Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do you have bees yet?

Posted by michelle_co z5 CO (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 15, 08 at 15:10

I have bees buzzing the hyacinth, and tiny beelike things buzzing the Japanese Willow! Maybe there is a hive near my house? That would be fine with me.

Who else is seeing bees in the garden?

Cheers,
Michelle

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do you have bees yet?

Those little ones around the willows are there, and they're coming into the greenhouse to check on the flowers. I saw a 3' garter snake today.

o

What ARE those little willow bees?? They sure are tiny.

Yep, piles of garter snakes are about. They overwinter in the cellar stairs, and I can't walk anywhere in the garden without tripping over a snake. :-) They are in big trouble if I get my hands on some guinea keets...

What's flowering in the GH? My coldframe roses are setting buds... The outdoor catmint is getting ready to pop, and the first tulip was open today.

Cheers,
Michelle

o

No bees here as yet. I have seen paper wasps, some cabbage moths and a fly or two, but no bees. :-(

Holly

o

I was just out front putting down some crabgrass control on the yard, and saw one of those huge fuzzy bees.

Scared the fertilizer out of me.

o

Until the most recent chilly weather, there were yellow jackets showing up regularly in the greenhouse. They can come in when the vents are open.

More pleasant companions - the butterflies have been out whenever the temperature rises above 50F. Hard for me to believe, but fritillaries and admirals (I think they are) shoot thru every few minutes on a warm afternoon! What they are up to when we aren't having warm afternoons - I have no idea.

digitS'

o

Has anyone tried beekeeping? I have been doing some reading, and thought that a small hive would be a reasonable addition to the farm. If the bees already like it here, might as well give them a hut and charge them some honey for my troubles. :-)

Cheers,
Michelle

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here