Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stevation

What does your nickname/screen name mean?

stevation
17 years ago

Skybird was asking how I got the name Stevation, and I'm curious about some of your nicknames, too. So here's a chance to explain them to everyone!

I got the name Stevation from a college roommate who had spent some time living in Argentina. He said that whenever Argentines wanted to sound American, they would put an "ation" on the end of random words. So, one day, he just came up with Stevation, and it stuck! I've always liked the nickname, although I used to be really skinny and some of my college friends thought it was a reference to starvation!

OK, now it's your turn -- what does your screen name mean?

Comments (31)

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    17 years ago

Thanks, Stevation!

Mine is pretty simple and transparent! I'm a flight attendant! And I also LOVE the book Jonathan Livingston Seagull, and the soundtrack from the movie by Neil Diamond---especially the song "Skybird."

• emagineer
    17 years ago

Emagineer has been mine for 15yrs, up until a couple of years ago it was not used much. Now I have to add tags on the end to get my spot. There is even a company by that name now. And even though I may seem new to you, have been on GW for 5 years.

My husband had a business meeting with Disney once and couldn't wait to tell me about it and that I was the one who should have been there. He was with Disney's "Imagineers" that designed all the rides and park attractions. Everything was in working miniature and included all from the beginning to present.

So, I took my name from them, but changed it a bit so not to steal the real.

Taught computer graphics for years (engineering applications). But am an artist at heart, using my hands to create, dig in the dirt, see the beyond. Call myself the analytical artist which gets me in trouble more than necessary as it can become a balancing act. I process too much information when doing something and can get easily diverted from the creative.

• digit
    17 years ago

I was just thinking thumbs and fingers . . .

I'd also recently been reading a little book by a priest whose name I can't even recall at the moment (didn't think too much of the book ;o) but the notion seemed to be such a wonderful one: God's fingers are life-giving.

So I want to be life-giving. Just a little example, water is so important to plant life here. If I can control its timing a little better, help the soil retain it a little longer - I'll be a life-giving force right here, right now.

But as long as I can remember I've just been "Steve."
    O viriditas digiti Dei in qua Deus constituit plantationem, que in excelso resplendet

• david52 Zone 6
    17 years ago

Mine is because my name is David, and I am followed everywhere by a 52 piece kazoo band, which I like to refer to as my 'entourage', which sounds really sophisticated.

They are currently playing "We're Off to See the Wizard"

• jaliranchr
    17 years ago

A friend of mine from Maine suggested my nick since we do ranch. She looked at the wrapper on her candy and saw it was from Colorado. I told her sure was and if you drove by the Jolly Rancher factory and got stuck at the stop light your saliva glands were in trouble. The smells of cherry, cinnamon, green apple, etc. wafting through the air could make your mouth water before the light changed to green. I just messed with the spelling so as to avoid copyright and trademark issues. Now the factory is gone, but I can still smell that part of town in my mind.

Shelley

• plantladyco
    17 years ago

When I retired from nursing I became a "plantlady"....taking care of plants in offices and homes.
    The co is Colorado, of course.

• highalttransplant
    17 years ago

When I moved to Colorado from west Tennessee, I was in climate shock, which led me to the Gardenweb site to learn how to actually get something to grow here, therefore I am a HIGHALTTRANSPLANT. I learned that it's not that things won't grow here, just not the SAME things that would grow there. Not only have I learned an enormous amount from everyone on these forums, but it is so nice to be around others that understand and support my gardening addiction. Can't say THAT about most other addictions, LOL!

• singcharlene
    17 years ago

I love to hear why everyone chose their names.

Singcharlene...Well my name is Charlene and and I like to sing (it somewhat rhymes). That's the short version.

The long version is...it used to be my passion to "make it" big with singing. I never made it big but made my living at it through much of my 20's and got to tour Europe, U.S. and Canada. Had it not been for music those are opportunities I don't think I would have gotten to do at a young age as we didn't have much money growing up. I did some voice over singing work (remember that show "Saved by the Bell"? Any singing you've heard may be myself or a friend of mine).

Now I just consider it my art and a way to express myself. My husband is my guitar player and we've co-written two albums. The last album was voted "Best Folk" by the Orange County Music Awards in Calif (although I don't consider our genre folk at all more folk-pop-rock). We didn't win but the nomination and press helped open some doors while we fulfilled a dream of traveling and performing across the U.S. in an RV 2005 before settling in Colorado near family. We did a remake of a song called "Border Radio" that gets regular Itunes downloads and some college radio play. The title of my first album is "Blossom" with a print of a red rose as the cover to tie in my love of gardening with music.

I would like to record another album someday. My dream would be to do it in Nashville. My son plays the accordion and took a first place trophy home the Rocky Mountain Accordion Society Youth Competition last summer. All those days of making him practice!

Gardening is rivaling my singing these days. It truly is an art! I so appreciate everyone on these forums for sharing their knowledge and passion!

Charlene

• lindy_loo
    17 years ago

My first name is Linda, but I go by me middle name. When my brother-in-law found out what my first name was he picked up on it and switched it to Lindy and then Lindy Loo. He was referring to the Grinch and "little Cindy Loo who was no more than two." I am short so he changed it to "little Lindy Loo who is no more than two (feet tall)." The nickname has stuck with my inlaws ever since.

I also chose it because my other usual screen name was already taken in several different ways.

• daimonic
    17 years ago

dai·mon·ic, also dae·mon·ic (dî-mòn´îk) adjective, noun.

1. The unrest that exists in us all which forces us into the unknown, leading to self-destruction and/or self-discovery.
    2. The journey and transition from innocence to experience.
    3. The place where light and dark meet.
      ----------------------
      "The daimonic is any natural function which has the power to take over the whole person.... The daimonic refers to the power of nature rather than the superego, and is beyond good and evil. Nor is it man's 'recall to himself' as Heidegger and later Fromm have argued, for its source lies in those realms where the self is rooted in natural forces which go beyond the self and are felt as the grasp of fate upon us. The daimonic arises from the ground of being rather than the self as such."

Here is a link that might be useful: Wiki blurb on the Daimonic

• lilacs_of_may
    17 years ago

Mine's pretty simple. Lilacs are my favorite flower, and they bloom in May. When I was a kid, there used to be lilac bushes under my bedroom window, and the scent would waft up and into my room. Heavenly.

I bought a house a year ago yesterday, and I've planted a line of lilacs by my back fence. Partly because I love lilacs and partly because a week after I moved in they built a row of duplexes five feet away from my fence on the greenbelt that's been there forever. Definitely need a privacy fence. There is NO privacy here anymore.

Unfortunately, all of my lilacs are babies, and it'll be years before they bloom.

• luckybottom
    17 years ago

Well, we use to have a stallion whose sires, sire was a horse named Lucky Bottom 46. It was amazing to me how hard it really was to come up with something that I could remember and was not already taken (got my first computer in 2004). I have a rather small brain for creativity and I am over 50 so memory is not my strong suit either.

• billie_ladybug
    17 years ago

I too had an issue that my normal "handle" was taken and I needed something I could easily remember as I have so many passwords and codes. Mine is a nickname from school, which is a cross of my real name Belinda Lee, and my favorite insect. Simple enough to remember and if I forget, I just check my earings.

B

• Azura
    17 years ago

Azura is a name I took from azure which is my favorite color of flower. :)

• meershaum
    17 years ago

Hello skybird, you may be sorry that you asked, but here it is. A meershaum could look like a meerkat, but mine doesn't. I do have a kat, but he is just a ordinary alley-cat. For your info, meershaum is a German word that tranlates to "sea foam". What does that have to do with my screen name?... Nothing. Meershaum is also a fossilized, pure white mineral found in clay deposits in Turkey. The unique properties of meershaum make for exceptionaly fine smoking pipes. - I'm sure you have, at one time or another, seen those ornately carved white pipes with the amber stems.
    I hope that answers your question about meershaum. So why is my screen name meershaum?... Some years ago, I needed a unique user name for something or another, can't remember what. I tried a few names, and they came back "already taken", while I was trying to think of some other word to use, I took the time to relight my pipe, and lo and behold, there at the end of my nose, was my Meershaum. That worked and I have used it ever since. Fairly unique, and easy to remember.

• ion_source_guy
    17 years ago

My engineering job involves supporting a piece of equipment called an Ion Source, which creates an Ion beam. Such a beam might be used for producing optics, or for micro-electronics production.

I use this web name for some other stuff, and figured it would not be likely anyone else is using it, and would be unique for this forum.
    Bruce

17 years ago

Meershaum, I think IÂll always think meerkat when I see your name, but thanks for the explanation! But it DOES have something to do with your garden! I have a perennial you absolutely MUST get! Have you ever heard of Artemisia versicolor ÂSea FoamÂ? The name describes it perfectly! ItÂs all swirly-foamy looking! And itÂs one of the few artemisiaÂs that donÂt spread all over the placeÂand is only about 18" high. So itÂs time to go out and get yourself a meershaum to plant in your garden, Meershaum!

And, Bruce, are you sure you donÂt work on the Starship Enterprise? ;-) Welcome to RMG! IÂm compiling a list of the folks who post around here, and if youÂd like to be on it, go to the "Need info for list reposting" thread and let us know where youÂre located.

Skybird

Here is a link that might be useful:

• karlajr
    16 years ago

Mine has to be the most unimaginative name of all..... Karla is my first name. The "J" is the first letter of my middle name and the "R" is the first letter of my ex-husband's last name. I was still married at the time of choosing my "screen name" and have used it ever since. I too needed to go with something that would be easy for me to remember. Boring, eh? :)

• naninhi
    16 years ago

Good Morning...mine is pretty easy NaninHI as in "Nan in Hawaii"...doesn't work now as I live in Oregon...but guess I have to keep it :) N

• wishccr
    16 years ago

Wow! What fun to hear everyone's explantions! Very cool.

My nickname is a "login" name I have been using since college (so I've been dragging it around a long time.) The "wish" comes from my maiden name, "Wishard" (Scotch-Irish), and the ccr from my favorite band all those many years ago, "Creedence Clearwater Revival".

• yago
    16 years ago

A few years ago I was playing Tiger Wood '03 golf on my Xbox (yes, I'm a bit of a gaming nut). It has a lot of music incorporated into the game. Well, one particular song kept singing "Y"all gonna make me lose my mind, up in here, up in here". I couldn't figure out what they were saying. Sounded like "Yago make me lose my mind". Like an idiot I asked "what in the world is this Yago"? Well after my fiancé laughed at me it just sort of stuck as a computer/game name.

~Yago

• gindeejao
    16 years ago

"Gin dee jao" means "eat well" in northern Thai. It's used instead of "goodbye."

• jchaber
    16 years ago

Well, I just have to resurrect this post...

My screen name was forgotten, so when I rejoined, I used my married initials, first, middle and last name. I'd like to switch to my maiden/current initials, jclepine, but I figure it really isn't that big of a deal.

Am I being a smarty-pants if I say that I know what meershaum means? Even if I can't spell it? When I was little I was very in to reference materials (nerd!) and looked everything up at the library. Sea Foam Green was my favourite crayon colour, so I looked that up until I figured out the connection to the pipes. I couldn't figure out, though, how they made a pipe out of sea foam!!

Oh, and I was sure it was Dig It, not Digit...oh well!!

I sure enjoyed reading these...

Jennifer Camille

• stevation
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Jennifer,

Why keep a last name that isn't yours anymore? I'm sure it's irritating. We'll all figure it out if you change to jclepine. Or whatever else you want to be called. And Lepine is certainly a cool last name for a gardener!

Steve

16 years ago

Well, I think your name should be "Cutespecks!" Then you'd really have people wondering where your screen name came from!

:-)
    Skybird

P.S. I always thought your last name was Chaber! Oops!

• catladysgarden
    16 years ago

Mine is pretty obvious.

• finn21
    16 years ago

My alias is actually my dog's name (Finn). However, there was already another Finn registered on this site so I added the 21, which is my current number on my hockey team. I chose to wear and use #21 in honor of my favorite hockey player - Peter Forsberg.

• tunnymowg
    16 years ago

Finn is such a cute name for a dog! =D

We have three cats (our "fur children")...and two of them are Maine Coons named Mowgli and Tunny (which is short for Tundra). After I made the screen name, we adopted the third, a psycho-but-lovable fluffy black cat that I named Gracie.

• digit
    16 years ago

I've gotta say that I'm curious about one - BPGreen. As in a name "B. P. Green" . . . or "be pea green?"

Neeevermind . . .

Steve's digits
    weren't me, no sir, just the digits

16 years ago

Been Planting Green
    Been Peein Green
    BiPartisan Green
    BoPeep Green
    Berry Pretty Green
    Beautiful Placid Green
    Best Pretty Green
    Beaten Purple & Green
    Brilliant Peasoup Green
    Beautiful Prairie Green

Ok! ThereÂs a couple I canÂt post here! DonÂt wanna get banned!

IÂm betting on initials!

Skybird

• bpgreen
    16 years ago

Skybird's right--initials.