Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will the Cannas I planted yesterday survive?

Posted by jillybillyg 5 - Longmont (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 26, 08 at 13:23

Hi everyone,
It's snowing here in Longmont. :( Will the Cannas I planted yesterday live through tonights cold weather?
JJ

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will the Cannas I planted yesterday survive?

• Posted by skybird z5, Denver, CO (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 26, 08 at 14:02

NOAA shows you down to 25 overnite, JJ. Are the canas in the ground rather than a pot? If so, I recommend putting corrugated cardboard boxes over them and covering it with plastic to keep them dry so they dont collapse. Canas freeze pretty easily, and I wouldnt trust them to be ok with no protection at all. Radar isnt showing very much, so the snow probably wont last long, but I definitely would find a way to insulate them and the soil around them overnite.

Send some of the snow down Thornton way! The suns trying to come out!
Skybird

o

I actually just planted the rhizomes. They are still underground. Do you think I should put something on top of the ground?

It did snow for just a little bit today, turned out to be nothing. Just overcast now.

o

• Posted by skybird z5, Denver, CO (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 26, 08 at 16:41

Yeah! That's what I meant for you to cover! They might be ok, but, in my experience, they freeze, or at least get damaged, very quickly, and if it were me, I'd play it safe in this case. Anything that will ensure the soil around it stays above freezing will be ok. Corrugated boxes are really good insulation if you have any around---and if it looks like the snow is over with, they wouldn't need to be covered with plastic.

I finally got 10 flakes of snow down here too!
Skybird

o

Thanks Skybird,
I will cover them tonight. Glad to hear you got at least 10 flakes. Isn't the weather weird today? Hoping you have a fabulous week of gardening ahead. JJ

o

Around here, the general rule is to wait until Mother's Day to plant anything tender, and I think Cannas should be treated the same way. You could probably cheat a week or so, since they're just the rhizomes, but my instinct is to not push it this early with something as tender as Cannas. But then again, I've never grown them!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here