Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
carrot variety

Posted by markmahlum (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 27, 10 at 9:21

What is a good salad variety of carrot? Something short and blunt without the wrinkles and of course, flavorful. Short season would help, too (7400' here).

Mark

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: carrot variety

I'm not a carrot fan but the rest of the fam is, and the 7-y.o. loves 'Short 'n' Sweet' & will go out in the garden and take her own carrot and that's the var. she usually pulls. That or smaller 'Purple Haze', which is in the ground and sprouted now. Packet sez 68 days, & I'll stagger ~ 3 weeks to keep them going.

Dan

o

I like Nelson Nantes, Mark. DW thinks a carrot should be longer, her hands are a lot smaller than mine and I don't usually shave off too much skin with the peeler . . .

Trying to keep her happy, I order seed for the longer varieties each year but Nelson has been around in my garden for many years. It seems to be just a step more consistent than Nantes Half-longs - another good choice.

And yes, Skybird, I'm finally trying Royal Chantenay again after nearly 40 years. Maybe they won't split quite as easily as the Sugarsnacks. (I've also learned that fertilizing within 40 days of harvest is considered risky behavior by some who have more expertise than I do.)

Steve

o

We have the 'Nelson' as well and they keep well and quite a bit longer in length than 'Short 'n' Sweet', and when we give some away everyone seems to like them. So, we grow 'Nelson' (65 days) , 'Short 'n' Sweet' (68 days) and 'Purple Haze' (70 days), and take all the weather that can be dished out, keep well, and get eaten. 'PH' the largest, 'SS' smallest and shortest season.

Again, I'm not a carrot fan so I can only go on what the fam and friends eat and say.

Dan

o

Thanks,

I'm going to try Nelson and Short n' Sweet. Given the storm that's predicted, I might have to plant them with a snow shovel.

Mark

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here