Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cocurler

Steambank/Western Wheatgrasses/Sheep Fescue

COCurler
10 years ago

I'm putting together bp's mix. I have to buy a minimum quantity of each and mix myself. Does anyone need/want some of it?

Comments (9)

• david52 Zone 6
    10 years ago

I dunno how much extra you'll have, but you might consider planting the seed at a higher rate than normal, and certainly, hang onto a little extra to fill in any gaps that will undoubtedly show up.

Good luck with it!

• digit
    10 years ago

"BP" is bpgeen?

I get the idea of bp hanging out on the lawn and just loving it!

Hope so.

Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: one of BP's updates

• COCurler
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yep bpgreen. The posts are just so passionate and well thought out that I gotta try it! Problem is that I had to buy the minimum of each type of seed which times three or four is a Lot. I just can't decide if I should add the clover or not. I didn't see anything in the later posts that convinced me one way or the other.

Like david52 suggests Ill likely just keep the extra around until it won't germinate anymore. Pretty excited to get this lawn in shape.

• david52 Zone 6
    10 years ago

I add clover now to my lawn, and deliberately added some to the mix when I was grass-seeding a big chunk of recently scraped soil early last spring.

It will germinate quickly, help provide 'shelter' to the new seedlings, help choke out weeds, helps with erosion control until the grass gets going, and supply a slow, steady supply of nitrogen.

The drawback is that It will look like a lawn full of clover - but once you slow down on watering as the grass gets established, the grass will take over and the clover will die out. Now, that might take a couple of years.

If you don't do it, you'll very likely be dealing with more weeds.

I wish I could do a side-by-side experiment, same time, same weather, same conditions, and determine what works better.

• COCurler
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm convinced. Now I just gotta convince my other half. Might get a chance to try that experiment.

• jaliranchr
    10 years ago

Good luck, COCurler. I have to chuckle that my lawn is the greenest on the street right now. I mean a nice, healthy green. I need to mow, unfortunately, but I can deal with that. Yeah, that crazy lady on the corner, right!

• fortknight
    9 years ago

Hey COCurler, did you have any luck with this? I'm hoping to do something similar.

• COCurler
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry on vacation and took awhile to get to this email. We planted a little late (June) so it's been slow going. If I did it again I'd have done a better job of mulching and timed it better but it looks better every day and I'd use the same mix. Anywhere it had cover came in much much better. Lessons learned ::

• fortknight
    9 years ago

Did you mulch with coffee grounds? I think that's what a lot of people have done. Also, did you take the same route as bp and overseed, or did you go with the nuclear option?