Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
margaretmontana

Snow, snow, snow

margaretmontana
16 years ago

It snowed about 3 inches last night and is snowing again. I bet Digit got it also. I want to transplant! I hope it is not going to be one of those years where we hardly have a summer. A friend reminded me today that one year we had snow on the 4th of July. I remember that year because we had a lot of company and went camping and got snowed on and then said the heck with it and came back home. Last year it froze on the 24 of June and then got really hot for the rest of the summer.

Comments (9)

• michelle_co
    16 years ago

:-( Awwww, that sounds rough. No wonder you have that nice greenhouse. Sounds like you have a 70 day growing season some years? Ufff.

Cheers,
    Michelle

• david52 Zone 6
    16 years ago

Here, I plant out the frost-sensitive stuff the 1st week of June. But all of May, I collect a huge amount of grass clippings and stockpile them by the veggie garden, so when we get a forecast below freezing, I go out and make a huge heap of clippings all around the tomatoes, peppers, and eggplant. I'd say I have to do it every other year.

Then there was that one year, we got down to 17º on June 22nd, and in spite of everything I did, it all froze off, but I managed a decent harvest anyway. But that was the year the acorns froze, and the bears decided that the local 'hood was way easier to find food in than up in the hills, and a resident population is now firmly established.

• jamie_mt
    16 years ago

Nothing like a spring snowstorm to make the plant companies *ship out my rose order* right then. Yep, the roses were shipped out Saturday...and it's been cold and snowing since Sunday. Enough to put a damper on a positive spring attitude...

• digit
    16 years ago

Yep, snow here but just a skiff. The western Washington gardeners on the tomato forum were complaining about the snow over the weekend - Seattle! I was surprised to learn that it even snowed nearly 1/2 inch in Spokane Friday night but none here.

What is terribly apparent are the record low "highs!" We aren't reaching 40°F during daylight hours!

You are probably too young to remember the 4th of July I'm thinking of, Margaret. It was 1969 and that holiday weekend was very, very stormy! Honestly, we often don't get very warm weather until after the 4th. But, that weekend was quite remarkable.

digitS'

• michelle_co
    16 years ago

Remind me not to move North. Ever. I lived in Seattle for a while, that was bad enough. It's windy here, but I will just enjoy the 59°F weather and not complain, thank you very much!

Dig and M, I would spare you some sunshine, if I could.

Cheers,
    Michelle

• gardenbutt
    16 years ago

LOl,, awe come on could be worse really, we have a friend who has a B&B just out of Glacier park.He still has snow so deep he cannot see out of his first floor windows.Meaning over 7 feet.
    Myself I am in one of those odd areas, no snow. But mid 40s.Until we drive into Kalispell to the office which does have snow on the ground and about 6 degrees colder.Oh well its the usual spring in Montana been this way every since I can remember.
    Jwj

• smdmt
    16 years ago

All the snow we've gotten here has been a dusting. The snow pack in the mountains is 100+. The bad news is we haven't any rain either and the wind has been howling. Daytime temps in the 40s-50s and in the 20s at night. Trees,shrubs, perennials keep popping up though. Maybe warmer weather will come soon and the wind will stop.

• margaretmontana
    Original Author
    16 years ago

We have had snow every day this week but none has stayed in the valley since Sunday. Suppose to be a nice weekend though and then cooler again! When we lived by Essex the upstairs windows opened out so you could go out when the snow was taller than the door on the first floor! We were lucky to have 2 months of summer. That just wasn't enough. Beautiful place though. I am wanting to transplant and may try a few things next week that I can cover with row covers inside the hoop house. Still darn cold most nights.

• gardenbutt
    16 years ago

This place is up by Essex at Paola creek, when they are open they usually have ski season still going on this time of the year.
    I live in a bit more temperate area down by Lakeside, Course previously I lived up against the missions by ninepipes , I used to just run a small heater this time of the year in my hoop house, by now I used to have most of my babies pretty good sized.Also had salads green onions radishes etc harvesting from the coldframes
    I have not gotten that far here but quite often this place is more like a zone 6 so its nice
    Jwj

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012