been succeeding for years. Different climate than here, but, I think this is worth a shot. Am I nuts? (of course I am, but be kind, please)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Calculated gamble

Well of course you're nuts, but the way I see it, that's a requirement to be a gardener, and you're in great company around these parts!

I'll be following your experiment with much interest--I have considered trying to grow quinoa myself (see, also crazy). I wonder if there is something you can rig up to keep the plant in the shade on the hottest of sunny days? I'm thinking a lightweight PVC frame with floating row cover attached, again for only the hottest days?

o

Once, in a far away land, for the fun of it, I grew sesame. I ended up with a whole lot of sesame seeds. Not knowing what I was doing re harvesting them, quite a few fell on the ground, and the next season, boy did I have a lot of sesame 'starts'.

YMMV, as they say ;-).

o

I grew it one year, and it did fine, but wasn't clear on when to harvest, and the frost got to it before I did ...

Also, I heard somewhere that it is related to the weed called lamb's quarters. If so, that grows around here, so seems like quinoa should do well.

o

Hahahaha, thanks for the affirmation, mayberry! Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Right? They grow so many things in other parts of the country that won't grow here, kind of fun to have an advantage for a change.

Sesame, David? How fun! Even if you did have a lot of volunteers to deal with.

That's encouraging to hear you had some success with it, Bonnie! I guess I'm just seeing worst possible scenario and one of those 95+ stretches for days. Still worth the gamble, I think. And nice to know the leaves are edible as well as the seeds.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here