Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cinderspritzer

Unidentified flower

cinderspritzer
12 years ago

I saw these at the plant nursery and no one knows what they are. I bought one today (just because it's pretty), and when rung up, it just says "perennial".

Does anyone know what it is?

Comments (8)

• highalttransplant
    12 years ago

Looks like some type of Scabiosa, also known as Pincushion Flower. There are both perennial and annual varieties.

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    12 years ago

It's an Armeria, and while I can't be positive without seeing it in person, I believe it's Armeria pseudarmeria (not "pseudo"). Are the flowers scented (spicy like carnations)--each color with a slightly different scent?

If that's what it is it shouldn't be blooming for a couple more months (summer), so it was either brought in from out of state or it was grown inside, so if you plant it outside now keep an eye on the overnite temps and stick a pot or box over it if it's going down to freezing for the next couple weeks--just to be sure.

I love 'em,
    Skybird

• highalttransplant
    12 years ago

I was just coming back to suggest armeria, but Skybird beat me to it, LOL! I couldn't find a multi-colored variety, like the one in the photo though.

12 years ago

We were posting at the same time! Didja see our posts are a minute apart!

A. pseudarmeria is the only one I know of that comes in mixed colors, Bonnie. (Which is why I'm virtually certain that's what it is!) Shades of pink are the most common, but if you google it you'll find the white and lavenders too. What I really like about it is the scent, but it's also great because it has larger flowers than the other Armerias, and they get 12-18" tall, which makes it much more showy than many of the other ones. If you keep it deadheaded regularly, Cinder, it should bloom most of the summer for you (not positive that'll work for you this year since it was forced to start blooming early and since it's being transplanted. Don't disturb the roots when you put it in the ground.). VERY easy to collect seed (if you leave some of it mature later in the summer--or leave a couple flowers mature earlier) and very easy to germinate.

I just moved mine to a sunnier location for this summer--it was getting too leggy and not doing well where it's been for the last couple years. Started mine from seed I collected when I was at Paulino's, and it turned out to be a couple shades of pink, but I'm planning to start some more (maybe WS next year!) to see if I can get lavender or white! If you decide to come to the Spring Swap, Bonnie, and would like some seed, remind me and I'll bring some for ya!

I think it's wonderful that you got one with "all" the colors, Cinder!

Skybird

• cinderspritzer
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks much for the help!

I plan to keep it inside with the other plants until after the last frost, as I won't have gardens cleaned up and planned out for at least that long :)

12 years ago

I recommend keeping them outside in a sunny place till you can plant them in the ground, Cinder. They're not gonna be at all happy with the conditions inside for that long and it'll be much harder on them when you transplant them is they're not already accustomed to the light and wind and temps outside. I checked NOAA and the only nite I see that could possibly be a problem is Friday nite, and you could either throw an old blanket or sheet over them for that nite or bring them in just overnite. Anything that's 35 degrees or above they should be fine--any hardy perennials like the Armeria.

Good luck with all your projects,
    Skybird

• Azura
    12 years ago

They are selling these at my Home Depot now. Thrift or sea pinks in a round yellow pot for $2.50. I was sorely tempted!

• cinderspritzer
    Original Author
    12 years ago

These things can sure take a beating from the wind. Mine was out on the back deck yesterday in 20+ mph winds, and it's doing fine. The rest of my plants were NOT as happy.