Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
colokid

Frost on Sat?

colokid
12 years ago

I see the TV says the temp on Sat. will be 30 degrees.

Sure glad I have the little electric heater going in my 6 by 8 green house. I have about 50 tomatoes is it now and another 30 to go into it. That's why I built one.

Comments (26)

• treebarb Z5 Denver
    12 years ago

Hey Kenny! I'm glad to hear you have your greenhouse up and going.
    My toms are taking up all available space in the kitchen and living room windows. I envy you your greenhouse!
    We had thick frost on the car windshields Tuesday morning, I don't think the weather sites predicted that. They did predict 26 dg for our area last night but I don't think it got that low. The lettuce didn't seem to mind, but I like to cover it with an old flannel sheet if it's supposed to be much below freezing.
    I appreciate the heads up. Enjoy not having to haul plants!
    Barb

• cnetter
    12 years ago

Having been bitten many times in the past, I don't plan on freezes being entirely over until the end of May. And even then, it can be a bit iffy (snow in early June once).

Which is why I love my cold frames. They're pretty good sized at 4x8. The toms and peppers have been in them for about three weeks now. I just moved my broccoli and cabbage out of them onto the back porch to harden off a bit before planting.

I've often thought about getting a green house. It may become a reality in the next couple of years.

• david52 Zone 6
    12 years ago

We're looking at the low 20's again, several nights this coming week.

• jeremywildcat
    12 years ago

Looks like a low of 31 predicted for me here in 80211 - glad my tomatoes are all under Walls O Water! Thinking this will be the last freeze for me, so I'm going to turn my sprinklers on, likely Monday.

• highalttransplant
    12 years ago

We've had frost the last two nights, and there's another freeze watch tomorrow night. I haven't put anything tender out yet, so no worries there. Just worried about the fruit trees.

• dsieber
    12 years ago

You believe weather forcasts!!! Assume the worst!!!!

• digit
    12 years ago

Posted by cnetter
    Having been bitten many times . . .

Who dat!?!!

Froze 7 mornings on each of the 7 days last week. Suppose to freeze tonight. Oh! Well, anyway . . .

KennyP, I once had a little greenhouse with a little electric heater. Door froze shut so tight I couldn't get into it! I could see the interior, heater running . . . Plants were fine.

Steve

• gjcore
    12 years ago

If we got one of those June snow storms there would be a lot of gardeners scrambling. My memory is that the last June snow was about 18-20 years ago in the Denver area.

• david52 Zone 6
    12 years ago

I grew onions/leeks from seed this year. Normally, I'd have set the plants out in the garden a couple weeks ago, but only yesterday, trimmed the tops and took the containers outside the greenhouse, up against the western wall, to harden up a bit, and was planning on planting them them this weekend.

So this morning, we have a red flag warning, a high wind warning, and a freeze warning, and temps down in the teens for several days this coming week.

I think i'll move them back inside.

My DD has a middle school track meet Saturday in Pagosa Springs, the bus leaving at 6 am. Its a solid 2 1/2 hour drive from here. Following the track meet, she has a soccer game, starting at 4 pm. For those of you unfamiliar with youth spring sports in the Rocky Mountains, from the parental point of view, this season is, well, "challenging", and one searches for words to describe the fan perspective of a middle school track meet.

Strong wind blowing, often very dusty, 40 degree temps, wet ground, spitting rain/snow. Check.

Cold aluminum stadium seats? Check.

Only available food is fund-raising concessions, aimed at middle schooler disposable income, which consists of neon-colored fat and sugar combos? check.

The worst of it? "Well organized" they are not. Meets theoretically start at 9:00 am. So about 9:30, we have first call for boys long jump. Around ten, that starts. Then we have first call for girls long jump. Discus and shotput do the same. Hours and hours. And so, around 11:30 - 12, they get around to doing the actual track events. After each heat, the judge (singular) wanders, very slowly, over to each runner and asks their name, and makes sure they have the right time, and says something nice, and then wanders over to the next runner, and repeats, and does this for all 8 lanes. Every heat. Is that Sally Smith with an "I", or Smythe, with a Y and E? They verify every time, and its 20 minutes a heat.

So DD does the long jump, which is one of the first events, then the 100 m, which usually follows within 90 minutes. Then we have a 'lull' of a few hours, then the 200, and then, next to last event, the 4 x 100 relay. So its sorta sit around for hours, then 15 seconds of watching your kid, then sit around for another few hours, with no rapid escape possible.

Sorry to rant, and a tip of the hat to the coaches who do this every weekend for the season. Back to gardening.

• cnetter
    12 years ago

gjcore said:
    If we got one of those June snow storms there would be a lot of gardeners scrambling. My memory is that the last June snow was about 18-20 years ago in the Denver area.
    -----------------------
    That could be right. It was quite a while ago but I don't remember exactly when. I'll definitely be one of those scrambling gardeners since I hope to get my tomatoes out by memorial day. But I've got the tom and pepper beds set up with poly pipe hoops over it so I can pull a tarp over them.

*Sigh*
    It's supposed to be cold and miserable this weekend and I have to be outside both days, playing music.

The plums, apples and cherries are all blooming so I hope it really doesn't get a cold as predicted.

digit said:

Posted by cnetter
    Having been bitten many times . . .

Who dat!?!!
    ----------------------------------
    Some old broad who is sitting here, procrastinating going outside and getting sore again. ;-)

• highalttransplant
    12 years ago

Thanks for the heads up, David! My son is in soccer, so tonight is the fourth evening in a row, of sitting out in the wind, cold, rain, etc., but at least the game is only an hour, then it's over. We start the baseball season next, but the weather should improve by then. I'll have to remember to discourage the kids from signing up for track, LOL!

• gjcore
    12 years ago

I couldn't find information on the last June snow in Denver but according to The National Weather Service the latest snow in Denver on record was June 12, 1947 and the latest date of last freeze was June 8, 2007

• dsieber
    12 years ago

When I moved here 5 years ago I heard either an urban myth/trivia that August is the only month which has NOT had snow in Denver. (I have seen snow up on Grand Mesa in July but that is high up) Anybody heard that before and know if it is true????

• digit
    12 years ago

Cnetter, I am just as pleased as punch to see you back.

You bring a great measure of gardening knowledge to the forum and just a whole lot more than that.

Steve

• highalttransplant
    12 years ago

Yes, welcome back, Cnetter! So what type of music/instrument do you play? DH and I played guitars and sang at an outdoor Christmas festival the year before last, and learned that guitars won't stay in tune when it's 20ú outside, and it's hard to play when you can't feel your fingers.

Speaking of not feeling your fingers (or toes), I'll continue David's rant about spring sports. Rained pretty much all afternoon, and not only did they not cancel the U8 (kindergarten and 1st grade) soccer game, they ignored the fact that it changed over to snow right before game time, started late and ran 20 minutes over, on a field that has no lights!

I'm too cold and tired to go back out and try to cover the fruit trees tonight. I'll just have to hope for the best.

Bonnie

• gjcore
    12 years ago

I'm thinking of trying to protect the apple blossoms tonight. I'll be putting up Christmas lights and then try to figure out a method of covering it. I have some row covers and a large roll of plastic. Oh what fun on Saturday morning all well it may be more fun than a track meet.

• cnetter
    12 years ago

It didn't get nearly as cold this past weekend as I thought it would. Maybe I'll get plums this year after all.

Bonny, I play guitar too, but this time I played a non-string instrument that is considered by many to be an embarrassment to admit to but it's good and loud without amplification. My fingers went numb. There was a really nice little festival type event at Harlequin gardens in Boulder this past weekend and I played at that. I also bought a couple of unusual sempervivum and my friend bought Arp rosemary which seems to make it through the winter here better than other rosemary.

• colokid
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Monday morning here. I missed frost both nights. Was 34 degrees boyh Sat and Sun. night. Heater in green house kept it 42,where I have it set.
    Kenny

• dsieber
    12 years ago

In Lakewood I can safely say the weekend was the worst weekend for Winter/Spring of 2010,2011!!! (I am including the subzero but sunny days in Dec). Between the wind gusts and prec. you could not go out for longer than 1hr without knowing what you would get.

• highalttransplant
    12 years ago

Hmmm, Cnetter ... are we talking about an accordian here?

We have had 5 days of frost this past week, and so far the fruit trees seem okay. All of the Lilium 'Red Dutch' are total mush now though, which surprises me since all of my other lilies seem unfazed.

• colokid
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Tuesday morning, you just can't trust Colorado weather. I got 30 degrees here here in La Salle. Greeley airport is at 27.
    I think this is the latest spring I have ever seen. Cold ground temp. Not to do with the last frost though. We all ways get one in middle May to wipe out the tomatoes.

• kareng_grow
    12 years ago

My son figure skates in cold rinks all year round at least 5 days a week...some days it's definitely colder than others but always come equipped with ski jacket, gloves and a blanket. Ya get used to it I guess....

Started the tomatoes inside several weeks ago and they're definitely ready to go in the ground but will wait a couple of more days since I have frost on my spinach this morning. I'm at 7300 ft. in Black Forest. I have the black plastic down on the beds to heat the soil up and will fill up the WOWs to put around them when I do put them in on probably Thursday. May put an additional hoop cover over them as well...

Started my peas a few weeks ago inside too and they're crawling all over my table in the South facing entryway where I start seeds. Will probably stick them in the ground tomorrow. Slightly concerned about not hardening them off first but they're taking over ;)

The peppers will just have to wait to go outside. They're going out in the greenhouse today with the heater on. I hope I don't have to run the heater too long this Spring though. It gets expensive. Thinking about filling up some 5 gal. buckets with water for additional, natural heat.

Karen

• dsieber
    12 years ago

kareng_grow You transplant peas I did not know you could do that?

• kareng_grow
    12 years ago

Yup. gives me 3 to 4 wks. on the growing season...

• dsieber
    12 years ago

Yeah I probably had almost senior moment. Do you use those Peat pea posts so you don't disturb the roots?

• kareng_grow
    12 years ago

Exactly! They still need to go out sooner than I probably did so we'll see...the wind was pretty strong too.