Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenbean08_gw

Seed Sale (buy one get one)

greenbean08_gw
13 years ago

Just FYI, Home Depot has seeds, buy one get one free this weekend (ends 4/11).

Comments (6)

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    13 years ago

Oooh! Thank you . I was debating whether to go, now I will.

Dan

• windwhipped
    13 years ago

Yes, Home Depot has a lot of good garden stuff on sale thru this weekend. And for those of you who have a Menards, their seeds are 40% off and they have a basic little composter on sale for about $28 (for those of us who don't have room for much more). And, of course, at both places the plants are starting to come in....ah, temptation.

• conace55
    13 years ago

Is there still time to plant annual seeds to fill containers or is it too late? I hate paying even the big box prices for "annual" beauty.

Dan, I'm in your general vicinity....

Connie

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    13 years ago

I went to HD today, not impressed. Just a relative few vars of veggies, none I needed, and one small display of annual fls and one of perennial fls. Small display of maybe 6 ft width, two sides.

Eh.

Getting late to start annuals, but a sliver of time still available.

Dan

• highalttransplant
    13 years ago

Greenbean, you enabler! Good thing there's no Home Depot around here.

Connie, I don't think it's too late to start annuals at all. April is when I sow marigolds, nasturtiums, portulaca, sunflowers, strawflowers, and zinnias. I use the wintersowing technique, and just provide extra ventilation and more shade, plus check frequently for watering needs. Since none of these are frost tolerant, sowing them earlier is too risky, unless you wanted to start them indoors.

They might not bloom as early as store bought plants, but they are hardier. When store bought petunias have fizzled out in the heat of the summer, my wintersown ones are still going strong, all the way until the first frost.

Bonnie

• greenbean08_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Did I mention that I did not NEED any more seeds (and I'm not sure how many I bought...) but I think I found the NICE Home Depot today. They had a good seed selection (I didn't look at the plants though) including some that I think are more unusual varieties (including Armenian Yard Long cucumbers and Long Beans (Zi 28-2) from a "Taste of Asia" line. There were salespeople all over the store just waiting to help someone (I was helped by 3 friendly people during my visit) and when I went to the "self check-out" the lady OFFERED to check me out at her register.

I'm absolutely serious (in case anyone wondered).

Too bad Monument is a little far away to make that my always-shop-at store (but if I conveniently plan a trip to take the dogs to Fox Run Park for a walk and a swim (swimming is worth traveling for, I have one with bad hips & knees who loves the water) maybe I can justify it...

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists