Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
popp_gw

Ravenna Grass (aka Hardy Pampas Grass)

Popp
10 years ago

I'm need to add some tall grass to block the front yard from the road. I see Hardy Pampas Grass EVERYWHERE in Denver, but have yet to find a place that sells it. A google search yielded some places in Longmont and Aurora, but I don't live very close to either and would love to find something closer to Wheat Ridge. Does anyone have any tips? I've attached a pic if you're unfamiliar with what I'm looking for. Thanks!

Comments (2)

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    10 years ago

Hi Popp,

Timberline is showing it stocked in gallon and five gallon sizes this year. I'm linking the Timberline page with his plant lists for this year below. Hardy pampas grass was originally classified as Erianthus ravennae, then it was changed to Saccarum ravennae, and now I see Kelly is listing it as Erianthus again, so I don't know if it's been re-classified back to the original genus or what! Look for it under either name, it's been kind of all mixed up for a long time now! Timberline is on 58th just east of Ward Road, BTW. (At Tabor, just past Simms!)

In order to do really well it will need "most of the day" sun, so be sure where you're planning to plant it will have adequate light before you spend your money. Too little sun and it just won't do as well or look as good.

Paulino Gardens, 62nd and Broadway, used to carry it in at least a couple different sizes, but there have been some major changes over there in the last couple years, and they don't have an online listing of what they carry, so before you head over there I'd definitely recommend calling to see if they'll be stocking it, and if so, if they have it in yet.

I'd expect O'Toole's to carry it too. Never looked to see if they have an online listing! Call to verify first! There's one on Wadsworth at about 92nd, and I don't know if there's one that's more down Wheat Ridge way or not.

Isn't Echter's over your way? I'd expect them to carry it too.

It's conceivable you'd find it at a big box store like Lowe's or HD, but I'm always a little leery about their plants! If you happen to find something there that has just arrived on the truck, no problem! If it's been there for more than a week, possible problem! If you do look and find one at a place like that, be sure you knock it out of the pot first to look at the roots! They should be firm and white and "healthy" looking!

It's pretty common stuff out here, so you really should be able to find it fairly close to you. Call the closest "real" garden center to you and ask for it by the botanical name--both of them, and throw in the common name too!

Happy ornamental grassing,
    Skybird

Here is a link that might be useful: Timberline 2014 plant lists

• Popp
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for the extensive response, I'm sure I'll find it at one of those places, I'll start at Timberline, they are pretty close. I do live close to Echter's and feel like I tried them last year without luck, but can't remember for sure. Thanks for the tip...funny about the naming issues too, I didn't realize that it wasn't true "pampas" grass until I started looking it up online.