Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jclepine

The snow HAD melted...

jclepine
13 years ago

And then we woke up to a beautiful morning in which everything is covered in snow. Woke up to about 14 inches, snuggled back down. I just measured again since it stopped snowing and the pack is starting to smoosh down and we had 18 inches!

Wheeeee!

Yeah, I'm all excited but I'd really like to start getting some seeds in the ground. Patience.

Did you all get any snow?

Jennifer

Comments (10)

• dsieber
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

You are lucky. We just got a 1/4-1/2 ".

• TVo_
    13 years ago

I think you mean WE were lucky! I'm so ready for spring and plants and sunshine!

I'm ok without snow for a while...

• gjcore
    13 years ago

We didn't get any snow but we did get quite a bit of rain last night. It rained off and on during the night and really hard for about 30 minutes around 9 PM. I need to get a rain gauge.

• jclepine
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yeah, we all our lucky. We needed that precipitation but it is going to slow down my gardening process. Sigh, I'm NOT complaining and I already was expecting a late snow and am still expecting at least one more big snow. Still, I have seedlings, many of which are ready to be planted, before they hit the ceiling hopefully.

I also want a rain gauge. I had fun running around outside in the snow with the ruler. It wasn't cold, it was just beautiful!

• luvsdirt
    13 years ago

Yes, we got some snow as well only about 3/4", But what a Wonderful day it turned out to be!! By 1:00 the snow had all melted away and the grass and plants seemed so happy!!

Sadly the weeds really enjoyed it as well.....and so the battle begins....(note to self: waving yard tools and speaking foul language only encourages them.)

Happy Gardening

• kvenkat
    13 years ago

Just fog and drizzle for us this morning and then the sun came out late in the afternoon.

A rain gauge? You might get to use it, what, 3x per year? LOL :-) I want an outdoor thermometer.

• digit
    13 years ago

This is a little funny, J.

Last night, I typed out that I read your post at lunchtime then went out to work in the greenhouse. There were a couple of times when I thought of it out there and I nearly raced in to report that it was "snooowwwing" here, too! But, I didn't do that - snow didn't amount to much and more graupel than snow.

As I am writing this last night, I realize that big clouds are moving in again. Maybe I can report that it is "snooowwwing" here still! So, I waited to hit that "Submit" button.

A few minutes later, I'm falling asleep. Closed all the windows and shut off the computer. Came back this morning to the thread and wondered, 'Where the heck did my snow report go?'

This morning it's all wet out there, windy and wet. I don't know if it snowed or not, LOL!

Oh, the snow is still around but only piled in the corners of the largest parking lots. The graupel is a fairly common occurrence on a nearly daily basis.

Tomorrow marks 3 months since my outdoor thermometer rose above 50F for the 1st time in 2011. Yes, January 16th: it was above 50. Wonderful!

Three months I have waited for it rise - just once - above 60F! Three months!

Sunday it is supposed to be sunny! Predicted high: 50F. I am so weather weary . . .

Yesterday, I got some flats of cool-season stuff moved from the greenhouse into the plastic tunnel. So there's a little extra room out there. Maybe I'll set up a hammock amongst AAALL my tomato plants!

Steve

Click on the Snowman before he hits you with a snow ball!

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    13 years ago

No snow here, but I did get about 4/10" of rain over several hours. Certainly not a lot, but I was absolutely delighted to get it--the most I've gotten for a LONG time! I ran out late in the evening--in the rain--to put the rain gauge back out. Didn't do it earlier because I was afraid I'd break ANOTHER one if there was water in it and it got down to freezing, but it didn't look like it was gonna get quite that cold here, and after it had already been raining for about an hour, I got really curious and decided to chance it! The gauge had 3/10" yesterday morning, and I estimated the other tenth for the hour it wasn't out there! Everything was so "bright and perky" looking yesterday morning--it was wonderful to just stand and look at it! The wind has picked up like crazy around here now, and it will be going SLURP with the moisture I did get! Thank you, Wind!!!

Sorry about your temps, Digit! I'd be dying in conditions like that too! I'm so glad it's been warm enough down here that I've been able to be outside much of the winter. Being stuck inside gets to me! But I am getting tired already of carrying all my plants in and out and in and out.......... Sixteen flats of swap plants stay outside but go up and down off of the deck where they're more sheltered most nites, and there's some more that I started inside plus the things I overwintered inside that are getting their daily dose of sun and wind now---and now I'm carrying the tomatoes and other veggies/annuals I've started in and out every day! Getting to be quite a project! Exercise is good for ya---they say!!! Hope you start warming up, up there soon--even if it's for YOU more than the plants!!! (I've been up to 80 already once this year! HUH???)

Jennifer, is the wind (I'm SURE you're getting more out there than we are down here!) starting to knock the snow back down for you?

For those of you looking for a rain gauge, I really love the kind I have with BIG numbers! I have it (about 3-4 yards) outside of my "garden level" family room window, so when I'm looking at it, I'm on just about the same level as it, and with the big numbers, I can pretty accurately see how much I've gotten even without going out into the yard to look at it. When there's water in it, it magnifies the numbers even more. And I get them at Walmart for only about $5 each---at least that's what they were last year! But when you get one--whatever kind you get--be sure there's no water in it overnite on nites when it might freeze! It's not very "accurate" when there's a hole in the bottom! ;-)

For a while it was sounding like we might get some more decent precip in the next week, but looking at NOAA (which was down most of yesterday), it's looking less and less likely! But I'm gonna keep my fingers crossed!

Fingers crossed, toes crossed, eyes crossed,
    Skybird

Here is a link that might be useful: The rain gauge I use!

• gjcore
    13 years ago

skybird said "and now I'm carrying the tomatoes and other veggies/annuals I've started in and out every day! Getting to be quite a project!"

It seems easy enough to move the trays in and out, I'm up to eight trays right now plus 2 trays worth in the coldframe, it's the checking the moisture levels and watering that takes way more time. I do like the exercise in the morning to get my blood going.

• jclepine
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The winds ARE always going it seems. This year, we've had hardly any snow so we didn't get our annual snow-dune-of-annoyance-and-amusement this time. Phew! I can't complain, we need and I mean N-E-E-D the precipitation.

But, okay, I'll complain just once:
    I'd really like to get started in the garden OUTSIDE. As usual, all the snow had just melted, well, almost all of it which means I was going to go on a dog-doo adventure and hunt down all of it and trash it. It knows, every year, the day I decide "perfect time to go on a clean-up", it dumps (pun intended) tons of snow. And, the tomatoes are so tall and ready to be re-potted and hang out in the yard for their hardening off. Not yet!

Fine. The snowshoes are in the trunk so we can always be on the ready for fun. The winter coats won't be put a way for a while. hah!

You made me laugh, Steve! We get an almost daily grauple too, or so it seems. I won't do what you did, I'm going to send this post even though I'm about to head out the door...