Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Joshua Tree yuccas in denver?

Posted by tbone303 z5 CO (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 6, 06 at 12:29

Has anybody ever seen a Joshua Tree yucca in Denver? I am think about giving one a try

Thanks
Tony

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Joshua Tree yuccas in denver?

Hi Tony - I have never seen this growing here. I don't think it would be hardy in Denver- or elsewhere in Colorado. It tolerates Zone 7, but nothing close to the Zone 5 climate we have. Of course, maybe there is another cultivar that you are considering that is hardier! I'm certainly not an expert. I personally don't grow any Yucca because it is too painful to work around. :-D

Holly

Here is a link that might be useful: Yucca brevifolia - Joshua Tree Yucca

o

I'm growing Joshua tree here in Boulder. No damage after last winter, and is growing new leaves very quickly...it's about 6 inches tall and is starting to form a trunk. I would consider Denver/Boulder as Zone 6, not Zone 5. Just because we have hit cold temperatures in the past, doesn't mean that the temperatures are going to be that extreme every winter. I would try planting a Joshua tree in Denver; you might be suprised at the results!

o

There are also other trunk-forming yuccas that are more tolerant of cold. Check out HighCountryGardens.com and type "yucca" in the search field at the upper right of the screen. Yucca rostrata, Yucca faxoniana, Yucca brevifolia are some of the trunk-formers that are theoretically cold-hardy to Z5.

Nancy

o

• Posted by skybird z5, Denver, CO (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 12, 07 at 15:01

I was just at Timberline Gardens on Sunday and I saw some of these. I was looking at other things and didn't notice if they were in pots for sale or if they were in the ground, but you might want to give them a call (ask for Kelly) and see what they can tell you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Timberline

o
RE: Joshua Tree yuccas in denver? - more

• Posted by skybird z5, Denver, CO (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 12, 07 at 15:11

Just checked his broadleaf evergreen list and he has both Yucca rostrata, Yucca faxoniana. Ouch on the price! But the ones I saw were BIG.

o

Yes, nrynes is right. Check out highcountrygardens.com, that's where I got most of my plants that are growing here. They grow under similar climate and conditions in Santa Fe, NM. Basically, if the plants can grow in Albuquerque and Santa Fe, they do have a chance and will grow in Denver and sorrounding areas because we somewhat have the same kind of climate.

o

I also am looking to purchase a hardy Joshua Tree, specifically Yucca brevifolia v. jaegeriana. I was going to purchase it from High Country Gardens, but it is not available right now. Does anyone know of any other sources for this plant that ship? I am definitely looking for a plant, not seed. Thanks very much! Leslie

o

I am aware of a Joshua Tree that is at least 9-10 feet tall with several branches located in the warmer side of zone 5. It is located at Willard Bay Gardens which is north of Ogden, Utah. I spoke with the owner and it has been outside for 18 years. I've also seen Joshua Trees in several locations in Salt Lake City (probably zone 6). I Have a 1 gallon pot size Joshua Tree I am growing and I live in zone 4. After several years of keeping it inside it's going outside. We'll see what happens.

Kevin

o

I've killed a couple of them here in Canon City. Killed a nice two-gallon size one that I brought up from Albuquerque. Also killed the little 'brevifolia v. jaegeriana' that I got from High Country Gardens, that's supposed to be hardy to zone 5.

Not sure what the problem has been. I've got a lot of different yuccas, so I know what they need generally, but if I do try another Joshua Tree it will be down to it's last strike, so to speak. Good luck.

o

Call for Kelly at timberline.. agreed. If it can be grown, he would know. Another person who would know is by the name Tom Peace. He experiments with things of this nature incessantly.. Kelly could probably get you in touch with him.

o

sorry to bump such an old thread...but the smaller joshua tree variety called yYucca brevifolia v. jaegeriana is very hardy in denver.
i know because i have one that won't stop growing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here