Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susanka_gw

I want to buy glechoma hederacea plants (ground ivy, alehoof)

susanka
9 years ago

Hi. I know this plant is considered a noxious weed by some, but I love the look of it and want to buy some plants this spring. It has tiny purple flowers in the spring. it's too late to plant the seeds. My plan is to get rid of the rocks in my yard and let the Glechoma hederacea spread. I understand it's invasive, but I think I can pull it out easily enough when it gets where I don't want it. Can anyone tell me where to find it? Searching the web I can only find seeds. Thanks very much.

Comments (2)

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    9 years ago

Hi Susanka,

I'll try to be gentle! I don't think you realize how truly invasive this stuff is! It does reseed some, but the real problem is that if you try to pull it out or dig it up, it will reproduce from even the tiniest little piece of root that's left in the soil. So once it gets started somewhere, trying to remove some of it often just makes it worse--and apparently it is VERY difficult to kill with the "normal" weed killers. There are other easy to take care of groundcovers that will look good, fill in densely, and you won't wind up regretting putting them in at some future date. I think you might be interested in the GW thread I'm linking below! It's very reminiscent of the bindweed thread that we had going around here--for several years, until it got up to the maximum number of posts! Maybe the experience of others will help convince you it's not a good idea. If you are still thinking about putting it in, I'd ask you to consider your neighbors before you do, because if you have it, they will too.

I don't know if they still have it, but Paulino's used to carry a variegated version of it--some people use it in hanging baskets. Don't remember where you are! If you're not near there you might call garden centers that carry houseplants near you to see if they carry that variety, or to just ask if they carry it in their perennial department--but I'd be pretty surprised if you do find it in perennials anywhere. But you never know!

Skybird

Here is a link that might be useful: How to get rid of Creeping Charlie

• susanka
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Skybird, thanks I guess! You were very gentle. I did read the thread you linked. I've read others too where folks didn't seem to be having quite so much trouble.

We live in the Greenhorn Valley (south of Pueblo)on a windy ridge. Our yard is all rocked with perennials, shrubs, trees, grasses. I dislike the rock intensely-- it's so unwelcoming, hard to walk on or work in, etc. -- but no mulch will stay down in the wind. What I hope to do is replace all the rock except the winding path with a groundcover. Any groundcover which can be walked on occasionally, is drought-tolerant, and not a attractant for deer would work. We have anacyclus daisies, which we enjoy, but it doesn't spread quickly. My husband doesn't want more woolly thyme, which we have in the back.

We want some kind of a quiet background for our other plants. The look we were trying to go for when we started was a "foresty" look, but foxes dug up our irrigation lines-- never could figure out why really, but it happened night after night -- and only the rock seemed to stop them. I think groundcover would deter them also.
    I've attached a photo of part of our front yard from two years ago. The front doesn't face the mountain and ridge, but it still gets tremendous wind.

I've looked online at groundcovers but this will be a huge project in terms of time, labor, and money, so I thought something like G.h. which I know will grow here and I like the look of would be best. I hear what you're saying, though. If you or anyone else has any further thoughts I'd sure appreciate hearing them, and thanks for taking the time to do such a lengthy and informative post.