Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jclepine

H. R. 875, help understanding this bill

jclepine
15 years ago

Hi all. I wonder if anyone can help me understand this bill, H. R. 875. I have been reading/skimming the text but don't really know why people are saying it will be the end to organic farming. I figure that anything Monsanto supports should be scrutinized thoroughly.

I've put a link to the text of the bill below.

Does anyone really understand all this mumbo jumboese?

Thanks,

J.

Here is a link that might be useful: HR 875 text

Comments (7)

• dafygardennut
    15 years ago

It looks like they're having problems at govtrack

They're probably panicking because of the definition of "contaminant" here. I don't really see anything of major concern, but I'm no expert and some people like instigating panic.

Here's what I get

It is separating the "food" aspect of the FDA since it currently has such a huge variety of things to regulate, and leaving them with the Drugs/Devices.

Setting up or tightening up the standards and practices that will be managed under the umbrella of the FSA (Food Safety Admin);

Establishing a registry of every company or organization that has anything to do with the production, processing, handling or storage of food so that when there is an E.coli or salmonella outbreak they can trace it;

Requiring every facility involved to anticipate potential contamination risks and have a plan set up to handle them;

Setting up a timeline of inspections based on the type of facility;

Providing for research, testing, education and training at the state and local levels, and that sort of thing;

...now my brain is hearing the Charlie Brown voices...whaah whaah whawha whaah whawha

hope it helps :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: organic consumers assoc - myth of the week

• dafygardennut
    15 years ago

Below is an interesting discussion about both sides of this issue

Jen

Here is a link that might be useful: blog

• jclepine
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Jen,

Thank you so much!!

I couldn't find the big deal in the text but it was after 11pm!

This really helps, big time!!!

with appreciation,

Jennifer

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    15 years ago

One of our local NPR affiliates in these parts had a chat with a Colo leglislator on the committee. It is clear that the intent of the bill is to do something about food safety. That something is to require better recordkeeping so post facto investigators can go back and trace and prevent further infection.

It is also clear to me reading the bill that Big Ag has had their fingers in the text and the unfortunate vague wording will cause confusion and likely extra work for the family farmer. Sadly, there looks to be little thought given for prevention, but these are the times we live in.

Over on the organic forums some poor souls over there got all out of whack, and were going to call with their vision of h-e-double-hockey sticks. Hopefully they are calm now, and my recommendations there work here as well: if calling your legislator - and you should - the provisions are unduly burdensome to family farmers if they stand. The bill needs work, but at least is a halting stumble in the proper direction.

Dan

• jclepine
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, Dan! I need all the help I can get understanding politics.

I ain't dumb, but I'm also very innocent and quickly lost when it comes to either politics or legalese.

I also tend to get riled up easily and so I do my own preventative research and question asking to avoid getting in a huff about things I don't fully understand.

Right now, I'm fully enraged about our local pines. That dang mountain beetle is causing havoc and the town is threatening to have all the pines removed, including the ones that are not infected yet. Totally freaking out!! So, I've been looking into this, too, to see if there is some miscommunication or some leakage of wrong information.

I don't blame the organic farmers for getting riled up, I think they have a good argument. But, I would like to know the facts and I think that once they settle, they will be glad to know the facts so we can all support the bill or not support it or fight it or do whatever needs to be done.

Okay, shameless plug for Global Response. Anyone who hasn't checked out this organization might give it a try. I trust their interpretation of the facts and how to respond politely with letters.

Gosh, I'm rather wordy these last two days!!

Huff, huff,

Jennifer

• david52 Zone 6
    15 years ago

If you have pine trees that are only minimally attacked, and you want to save them, you can do by spraying / drenching the trunks with the highest recommended dilution of a systemic pesticide - acephate works well. About now is a good time for the first dose. A 2nd one might be needed sometime in early Aug, - check for pin holes with fresh sap. But you don't need to spray the entire tree - just 6 - 7 feet of trunk, all around.

Having lived through the pinion die off, and now in the midst of the pine beetle stuff, and my 100 odd Scots pines.

• jclepine
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yikes!! David, the trees here belong to the landlords. So far, none are infected. But, the town as a whole is planning to remove all of the pines as they don't have the funds to properly treat/protect and selectively remove the infected or ill trees. Until I've figured how much of this is rumor and how much is fact, I'll try not to get too freaked out.

I hope your pines do well and make it!! It gets frustrating living in a town where all the old-timers and locals talk as if they know, and they usually do. But, even though a forester told us that they are going to remove every single pine, I won't believe it until I've searched and researched it all.

Thanks!

J.