Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing iris in Zone 5

Posted by leesgarden z5 CO (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 24, 05 at 10:29

I brought a bunch of my named irises with me from California - anyone had luck (good or bad) growing these here? I haven't put them in the ground yet.

Also brought named daylilies, which I'm hoping will do well also.

Thanks!

Lisa :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing iris in Zone 5

They both should do just fine, I'd go ahead and get them in the ground as soon as you have a nice day to do it. My iris are now about 6" high, and my daylillies the same.

o

• Posted by Skybird z5, Denver, CO (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 24, 05 at 13:54

Hi Lisa,

You already have your answer about the Iris and Daylilies, but I just wanted to say welcome to Colorado. Glad to have you here.

Happy zone 5 gardening,
Skybird

o

Lisa, I assume you mean Bearded Iris. If so, you should have no problem at all. I also grow Siberian Iris without any problem. I have some tall beards that are from my parents property in Mississippi that have thrived here in Colorado for years. Currently, my MDB's and SDB's are blooming and some of my early TB's are putting up flower stalks. I agree with David. You should get them in the ground when you have an opportunity.

Daylilies aren't a problem either if you give them good soil conditions and some extra water in the summer months.

-Doug
-Lyons, CO

o

Bearded Iris have been very dependable for me as well. They don't fill in as quickly as they did back east where they received a lot more moisture. But that can be a plus, because you don't have to divide them as often! Daylilies will grow just fine, but will appreciate amended soil and water, like Doug said.

o

Colorado is bearded iris country. There are several commercial iris growers in the state. Long's Gardens in Boulder has been in business as long as I can remember. It's being run by the 2nd generation of the Long family now.
Daylilies also do well here. As an American Hemerocallis Society Display Garden, we grow close to 4,000 cultivars.
They will survive almost anything, but to be at their best, amend the soil and give them an ample supply of water during the growing season.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cat Lady's Garden

o

Welcome to Colorado!
If you are in Colorado Springs or close check out the Iris Societies show in June is it? Not sure. By the Pikes Peak Public Library the East branch a member of the iris society maintains the beds on the south side of the parking lot. These gardeners are great at hybridizing and have some pretty amazing flowers!

Istanbuljoy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here