Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Colorado folks...mark your calendar

Posted by catladysgarden z5 CO (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 6, 08 at 10:53

Hi All,
I have received several private emails inquiring about our Open Garden. I told Skybird that the last time I posted something on this forum about my Open Garden, the post was removed by an Administrator. I never figured out why plant swaps would be allowed and Open Garden was not. The only thing I could figure is that someone thought this was a place of business. So, to whom it may concern, I am not in the daylily business. My garden is a private garden that is designated as a Display Garden by the American Hemerocallis Society. My "job" is to display the daylily to the public in a well maintained garden setting.
With that said, our 12th Annual Open Garden will be on Saturday July 12th from 8am - 4pm. We are near I-70 and Chambers Road in Aurora. We grow more than 4,000 Hemerocallis cultivars plus many other perennials. If you want the address or any additional information, please email me. The only drawback to having a peak bloom in July is that it's normally pretty hot. We do have plenty of shade in the back yard and we always serve refreshments.
We plan to attend the plant swap at Charlene's on May 17th. I hope to see a bunch of you then.

Cheers,
Karen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Colorado folks...mark your calendar

Oh, Oh, Oh, I really hope I can make it to your Open Garden! I am so addicted to DL. Hope I can make the swap too but both depend on whether I can find qualified childcare. That's not easy.

I've just been informed by our service coordinator that I may as well move out of CO because the services for autistic children are next to none. Ugh! I won't even qualify for respite care. CO ranks 48 out of 50 in services for disabled children. Even for services I can afford to pay for myself I can't find providers. It's pathetic.

o

Woohoo! I have Respite Care for my kids! I can hardly believe we were finally qualified! I have access to 24x7 childcare who will work with special needs. I get to have a little bit more life again.

This is the very first "special" day I requested just so I can come see your gardens....:)

I can hardly wait!

Debra

o

Good for you, Debra! I'm glad that you are getting some help. Being home with my elderly grandparents, I understand the drain of being 24x7 care.

Anyway, please get some DL photos for me! I would love to see this garden in bloom.

- Michelle

o

Debra, I'm glad you'll be able to make it. Feel free to invite anyone that you think might enjoy seeing the garden.
We're working hard getting things ready. We have no help this year. Seems like every time I hire part time help, they create more problems than they solve and cost me a pile of money on top of it. After planting around 800 annuals, my hands resemble those of a bricklayer. Just hope that we don't have hail. That's the only thing that scares me. It can turn my garden into a pile of mush in a matter of minutes.
Karen

o

I picked up a flyer at Nick's a couple of weeks ago and keep it on the fridge next to the calendar so I don't forget!!

o

Karen,
I can just imagine how sore your hands are. That is a lot of work on your own.

I'm just getting aquainted with the AHS group up here. I'll pass on your invite to see if anyone else up here is interested- especially with gas prices it would be nice to carpool and get better aquainted to boot.

Oh Michelle, I understand caretaking elderly too. My mom (in her 70s) has spent a tremendous amount of energy caretaking her mother (93) and my dad's mom (103) both who have osteoperosis. My brother has stepped in to help with dad's mom. I feel helpless in that regard as they are back in WA and I have not been able to travel for a couple years now with my kid's conditions. One of my respite breaks needs to be to go home for a visit.

o

I'd love to come if I can find a way up there.

Btw, the daylilies that I got at the last swap I was at are growing and doing fine. They haven't bloomed yet, but they look healthy and happy. I planted them where they get a lot of morning sun.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here