Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lnmca

Iris question

lnmca
13 years ago

Hello all,

I've been familiarizing myself with our new yard lately...this is our first spring here.

I have been frantically (or frenetically or both) spring cleaning, clearing away dead growth from perennials, scraping away the old (very old) cedar bark mulch, adding fresh mulch, and adding some compost (I found a way to get the stuff from Timberline after all! seems to be great quality and so much cheaper, Thanks ;) ) and wondered about how to handle an Iris bed.

Let me know if this is a mistake. I cleared away the spent growth and as I was doing this the very light and sometimes non-existent layer of mulch would scrape away. I could see the bulbs at or above soil level most of the time. So I went ahead and cleared away all of the mulch and added about an inch or so of compost overtop of the whole bed.

Does anyone think this will burn the bulbs? The compost has been aged so I don't think that will be a problem. However I have heard that Iris like poor soils. Should I put mulch back on top or will that be too much coverage for the bulbs?

Thanks for any help you can give and sorry for the rambling nature of this message. It's early!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County