Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
fruit trees

Posted by mstywoods 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 25, 10 at 9:39

I've never planted fruit trees before, and don't know a lot about their requirements. I've heard that some trees require another in order to pollinate. We bought a peach, pear and apple tree from Home Depot a few weeks back. I asked the guy there if I needed two of the same type of tree for any of these, and he said he thought all you needed was just any other type of fruit tree, but not necessarily the same type of fruit. I wasn't so sure he knew exactly what he was talking about, and he admitted he only had some training in gardening, but I went ahead and bought the three different types of fruit.

Will this work, or do I need another of the same fruit for any of these trees? I now have a BOGO offer from Home Depot, so I can pick up another one or two if I need it!

Thanks!!

Marj

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: fruit trees

Quite a few fruit trees are self-pollinated, which means you're ok, but others are not - Google "fruit tree pollination chart" and the first one up is a .pdf that gives an idea of what works and what doesn't. Or google up the specific variety of tree you bought and the word pollinator.

But generally, an apple needs another variety of apple, a cherry another type of cherry.

o

You may well be OK. Apples fruit better with other trees around, but decorative crabapples can pollinize fruit apples. Pears can be self-pollinizing, depending on the variety, and most peaches are. Pears can have a hard time attracting bees, so you may want to have something else in bloom nearby to draw them in.

Here's a link to CSU's page on fruit tree pollination. Also, if you search the site for "fruit trees", you'll pull up a bunch of useful pages. You may also want to read up on fire blight, a problem on the front range (if that's where you are).

Ian

Here is a link that might be useful: CSU pollination page

o

• Posted by skybird z5, Denver, CO (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 25, 10 at 11:59

If you happen to have a neighbor nearby that has whatever pollinator you need, it'll work.

Skybird

o

This reminds me of a story I was told by a friend who grew up way out near the Utah border on an isolated farm, and they'd planted an orchard. Peaches and apples did well, but they never had luck with their two cherry trees in something like 50 years - a few cherries, never very many.

Then they found out that they needed a specific pollinator and planted one, and three years later, when the thing bloomed and the older trees were cross-pollinated, they had bushels and bushels of cherries.

Then they moved.

o

Your care of these trees is quite different and you will have to get used to the fact that if you don't do dormant spraying, you may very well not have a crop next year. And this zone is difficult anyway with stone frs as late frosts kill chances of a crop. But sanitation and spraying are key and must be done.

Dan

o

Dan, I missed dormant spraying before they flowered, can I do it now? Before they leaf out and the weather warms up?

o

Well, gosh. I think we may just go with the ones we have now and see how they do in the next couple of years. Then plant one or another variety if it looks like that's what we need. #1 reason we planted the trees was to replace the aspens that had been growing there, and we wanted trees that didn't grow too big and would provide a bit of screening. The fruit part was the icing on the cake, and would be really nice if it happens, but not the total reason for planting them.

The varieties we got are Vivid Peach, Eve Braeburn Apple, and Bosc Pear.

Thanks for the advice!

o

Make it quick David. Better late than never.

Dan

o

I'll do it today. We have snow in the forecast again later this week......

o

Eh - I got the last qt of dormant oil in the shop, and sprayed all the trees focusing on the gnobbly parts and cracks, and I'm probably too late since I saw lots of ants climbing up and around the trees - which means they have their aphids to care for.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here