Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
St. Pats Sowing?!

Posted by Crab-Grass 5(denver metro) (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 7, 14 at 23:39

I have been seeing a lot of info/ folklore recommending sowing peas and onions and other "cold tolerant" veggies around st Patrick's day. Has anyone here in the Denver area ever done this with any success? Or is it too early for us with our wild weather patterns? I know certain veggies can tolerate a bit of folder weather and even a touch of frost but not sure much of anything would survive a random 3 feet of snow. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: St. Pats Sowing?!

I usually plant peas on, or close to, St Patrick's day.
If they don't make it I just replant later.
I find they do better if I can get them going before the heat hits.
I'm in Colo Spgs

o

• Posted by gjcore 5 South Aurora Co. (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 8, 14 at 13:10

Peas can be tricky here because to be productive they need to be started around St Paddy's day but we can get late freezes. Last year most of my peas died in the April cold snaps

It's important especially with clay soils that soil temps are high enough that the pea seed doesn't rot before germinating.

Snow usually isn't bad for cold weather veges because it can act as an insulator.

I started my peas in a tunnel and they seem to be doing ok.

2014 peas photo DSCN0319_zps455e267d.jpg

o

On a walk in Central Denver yesterday I saw a house with a wall of old rusty bed headboards in newly worked soil and a proud "Peas" sign staked at the end; someone has decided to go ahead. What have you got to lose?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here