Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zacharys

Whos ready for it!

After our lovely week in the high 60's and 70's old man winter is letting us know he's not done with us yet! Calling for 6-12" here at my house (depending on which weatherman you ask).One of the few things I don't like about Colorado: our lack an honest-to-goodness real life spring.

Comments (30)

• treebarb Z5 Denver
    10 years ago

I am! It's so dry. I've enjoyed having a spring this year, but we really need a 2 ft. dumping of snow. We're not going to get that, but the precip. is welcome.

Things are slow to wake up around here, so not anticipating any tree damage, I think those with flowering trees in bloom might take a hit.

Today would be a good day to lay down some lawn fertilizer. I just finished mine!

• gjcore
    10 years ago

It's been sort of dry here so some snow would be fine. I started watering some areas yesterday with a hose due to lack of soil moisture. Still too early to turn on the irrigation system. No lawn fertilizer needed here but I might frost seed some clover where the last of the lawn was.

Probably not going to get cold enough, ~21F, to damage tree blossoms. I have appreciated not needing to close my coldframes and tunnels recently. Weather.com is saying 4-6 inches of snow for denver metro.

Zach, this IS Spring!

• luckybottom
    10 years ago

The walking onions have wintered and the garlic, at the top of the onion beds, has taken off the past week. Sage and Winter Savory are looking like they will make it (they are in the foreground). I, too, had to water the past few days. {{gwi:1195093}}
    Peas and asparagus are up and would appreciate any moisture at this point.

gjcore; when is your sale this year? I sure would be interested in trying rosemary in a different spot.

• chellers
    10 years ago

We put down lawn fertilizer too. But I am a little worried about my early season veggies already in the raised beds, we'll see!

• ZachS. z5 Platteville, Colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yeah, I'm mostly worried about the early veggies that are in the beds too. My onions just started putting on some decent growth this week, but I don't think the snow is going to really kill off anything (most of the little bit that's out there I can easily restart if worse comes to worse) Really just worried about everything getting squished to death under a foot of wet heavy slush.

Gjcore, I think what you meant to say was: this is "spring." I have been to other places, spring, as it is understood by the rest of the world, is not something that exists in Colorado haha.

• gjcore
    10 years ago

luckybottom, I'm probably just going to do the bigger sale this year and not my own. The big sale is May 10th and 11th in Englewood.

The rosemary is coming along pretty good so far though my experiment of putting relatively new cuttings in the coldframes over the winter didn't work out all that well. The mature ones came through just fine protected outside. About 75 rosemary are looking pretty good.

• gjcore
    10 years ago

deleted duplicate post

This post was edited by gjcore on Sun, Apr 13, 14 at 12:41

• margaretmontana
    10 years ago

It is snowing here tonight also. Hopefully not enough to have to shovel tomorrow. It could just melt off. I have walking onions, chives, garlic and rhubarb up and they can handle it. In the hoop house I have lettuce, greens and spinach and they should do okay. I bet I pulled 3 thousand little chickweeds in half a bed of greens today. Maybe I will just have to acquire a taste for it.

• jaliranchr
    10 years ago

Bring it on! We need the moisture. Just no vicious cold like last spring that robbed us of so many spring flowers and flowering trees and shrubs.

Original Author
    10 years ago

I was in Salina, KS for pretty much all of April last year. This shows the nice layer of ice that covered every square inch of everything out there. It was crazy! I had to pour my hot coffee on the door handle of my truck to unlock and open it haha.
    I broke a chunk off to show the difference. I wish I had taken pictures of the grass (each individual blade had it's own coating) and the flowering fruit tress where all the flowers looked like they had been dipped in clear resin.

• catnohat
    10 years ago

I'm ready. I moved all of my potted spring swap babies under tables to keep them from getting squished. I put pots over a couple of my plants in the garden that are just looking too good to risk and I got out all my little rain buckets. (I don't have a big rain barrel) The buds on my lilacs and little pear tree are still closed up tight. They should be be ok, so bring it on!

~Cat

• david52 Zone 6
    10 years ago

The snow won't bother the garlic, onions, and other alliums.

We're in for 100% chance of rain, they say. I'm skepticalâ¦

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    10 years ago

I'm ready now! When I got up it was already 32 here and was switching over from light rain to light snow. Yesterday, in anticipation of snow, I leaned some of my cuke trellises over the dafs and hyacinths that are blooming. Not worried about the cold, but they get smashed by snow, so I went out and clipped sheets over the trellises this morning to keep the snow from knocking them all down. I cut 5 dafs that were here and there by themselves yesterday, and cut one more that was all by itself today--that was starting to seriously list! They're pretty inside too! All the ones that are in "bunches" are now sheltered from snow.

And, wouldn't you know it, pretty much as soon as I got back inside and was trying to warm up my fingers and feet, the snow stopped again!!! They're still predicting 5-9" for my area, and I really, really don't think I'm gonna get anything like that, but I do think I'll get more than I have so far. It's been kind of drizzling "slightly solid" rain since I finished with the Cover Job.

My bleeding heart is about 18" high and starting to bloom, so I put a big pot over that one yesterday. Old fashioned bleeding hearts are one of the things that WILL freeze, and they're too pretty to chance missing a "whole year" of flowers!

Everything else is short enough or cold hardy enough to be ok on its own. Do already have hosta and ferns starting to appear thru the mulch, but they're still small/tight enough to survive what we're gonna get this time.

Like others around here, I'm pretty dry again, and I'm hopin' for a decent amount of precip!

Love Springtime in the Rockies,
    Skybird

Original Author
    10 years ago

Yeah, it was sleeting this morning when I woke up around 7, and been ever since. Seems to be tapering off...perhaps they oversold this one, or it's just taking a break.

Covered up the veggies that are outside, the garden looks like tent city lol. I'm not too worried about the cold, but, like your bulbs, Skybird, I'm mostly concerned about the weight of the snow piling up on them.

10 years ago

If you have anything you can "tent" over blooming bulbs, just enough to keep the weight of any snow off of them, I recommend it, Zach. Dafs, especially, have semi-hollow stems, so they don't really bend, they break! If they do break (bend in half!) you can still cut them and put them in water--if they're "frozen," thaw them in a cold room/place first! But if they break too high up on the stem it's pretty hard to even do that.

I'm getting snow, kinda corn-snow, right now, but it's still very fine. Checked radar again and it looks like something heavier could be moving toward me from the southwest part of town, but overall it still looks to me like it might wind up being mostly a bust! I'm saying that to Tempt Fate! Still hoping for something significant!

Skybird

• catnohat
    10 years ago

In Brighton, it has been raining or snowing lightly all day. No accumulation yet but the ground is getting a little soaking. I'm hoping it's about to pick up any minute.

~Cat

Original Author
    10 years ago

looks like your tempting fate worked, lol. Here in Littleton I've got a good 3/4" now, and, if it lasts until tomorrow morning like they've been saying, I bet we see the whole 6".

I don't have any bulbs, since they always sell them in the spring and by the time I'm ready to plant bulbs in the fall they are gone! We don't actually have any landscaping to begin with though, was going to try some this year but apparently flower seeds don't care for me much.

• jaliranchr
    10 years ago

It's starting to come down a bit here on the prairie. Took the dog for a quick walk. Grauple, driven by wind, smacking against your face, stings pretty good. I had started hardening my onions off, but they'll just sit in the window today. The moisture reading on CoCoRaHs should be interesting tomorrow. There isn't a lot falling, but it is full of moisture.

10 years ago

In the last 10 minutes it's started REALLY coming down here! Almost looks like winter out there--but we all know better! The grass is still sticking out of the snow, but at this rate it'll be completely covered in another 5-10 minutes. Fingers crossed! Really glad I got the sheets over the bulbs to keep the snow off of them!

Skybird

• david52 Zone 6
    10 years ago

We had rain, but nothing measurable, and now its cleared off and sunny.

• margaretmontana
    10 years ago

Our snow melted by 11 a.m. and I did not have to shovel. The wind was gusting really hard and I thought some of the things in the yard were going to travel quite a ways. Today cool and clear. I finished potting up the rest of my tomatoes into coffee and yogurt cups.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, that's it yall, I'm moving. 8 months of sh***y weather and slipping and sliding on the roads and scraping off windshields is just too much for me. I spent a year and a half in the middle east, and I'll tell you, moisture be damned, I much prefer the heat haha.

• catnohat
    10 years ago

I have maybe 3 inches of snow on the grass this morning, but the roads have about 1/2 an inch. Not as much as I hoped for, but I'll take it!

~Cat

• david52 Zone 6
    10 years ago

21úF this morning. No peaches, no plums, and no Jonathan apples this year.

• jaliranchr
    10 years ago

So sorry about the fruit blossoms, David.

Here's the CoCoRaHS moisture measurements (Just click on the state and county you are interested in). We got a decent .29" of moisture out of the snow.

Here is a link that might be useful: CoCoRaHS moisture reports

Original Author
    10 years ago

That does suck, David. You'd think the trees around here would learn to wait (course, our apple trees wait for years and only flower like once every 3-4 years.)

10 years ago

Not much moisture and frozen blossoms! Sorry to hear that, David!

Was wondering if you got much out your way, Jali! Glad it was at least measurable!

I've saved links to CoCoRaHS before, but I've always had trouble finding real specific info because you can't "zoom in" on the map I had found and there weren't enough roads marked for me to be sure which "station" was closest to me--and on the list of "stations" there's no real info about exactly where they are! This time, however, I clicked on enough links that I got to THIS map, where you can zoom in all the way and then click on the individual stations to get detailed info. I love it! I'm not sure if it'll link to the Colorado map like I have it set now, or if it'll go to the US map, but it covers the whole US and Canada and you can go to whatever state you want to get precip totals. This is the one I'll be using from now on!

It looks like I got about the same as you, Jali, about .29", but just west of me there are reports of up to .55". I think maybe I was somewhere between those two--based on nothing scientific whatsoever, but just on how long it was raining/snowing, even if it was slow most of the time. I estimate close to 2" of "visible" snow on the grass, but it's really hard to know how much it was because it was melting so much in the beginning, and then started to actually rain again after the first snow!

I got a self-emptying wireless remote rain gauge last fall, and I am (not very) patiently waiting to put it out in the yard! It says to not use it in freezing weather! A few more weeks and I'll know for sure what I get here--and won't need to run out into the yard in the rain to see how much I've gotten! Sure wish I had had it during The Floods last fall! Still hoping to get a real weather station some day!

The yard is looking green and happy--which makes me happy too!

Skybird

Here is a link that might be useful: Interactive CoCoRaHS Precip Map

Original Author
    10 years ago

Were sittin at between .47 and .49. Looks like I only lost a beet or two that were at the edge of the bed and got frost bit. Everything else is as perky as it was before, but holy cow is it a muddy, trashy mess out there. straw, wood and blankets everywhere. Gearin up for round two later this week!

• gjcore
    10 years ago

During the storm the other there was and I am assuming a female robin digging in the mulch frantically for a few hours looking for worms. This is the best picture I could get through the back security door. If you look closely you can see her pretty much center in the hole she dug.

• jaliranchr
    10 years ago

Great pic of an industrious lady, gjcore!

Glad so many received some moisture. I went out with the hoe and tackled some young weeds while the soil was more forgiving with the moisture.