Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone want to plant name that weed/flower?

Posted by gjcore 5 South Aurora Co. (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 7, 11 at 14:10

I've never seen this plant in my garden before but it sure seems to be popping up all around. Does anyone have a guess as to what this is? The picture quality could be better as I broke my digital camera not long ago and have to use my phone for now.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone want to plant name that weed/flower?

• Posted by gjcore 5 South Aurora Co. (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 7, 11 at 14:12

Sorry the post name should have been Anyone want to "play" name that weed/flower?

o

Well, I certainly have this one as a weed in my garden; could it be the same:

Here is a link that might be useful: Cutleaf Geranium CalPhoto's

o

The leaves are similar to a geranium, but I think it's something far more dangerous! I'm almost certain you have ground ivy, Glechoma hederacea! Nasty stuff! It's in the mint family, so check the stems and see if they feel square to you. If so, that pretty much confirms it! Do anything and everything you can to get rid of it before it gets totally out of hand. It spreads aggressively by runners, and I'm pretty sure it "violently" reseeds too! Stop it now!

Google for images of ground ivy and you should find plenty of pics to be sure if that's what you have.

Good luck,
Skybird

P.S. Believe it or not, that stuff is still sold commercially as a ground cover! Especially the variegated version! Well--it DEFINITELY does COVER GROUND!

Here is a link that might be useful: Ground Ivy - Glechoma hederacea

o

Also of the mint family, I think it resembles this....

Henbit - Lamium amplexicaule

Connie

o

Wow! They're sure close! I think you get the prize, Connie! I'm not familiar with that one!

Let us know what you decide it is, GJ!

Skybird

o

Fragrance would be an indication of ground ivy.

Does henbit schtink like that? Both would have square stems.

It may have to stop snowing first but I'll soon have lots of the geranium weeds, sorry to say . . .

Steve

o

Yep, I have that stuff, too. When I first moved to CO and found this growing, and thought "Oh, how nice. A wild geranium!". Didn't take too long to figure out it was a weed that indeed would come up everywhere. Kinda of nice for areas you don't want to do anything with, and have something green growing. But it does get fairly invasive, so a nuisance in areas you don't want it. I found it fairly easy to pull up, but it just keeps coming back if you don't put some kind of weed control spay on it.

Marj

o

• Posted by gjcore 5 South Aurora Co. (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 7, 11 at 22:49

Yes it seems to be the Henbit. I'll pull or hoe it for now. I'm reserving the roundup for bindweed. I try to be organic as possible but I'm not against spot spraying. That said I bombed a third of my front lawn today with roundup and then threw 4 inches of compost over it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here