Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
colokid

G W software

colokid
11 years ago

I think this software is getting worser and worser. (I like that word). No pop ups, but my CPU runs at full speed and over heats when ever. It's trying to do some thing it can't. Really slows things down.

Comments (3)

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    11 years ago

I don't have as much trouble with it since I have a Mac now, but GW is still pretty much the slowest site I go to!

Have you tried installing AdBlock, which stops all the "commercials" from loading, so giving your computer a lot less to try to deal with? It's free--well--depending on which browser you use! I think there may be a small charge for IE, but it's free for Firefox and some others. I haven't used it myself--yet, but I have a good friend who uses it on a Mac with Firefox and she loves it. If you google for it there are other ad-stopping things you can get too, some of them free, but I believe AdBlock is the most frequently used one.

Also, do you clear your cache regularly to get rid of junk, and have you defragged recently, which can help *some* too.

When I had a PC and used AOL, there was a way I could block "animated media," but now with the Mac and Safari there isn't, and I am planning to try AdBlock at some point. Still gearing up slowly from the hard drive crash, and a little bit scared to do anything but a little bit of surfing and emailing!

One thing I've done a few times recently on RMG when I'm looking at a thread with a lot of pics--that I've already looked at, is to wait for the "text" to load and then hit "stop" so the pictures stop loading and I can just read the most recent post. That seems to speed things up a little bit from a reading point of view! Don't know if it would help at all with the "CPU overload" on a PC or not!

Hang in there, Kenny! We don't want you to disappear around here!

Skybird

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    11 years ago

Forgot to stick this link in with some info about AdBlock!

Here is a link that might be useful: AdBlock Plus stuff!

• nunchucks
    11 years ago

Kenny, I too highly recommend adding on AdBlock. You could also look into blocking Flash scripts which may be part of AdBlocker. Many if not all video Ads are flash scripts and they are unstable at best which is one of the reasons why Apple doesn't support them on their devices. Skybird, sorry to hear about your HD crash. I've been a mac user for 20 yrs on a daily basis for work and DH is a hardcore Appleman and he's in IT so that speaks volumes since he works on both platforms and I've only experienced 2 HD failures which was actually a hardware problem and Apple CS was very good about parts replacements etc. I am pretty sure I have your email, I'll email you my number and if you have any issues at all, feel free to give us a holler. I know how frustrating it is to lose all your data if you don't have it backed-up, speaking of which I need to B/U the last 2 wks of work! or y'll will definitely hear me screaming bloody murder.