Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Door open or shut?

Posted by colokid 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 29, 10 at 9:58

Will the sun shine on Friday?
I got to leave for the day to swap out my ICD with a bad battery.
Forecast is for 50 degrees high. If I leave the door closed on my little GH and the sun comes out for even an hour it will go to over a 100 degrees on my tomatoes..not good.
Maybe I better leave it opened up while I am gone. The 50 shouldn't hurt them and the heater would come on at about 45.
One of these days an automatic fan.............
Any body got an old swamp cooler I can latch onto?
Decisions, decisions,,,,,,,,,,
KennyP

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Door open or shut?

KennyP, I've got a vent that is very high on the wall. At the other end, I can open the exhaust fan. Neither is controlled by anything automatic.

Between these vents is the furnace and it has a "cooling" side to the thermostat. It helps some when it gets warm during the day but doesn't do too much more than stir the air.

My best choice for cooling is to turn that exhaust fan on and let it run. It is a fairly large kitchen-type fan and with the air coming in high up on the other end - most bright sunny days can be safely dealt with.

Warmer air temperature means I have to open the door because the air against the south wall gets a little "trapped" with air only coming in high up.

My most difficult days are when it is very sunny but only around 40. Throw a 20mph wind and a few big clouds into the mix and I'm practically a nervous wreck trying to keep control of things!

Here's Wishing You the Best of Luck!

Steve

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here