Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
digit_gw

stolen, or did they just slip away?

digit
14 years ago

I've made this lament before but GreenBean's post on Purple Majesty potatoes prompts it again. (I can't help you there in Colorado Springs, 'Bean. I am sorry.)

Beside my potatoes, I like broccoli!

I started with an old-style variety (Calabrese) but found that I had trouble keeping up with all the little shoots. The lateness of production also was a problem. Probably, for 10 years, I grew Green Comet and thought it did real well - I was completely happy with Green Comet.

Green Comet seed was everywhere! And, then it wasn't . . .

So, I was forced to try Premium Crop. It didn't quite "work." Premium Crop will produce a nice head then all those nice shoots get entirely too "rambunctious" in flowering.

Then RMG gardeners suggested the very popular Packman! Just right! A little broccoli plant with a nice big head and quite a few tender side-shoots -- all for me!

Now, I have problems finding Packman seed!! I found it for '10 but next year . . . the year after . . . this has happened before . . .

Amandine fingerling potatoes were a big find back in 'o6 when I finally got back to growing spuds again. The next year . . . they were gone! They were wonderful but I still can't find them!

In 'o8 and 'o9, I grew Caribe. "Lustrous purple skin covers smooth snow-white flesh." Oh yeah, I can still find them. But locally . . . they're nowhere!

Same way with Sangre . . ."one of the finest quality red-skinned potatoes. The appealing, oval, white-fleshed tubers . . ." Sure, pay $11.45/pound PLUS shipping!! What happened to them at my local garden center?!?

This year, I got Adora, "very good for boiling and baking." Cute little guys . . . What if I like them!?!?

. . . sometimes, the Grinch steals stuff!! Sometimes, they just slip away.

Steve

Comments (9)

• polygonum_tinctorium
    14 years ago

That's why you should always save seed when possible. (Or for potatoes, save enough to plant next year.)

And also, why you should share if possible. You never know when you'll have a crop failure, or move, or otherwise not be able to keep your favorites going.

Saving seed/potatoes/etc. is often very simple. You may also find that the quality of what you save is far better than what you can buy. Bought seed is often older than you think, and has not necessarily been stored as well as your own seeds.

• david52 Zone 6
    14 years ago

I'm having that trouble with pea seed. This year, I'll plant enough to save.

• digit
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Relying on a hybrid creates a problem, no doubt about it.

Just ate the last of the Yukon Golds from 'o9. Those things surprise me . . . but (right now) they are very common. The Gold Rush russets were beyond hope before the New Year, if I remember right. I don't have quite the right conditions for spud storage, apparently. Still, I could probably make a go of it.

Those Amandine fingerling potatoes were pulled right out from under me after I had them only 1 year. I was so pleased with them . . . Somewhere on the internet, I read that they are very popular in France and Switzerland.

Aggravating.

S'

• kareng_grow
    14 years ago

Hi Steve,
    I just called my favorite garden center and they have Sangre reds. Can I help you out????

• digit
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you Karen!

No, I've already used up all the space in the potato patch. I got Russet Norkotah, Yukon Gold, Adora, and for a red: Red Norland.

I've never grown them. I'd probably try very few things that are new . . . if'n it wasn't forced on me.

You are very nice with that suggestion - Thank You.

Steve

• kareng_grow
    14 years ago

I'm always happy to help gardening buddies if I can. I think I may try the sangre reds since I don't have any in yet. I read an interesting article today on the internet about how to grow potatoes in tires. The premise is to stack the tires each time the main plants grow 8 inches above the soil and then cover them with more soil and another tire (up to four tires). The premise is that this forces more off shoots than just a single layer or row. Supposedly, 2 pounds of seed potatoes can generate 20 to 30 pounds of potatoes in a real small space. I can't wait to try it...

• digit
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Karen, here's an idea with the tires - and since I haven't tried it, it may not be worth much.

Think about stacking the tires with gaps between them. Perhaps, boards laid across them would be about right to allow the potato vines to grow between the tires and extend outward as you stack the tires.

All green plants use sunlight to produce the starches needed for growth. If the plants can continue to grow up and OUT, I can imagine that they will have more and more leaves exposed to sunlight for photosynthesis and starch production. You may be able to grow, what is essentially, a very large potato plant this way.

I have read of some folks using strawberry pots for potatoes . . .

. . . just my imagination and 1 1/2¢.

Steve âªâª

• kareng_grow
    14 years ago

What a fabulous idea! The space between the layers would provide just enough room for more plants to grow out the sides and the shape of the tires are such that the soil won't get washed out every time the structure is watered. I will post photos for sure. If nothing else, this will become a wonderful organic sculpture...: )
    Karen

• greenbean08_gw
    14 years ago

Karen,
    To grow potatoes up like that, make sure you don't use an early variety (like Yukon Gold), it doesn't work so well. I tried a similar idea with a build-as-you-grow potato bin (search on the Square Foot Gardening forum and you'll find lots about them.