Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Garlic ?'s

Posted by nappingking none (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 26, 11 at 2:41

Hello Fellow Gardeners!
My fall planting of garlic is up and looking quasi happy...kind of yellow leaves. I scratched in some blood meal and organic fertilizer...any more suggestions? It has been a wet spring here. First time growing garlic and would like some advice for sheridan,wy garlic growing. I did water it with some humic acid and some mycoriazal fungus as well. Look forward to some experienced advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Garlic ?'s

• Posted by gjcore 5 South Aurora Co. (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 26, 11 at 18:35

Yellow leaves in most plants often indicate a shortage a nitrogen but there could be other reasons. It sounds like you've done the right thing with the fertilizer.

o

I use a liquid organic 12-6-6 to supplement blood meal.

Dan

o

A shot of nitrogen about this time of year, maybe repeated in late May, does wonders for bulb size further down the road.

o

IME when you plant cloves, there should be a ribbon of blood meal ~2-3" away ~3-4" below surface, in addition to your amendment of compost or manure or whatever. I then give 2-3 shots of liquid N starting mid-Mar or so depending on soil temp. In our garden garlic is the most important crop, and fortunately it has few needs, but specific needs. Meet those and you are golden.

Dan

o

Garlic is easy to grow. If your soil is good and fertile it doesn't require much more. I sometimes give mine a side dress in the spring and sometimes I don't. I have nice big bulbs. My soil tests extremely high in N-P-K from all the manure,leaves and mulch I work in every fall. The main thing I have to add here in our alkaline soil is sulfur in some form. I've added it various forms. All work some faster than others. Like Dan said a shot of N won't hurt them. I will usually see the light pale leaves some in the early spring. It doesn't worry me. When the soil and temps warm up they go away. A lot of the problems early on is plants don't uptake minerals and nutrients in some form during cooler weather and soil temps. You can supply a form they will uptake like you have done and others have suggested. Or wait a month and they will probably look fine. Anyway that has been my experience here in my garden. I only plant around 2-3 hundred cloves a year so not a big grower like several are. Jay

o

So its my first year growing 'Music'. I was out today checking everything. Wow. The tops are huge and a nice green. Can't wait to get some scapes for pesto, and then to harvest.

Dan

o

• Posted by gjcore 5 South Aurora Co. (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 28, 11 at 15:04

My garlic is looking decent for this time of year too.

Photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here