Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gjmancini

Bittersweet snow

gjmancini
12 years ago

Well the snow is very welcomed as we need the moisture so badly, but my poor baby apple trees. They were all in there glory, perky and leaving out. The snow is heavy on their tiny branches. :( Hope they make it through ok, I have really been babying them.

Comments (7)

• jnfr
    12 years ago

Yeah, the fruit trees are all just blooming around our neighborhood as well, so I guess this will cut them short. Too bad! I always enjoy the spring blooms.

• LesIsMore1
    12 years ago

Heavy snow here too, started yesterday... Happy for the moisture. I'm about to go harvest some off the decks, so I can feed it to my compost kater (which, as of last night.. was still smoking at 140 degrees. OOooh rah!)

(Steve must have sent us some precip from out west. ty ty ty!)

But its feeling COLD!!! No fruit trees to worry about here (I wish...maybe) but my lilacs are unhappy. My lillies went into shock...I think they might have froze, and I don't think they like that. Even some of my Iris looks like it might have a little frost damage. I dumped straw on everything (except the lilacs - they're taller than me) but not sure how much it will help. I probably should have done it the night before...

Because I'm fairly new to gardening (compared to most here)... I pretty much stick to plants I know, or have learned since moving here. But every year I pick a handful new ones to 'try'. Keeps me from getting too overwhelmed when erratic weather happens, with a bunch of plants I don't understand.

This year, I'm dabbling with roses for the first time, and I'm afraid I've messed them up already. I know they don't like wet feet, but not sure how they feel when all their new growth freezes, and falls off. Can't be good. First mistake, caved in at a sale rack at walmart. Second mistake, some were coming out of dormancy already, others weren't - couldn't decide what to do, so picked one of each. Third mistake...put them in the ground already...on my south slope, of all places. Maybe should have put them in containers, and then wait...but it was SO nice.

The other new ones for this year are mostly safe, I've been too chicken to mess with them yet. One variety of canna lily's, that will probably go in containers. Coneflowers and Columbines are repeat 'new' ones, that wouldn't germinate for me last year. Most are still in the fridge downstairs, stratifying. (maybe) But I wintersowed some old seeds, just to see... and coneflowers were among those that germinated. A few days ago, they were still tiny little things... and are still out there. I'm afraid to go look, don't want to jinx myself.

I don't know much about the lillys that were here when I bought the house. They didn't bloom last year, so I ammended their beds this spring... and they came right up. Were looking great, until yesterday. All I know about those...not as hardy as Iris, and flowers are orange. Covered with straw, hoping they make it.

Tomatoes are inside. Raspberries were just waking up, got a layer of straw anyway. Garlic will be fine. Potatoes not in the ground yet, sprouting in the laundry room, on schedule there. Sedums, fine. Tulips, probably fine. Theres a few others that are still no shows...waiting to see on those.

We have at least 6 inches of snow now, and near blizzard visibility...so, just hunkered down with the woodstove cranked up until it passed. Maybe, this is mother natures way of reminding me to finish the bathroom...lol.
    Les

• mtny
    12 years ago

winter storm warning calling for 9 to 20 inches btwn now and midnight friday and up to 26 inches in the higher mountains

• LesIsMore1
    12 years ago

26 inches? Was just out taking a picture of the full moon, and noticed something brewing out there... I wondered if we might get some, but I guess we'll get lots!

Just as well, they are talking about water restrictions now, due to recent fire fighting efforts. I suppose putting a 4500 acre fire out would use up a little water. :(

Leslie...headed for the straw piles, to tuck everybody back in again. Thanks for the heads up!

Here is a link that might be useful: Full moon on display tonight...

• david52 Zone 6
    12 years ago

Here its high winds, low humidity, and a red flag warning.

• highalttransplant
    12 years ago

Same here, David! I'm staying inside today ...

• LesIsMore1
    12 years ago

Your snow missed us. (by a long ways...lol) Although, we did have red dlag warnings, and (strangely) chances of 'dangerous lightning' in our forecast. lol. Haven't seen any lightning yet, but its been windy...

Les