Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
digit_gw

They send me

digit
17 years ago

I visited Dad today and 3 hyacinths were blooming outside his front door. They had just opened and, altho' it was a little windy; one could just catch their fragrance while walking past.

There's a floral fragrance that I'm waiting for that is nearly intoxicating to me - as we used to say, "It just sends me." How 'bout for you - roses, honeysuckle, sweet peas, stock - what sends you?

Can they improve your sleep, relieve pain, calm anxiety?

DigitS

Oh, you send me

Darling you send me

Darling you, you, you send me

Honest you do

Honest you do

Comments (42)

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    17 years ago

You're old!

Sweet peas and Aquilegia chrysantha!

No spring chicken either, Skybird

• spyfferoni
    17 years ago

Hmmmm.
    I love the smell of lilacs in the Spring, peonies are nice too. I wish hyacinths lasted longer! They've come and gone here. Jasmine, gardenias, roses...I could go on and on.

There is a tree in the Caribbean called Bay Rum. They make a kind of rubbing alcohol with it. The tree is related to allspice. The scent of the alcolado is kind of spicy, I can breathe it in and I swear it helps a mild headache. It is also great for ant bites. We brought 2 big bottles of it back with us the last time we went to Puerto Rico. I love the smell of that stuff.

Tyff

• emagineer
    17 years ago

Gads, how old are you? Memories of yore...Sam Cook and who else? At least I think I have this right.

The smell of wild sweet peas (memories of a child) and in the last few years Russian Sage. When living in NM a native told me that living around the sage eases muscle/joint aches. I have yet to bundle it and smoke the house...but always wondered if the smell would be a natural incense, is used for spirit rituals. My front yard is xerisacaped with close to a dozen. The bees love it too.

Tyff...Bay Rum? I didn't know that was a tree. I have loved for years the smell of it in calognes. Does the tree itself have the same aroma or flower?

• luckybottom
    17 years ago

The sweet woodruff is my scent of preference. I love the heavy musky, vanilla way it makes the whole yard smell.

Smell is the strongest memory trigger, so no wonder our minds go to old songs and times of our youth.

• billie_ladybug
    17 years ago

Tomatoe plants after rain
    Buttercups
    Easter Lilies
    Lilacs
    In that order. Buttercups and tomatoe plants, about the only thing I remember from New York.
    I had to stop in Sam's so I could smell the lilies. I planted one years ago in my mother's kitchen garden (in Az) where it lived until I moved out of state. Then no one watered it and it died. It was probably about 5 years it kept coming up.
    Lilacs, I actually had some sucess planting them in zone 9 and getting them to bloom. It did take some work though.

B

• cnetter
    17 years ago

A particular rose - Felicite Parmentier. It has the kind of fragrance you never find in modern roses.

• steviewonder
    17 years ago

Not sure about healing fragrances but I love night blooming tobacco (nicotiana). Mom had one in her yard in Connecticut.
    steviewonder

• jaliranchr
    17 years ago

Peonies are that "Calgon, take me away" scent for me.

• digit
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hey, who ya callin' old! (Maybe I have a young soul. ;o)

The King of Soul, Sam Cooke, and back when I was young and had good hearing. Feel the heat and smell the wood smoke from the stove. Thinking back on the memories, the song dimmed my sight with tears.

Tomatoes say Summer to me, Billie . . . But, we at risk of turning to things like the smell of freshly turned earth in the Spring, fresh mown hay, fresh baked bread, and buttermilk.

Does anyone recall the slightly bitter smell of California poppies, or how blue iris smell like grape soda and brown iris smell like rootbeer? Could I sprinkle dianthus in the dough of my snickerdoodle recipe? Does heaven smell like sweet peas? I want to know.

DigitS

• david52 Zone 6
    17 years ago

I'm disremembering the name. When we lived on the equator in Kenya, we had, right outside the bedroom window, an evening - night flowering white bulb that would fill the house with perfume, wonderful. We could 'force' it to bloom by withholding water for about a month or so, then it would bloom again when we watered it. I don't believe it was native to the area, and I could never identify it.

When we moved back, I found in a catalog a bulb with the same flower blossom that mentioned evening blooming and wonderful scent, and bought some, and planted it under the bedroom window. It grew for a few summers but never flowered. For the life of me, I can't remember the name of that one, and never found the name of the Kenyan one.

But, it was really something, kind of the whiff-power of a nearby skunk, except a whole lot nicer. Not bad from an inch dia little flower.

17 years ago

IÂm calling you old, Steve! And it looks like I have a lot of help!

EVERYBODY who gardens has a young soul......and a young heart and mind!

• lilacs_of_may
    17 years ago

Lilacs and lily of the valley. They bring me a sense of peace.

I can't wait till my baby lilacs are old enough to bloom.

• lindy_loo
    17 years ago

Ooh. Lilacs, especially in the morning. When I walked to the bus in the mornings I went past two houses that were just lined with lilacs. That smell just sends me every time. I love it. The other one would be honeysuckle. I just love those smells.

• stevation
    17 years ago

How about Angel's Trumpet (Brugmansia)? I have a potted one, about three feet tall, and I bring it inside for the winter. It only seems to flower when it's in the cool basement, by a sunny window, with temps around 60 degrees. It's been flowering for about three months now, and still going strong. Crazy wonderful fragrance -- more like a perfume than any flower I've ever smelled -- it has a touch of the smooth Jasmine fragrance but with a bit more spice to it. And it releases much more fragrance at night than in the day.

• bombus
    17 years ago

thanks digit! now that song is stuck in my head!
    i love mock oranges.

17 years ago

Oooooohhhhhh! Citrus! I forgot citrus trees! Lemon and orange tree blossoms go WAY beyond sending me!

Now I'm gonna have to go to a garden center just to walk around in the citrus department sniffing!

And it's your fault, (old) Digit!

• debbielaw2
    17 years ago

Russian olive does it for me it is a scent I can't get enough of. Also Sterling Roses.

• digit
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I like those Russian olives too, Debbielaw, but was worried that people might think me strange - just roll down the window as I drive by, real soon now.

Yes, the citrus trees are wonderful . . . Mock oranges  fragrant perfection but which is it . . . that cover your nose with pollen . . . syringa, yeah.

Stevation, I had to do an image search for Angel's Trumpet. Dramatic looking and I'd expect an exotic scent. Not nearly as dramatic, a stephanotis vine grew outside the door of the packing shed in the greenhouse where I worked a long time ago. I called it my Steve and Otis vine.

I'm so fortunate to have lilies of the valley at my front door. Did no one mention apple blossoms?

I'm pleased to see lilacs 7 times (& once in a name :o). A beautiful lilac grew outside my parent's bedroom window when I was a kid on the farm. Perhaps, I associate lilacs with my parents as young people.

The apple tree was on that side of the house and the rose garden beyond that. The wet grass was so cold on bare feet.

Those first few warm nights of Spring, when it was possible to sleep with an open window. And, if the air was just right, the fragrance of lilacs was carried along the house and came into my window, too.

The breeze was welcome, made me happy and it was easy to fall asleep.

DigitS'

• spyfferoni
    17 years ago

I totally remember the grape soda smell of purple iris. As kids we would purposely break them up for the smell. We'd also write our names on the cement with them. I thought of another smell---Yarrow. Kind of herby, but it reminds me of the fresh smell in the mountains.

Tyff

• singcharlene
    17 years ago

I'm a southern Calif native and every February would bring the dainty blooms of pink jasmine. When I had my first house and garden, I planted a jasmine front walkway of several varieties (pink jasmine, star jasmine, pinwheel jasmine, pikake jasmine, night blooming jasmine) and a few gardenias. They all bloomed at different times. It was heavenly. I recently bought some jasmine oil to wear as perfume.

Citrus blossoms are heavenly too and really conjure up memories for me. I used to walk to school along an orange grove when Orange County really was a county full of orange groves.

My house here in Colo. has an indoor garden that has tall mature orange trees that don't grow oranges but blossom all through the house.

I'm looking forward to growing some lilacs.

Charlene

17 years ago

Try hand polinating your orange trees, Charlene, and you might get some fruit.

• nrynes
    17 years ago

The Old Garden Rose 'Desiree Parmentier' , followed closely by a host of other roses old and new.
    Lilacs are wonderful too! As is Daphne - I'm still bummed that Daphne is too tender for my yard.

Nancy

• bombus
    17 years ago

nancy, i have a daphne 'carol mackie' in full bloom right now. they can take a fair amount of cold, but heavy wet snow can break the branches. mine is planted on the east side of my house (the most protected spot i have), in a bed of mainly sand. in winter, i ensconce it in a heap of pine needles (helps the branches support the snow and blocks the wind). i can't remember ever having any winter dieback. i've had it for about 5 years, started as a bluestone plant in a 4"pot, now it's about 20" high and 3feet wide. absolutely gorgeous and really easy to grow so far. anyhow, that's been my experience with daphne.

• LibbyLiz
    16 years ago

I also love the scent of Russian olive.

But most of all lilacs, carnations & hyacinths are a "you send me" scent! I guess I love the spiciness.

• daimonic
    16 years ago

Hands down, lavender.

Last year, I worked as a gardener/landscaper in Connecticut and was assigned the task of cutting out all of the dead lavender sprigs out of GIANT patches -- took me about 5 hours and I work fast! But that scent, seriously, every time I stood up I just felt and overwhelming calmness and serenity, and I was in such a pleasant mood for the rest of the day that my boss asked me what I'd been smoking while she was on the other side of the property, LOL!

I am unsure, but I think that lavender is an aromatherapeutic herb, and can cause relief of anxiety/stress.

• billie_ladybug
    16 years ago

I know that "back in the day" it was commonplace to put sprigs and sachets of lavender under/in a persons pillow to help them sleep. It is also a main ingredient in most bath additives and massage oils. So, yes, it is an aromatherapeutic herb. Sit back, breathe in and you can't help but to relax.

B

• digit
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yesterday was my first chance to enjoy a lilac bloom this year. They've just opened here.

I also enjoy the lavender but it doesn't seem to evoke the memories. However, you've answered the other part of that first question Daimonic and Billie, "Can they improve your sleep, relieve pain, calm anxiety?"

DigitS'

• lnmca
    16 years ago

What a heavenly thread-it's been such a pleasure to read. I love the smell of pink peonies as my mother had them in her garden when I was young. My grandmother had a gorgeous blue hydrangea bush...don't recall a smell, but just the sight of them takes me back to when I was very small. Also love the "loaded" smell of citrus blossoms and jasmine as that is what we had in our So Cal (irrigated!) desert yard when my kids were babies (actually they still are! since we just moved, but still, a very sentimental smell).
    I am absolutely LOVING my neighbors lilacs right now. I didn't realize they came in white?! They line the alleys abundantly so I have been lucky to trim a few sprigs for the indoors. Divine!
    Daimonic-what an amazing job! Seems like a very relaxing duty.

• emagineer
    16 years ago

The lilacs are full bloom now and aroma wafting through the garden. This topic makes me realize I should plant some "send me" plants with scents for bloom throughout the season.

It is odd, but lavender has always evoked a negative for me personally. I think it has something related to when I was a child and all the "grandmas" wore it, washed with it, used it in drawers.

On the up side, jasmin is my favorite scent. Next is newly mowed lawns and brushing against tomato leaves.

• LibbyLiz
    16 years ago

Alright, for whatever reason, this year the scent of Russian Olive is nauseating to me! I used to think it smelled close to baby powder, but now it's sour or bitter & quite pungent.

=(

• digit
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Libbyliz, the fragrance of Russian Olives is too strong - what you need to do is drive by with the windows down and keep moving. Having them in your yard would be tuff.

And, just what is that smell in baby powder? CanÂt just be the corn starch. And, what's that smell that they put in bubble gum?? Smells pink . . . piggy pink . . . no, wait a minute . . .

I just thought of one that I should be enjoying right now (just to drive that last idea out of your mind ;o), the fragrance of Cheerfulness daffodils. Choice double blooms of a rich creamy color with the nicest smell. I planted some over in Dad's yard years ago. They are very late-blooming; maybe I just didn't notice them the last time I was over. I'll check 'em out tomorrow.

DigitS'

• digit
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi lnmca and Everyone!

lnmca reminded me of this thread from nearly 4 years ago. I just learned how to do this so . . . please bear with me . . . and click the picture, with your speakers on:

Cheerfulness Daffodils

digitS'

• mstywoods
    13 years ago

Thank you digit for reviving this thread - it started way before I was a member, so didn't know it existed!! What a wonderful idea of thinking of, and remembering, lovely scents that 'send us'. Now when I go out tomorrow and sniff my Hyacinths, I will definitely have this song on my mind :^)

So, for me, it is hard to choose an absolute favorite. But here are a few of mine that I love: Hyacinths (the bulbs I bought last year and planted in the yard are up and blooming now. Yea!), Wisteria (we used to have a huge one in our yard a few years ago that was delightful. Hoping the one we planted here comes close some day), Lilac (we have a nice big tree/shrub in our yard that is terrific), Honeysuckle (from my Texas days. On warm summer nights, the light scent was everywhere!) and Magnolia (very heady fragrance, again from my Texas days). Oh, but my yes, tomato plants! Love that, too!! So earthy. Oh gosh, and someone said Easter Lilies - yes, that's a wonderful one as well.

Plants and flowers are such amazing things :^)

Marj

• digit
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes Marj, the fragrances of the growing season!

As for me at the moment, I got nuthin'. Well, that isn't entirely true - there may be absolutely nuthin' blooming and my tomato plants are too small to have a fragrance . . . but, I was out pruning the peach tree today and . . . I just caught a scent of fruit wood!

The wood of the wild Klamath plum beside the large veggie garden has the most amazing, fruity, resinous fragrance! I really should do some pruning on that tree this year - I mean, wild or not, I'd probably be doing it a favor!

S'

• luvsdirt
    13 years ago

What a great thread!!

sticking your nose in hyacinths and lilacs...ummmmmmmmmmm

sweet peas, iris and sweet alyssum...........ummmmmmmmmm

a wonderful sunny day in the yard with fresh cut grass, dirt under your nails and a glass of ice tea...priceless

• msplankton
    13 years ago

my star magnolia started to open yesterday, so i climbed the slope to breathe in pure heaven. keep saying i will transplant it next to the back door just to get a little more whiffs in! i'm brand new, and really appreciate these forums.

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    13 years ago

I'm convinced I had an easy time of it with the landscape business because I'd ask folks what scents they remember from childhood, and I'd try to recreate that in their yard. And I'd bring in some birdies too.

Dan

• kareng_grow
    13 years ago

Lilacs in the Spring, hands down for me! I also can't get enough of the smell of the flowers from a Mother-in-laws tongue. I have one in my entryway that blooms every August and I just can't get enough of the smell though it only lasts for a week or so. It's a mild honeysuckle smell that's just sensational!

• digit
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Posted by msplankton . . . i'm brand new . . .

Welcome to RMG!

Posted by kareng_grow . . . I also can't get enough of the smell of the flowers from a Mother-in-laws tongue. . .

. . . those things bloom? Had one in the living room for the longest time. Then, DW got tired of it sitting there and doing nothing; so, she gave it away!

S'

• kareng_grow
    13 years ago

Here's a couple of photos of my Mother in laws tongue in bloom...
    file:///home/karen/Desktop/img_2787.jpg
    file:///home/karen/Desktop/img_2789.jpg

• kareng_grow
    13 years ago

OOPS...I'm not sure how to post this photo maybe this will work...http://www.flickr.com/photos/52813351@N05/5543904353/ I forgot I had to download it to Flicker first...

• digit
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes that worked, Karen.

It seems like I've seen those - or, they are as I'd imagine them . . .

You can always use the GardenWeb "Optional Link URL" to link a picture or anything. That box doesn't always show up when I am typing your message but it does when I click the "Preview Message" button. Then, a link can be added that way.

GW also has a gallery. I remember using it once . . .

s'